Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liberty Hotel Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by bhrubin
When the two choices are The Liberty, a luxury category hotel, and the RI Seaport, not even close to a better service hotel, I think it's fair to say that the choice is quite an unusual one. Apples to oranges if ever I saw it.

Also, SNAs rarely will clear at The Liberty since there are so few suites overall.
Hahahaha -- your point is very valid, and completely correct that it's apples to oranges. However, we stayed over a weekend that was full of area graduations so there were slim pickings. My parents and I definitely value the extra space when traveling together, so sometimes foregoing the "full-service/luxury" aspect (especially when we realistically are only at the hotel to sleep) was appropriate.

If it were up to me (and if we were only traveling with 2 people instead of 3 in the party), I would pick the Liberty based on the content in this thread. However, with the correct expectations the RI Seaport was a pleasant property and much nicer than your average RI.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
Hahahaha -- your point is very valid, and completely correct that it's apples to oranges. However, we stayed over a weekend that was full of area graduations so there were slim pickings. My parents and I definitely value the extra space when traveling together, so sometimes foregoing the "full-service/luxury" aspect (especially when we realistically are only at the hotel to sleep) was appropriate.

If it were up to me (and if we were only traveling with 2 people instead of 3 in the party), I would pick the Liberty based on the content in this thread. However, with the correct expectations the RI Seaport was a pleasant property and much nicer than your average RI.
I'm glad you had a good RI stay. It certainy was worth mentioning that it was graduation weekend with little availability.

With temps as high as they can be in summer, and the air con failures I experienced at The Liberty, I'd be extremely cautious about The Liberty--and definitely NOT want a suite, since those all are in the wing with air con problems!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:37 am

I'm glad you had a good RI stay. It certainy was worth mentioning that it was graduation weekend with little availability.

With temps as high as they can be in summer, and the air con failures I experienced at The Liberty, I'd be extremely cautious about The Liberty--and definitely NOT want a suite, since those all are in the wing with air con problems!
Apologies for leaving that out. Funny enough our friends stayed at the Sheraton and I took a peek in there and even the RI seemed much nicer than the Sheraton.

I actually did make a reservation at CLINK at the Liberty for a Friday night but cancelled after finding we had other dinner plans in Cambridge (Pagu, highly recommend).

I do plan on returning to Boston and staying at the Liberty though, it looks like a very charming place (and all the staff I interacted with on the phone were delightful). Disappointing to hear the aircon issues though. That would be something that would steer me clear away (I love a good 66 degree room when I sleep!).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by bj27
Apologies for leaving that out. Funny enough our friends stayed at the Sheraton and I took a peek in there and even the RI seemed much nicer than the Sheraton.

I actually did make a reservation at CLINK at the Liberty for a Friday night but cancelled after finding we had other dinner plans in Cambridge (Pagu, highly recommend).

I do plan on returning to Boston and staying at the Liberty though, it looks like a very charming place (and all the staff I interacted with on the phone were delightful). Disappointing to hear the aircon issues though. That would be something that would steer me clear away (I love a good 66 degree room when I sleep!).
Please do read my review posted at the top of this thread. The Liberty suffers some major air con issues in its one wing with the suites. That and its terrible service follow-through by the current GM and management team ensures that I won't return unless new air con is installed and a new management team with better service ethos should take over.

The Sheraton Boston is just...OK. It's a huge convention hotel. I've stayed many times.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Is the plat breakfast still offered at SCAMPO downstairs?
No, it's at Clink. I don't recall it ever being offered at Scampo? Still, pretty good Plat breakfast, and recently enhanced to include additional items.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Please do read my review posted at the top of this thread. The Liberty suffers some major air con issues in its one wing with the suites. That and its terrible service follow-through by the current GM and management team ensures that I won't return unless new air con is installed and a new management team with better service ethos should take over.

The Sheraton Boston is just...OK. It's a huge convention hotel. I've stayed many times.
I did read your review back in March when it was posted but to be honest did not thoroughly read through the aircon issues. Upon rereading it sounds like a terrible experience and I'm disappointed the property let you down.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
No, it's at Clink. I don't recall it ever being offered at Scampo? Still, pretty good Plat breakfast, and recently enhanced to include additional items.
Thanks. I've decided to stay here in two weeks so will report back on the apparent heated issues (no pun intended):

Aircon
Service Level
Crowd in lobby area during evenings
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I'm entertained that the Director of Rooms (PG) posted a response to my TripAdvisor review, asking me to contact him (but leaving no email address as with some other comparable reviews).

Considering my review indicated I'd already spoken with the GM, this TripAdvisor response seemed either (1) a pretty lame follow up attempt to address what happened and make it right/better, or (2) a PR stunt with a perfunctory response to a negative TripAdvisor review with no real care or intention of any further action.

I called today and spoke with PG. To say that it was the latter PR stunt and perfunctory response is an understatement. He had no idea that I'd spoken with the GM, even though the review clearly states I had. He couldn't even deny that the response was nothing more than PR to try and look good.

This hotel management team is truly woeful. Presented with another opportunity to help heal what happened to me, they ducked and admitted their left hand again has no idea what their right hand is doing.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
This hotel management team is truly woeful. Presented with another opportunity to help heal what happened to me, they ducked and admitted their left hand again has no idea what their right hand is doing.
I agree with you that management team does have problem

I booked 5 rooms for one night in late April. End up three of the five rooms charged 2x facilities fees while the other two charged 1x... My secretary noted that and kept email the hotel for rectification with nearly no response... End up she need to ask SPG for help and after some time the charge was quietly reversed to my credit card with no further ...

OK this is not unique to Liberty (as the same happened to me in another SPG hotel in the same trip.... I doubt if this is the standard SPG properties practice in N.America) but I don't think I'll stay in these property the second time....
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Have an upcoming stay at Liberty. Are there any recent experiences Plat or otherwise?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
Have an upcoming stay at Liberty. Are there any recent experiences Plat or otherwise?
Was there in May. Was upgraded to the best available room as far as I could tell, and breakfast was a choice of 2 items off a selection specifically listed in the menu. I had fruit and 3 larger sausages.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm entertained that the Director of Rooms (PG) posted a response to my TripAdvisor review, asking me to contact him (but leaving no email address as with some other comparable reviews).

Considering my review indicated I'd already spoken with the GM, this TripAdvisor response seemed either (1) a pretty lame follow up attempt to address what happened and make it right/better, or (2) a PR stunt with a perfunctory response to a negative TripAdvisor review with no real care or intention of any further action.

I called today and spoke with PG. To say that it was the latter PR stunt and perfunctory response is an understatement. He had no idea that I'd spoken with the GM, even though the review clearly states I had. He couldn't even deny that the response was nothing more than PR to try and look good.

Not surprising at all.

The tone from management at this property is completely different from any other interactions/exchanges I've had with hotel management at other properties. I still love the hard product of the Liberty and I've grown to appreciate the location, but when there are issues or simple requests for accommodations, the management team has a special way of making you feel unimportant and unappreciated.

I'm starting to think this may be a Boston thing though, because I'm in the process of dealing with an equally inept management team at another hotel in town.

Last edited by spgplat21; Aug 3, 2018 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Stayed here for the first time this past week -- thought it was nice and the staff appeared to be on their game. I had a decent ("Deluxe") room, which is what I think I booked. Everything in my room worked fine -- only "complaint" I'd have is there didn't appear to be a Green Choice option so I just left the Do Not Distrub sign up.

Breakfast was at Clink, and I ordered 3 things one day and two the next -- was told my breakfast voucher covered everything both days. I think the first day breakfast ended up being 4 eggs, 3 large sausages and a bowl of fruit. I rarely leave food behind (and I was hungry that first day since I had a crappy on-the-run dinner), but I couldn't finish all that. Second day was yogurt and a bowl of fruit. Food quality was very good
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I stayed here twice on the same day. My first time and my last time. The history and building were good however 3 different staff members were happy to express just how much of a burden I was to them. I have never felt so unwelcomed at any other property anywhere. Absolutely atrocious.

I wouldn't even go back for a free stay!

James
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:57 pm

I'm here right now and just checked in.

The app shows the highest room category as the Corner Grand Deluxe being available for the length of my stay, though the front desk manager said it's only available starting tomorrow... Which is fine... and he offered me to move tomorrow, which I agreed to. So not sure what the room availability game is here (and I arrived plenty after check-in time, around 7pm so all rooms should be cleaned by now).

either way, not a huge deal, just sort of annoying to have to move for ~130 sqft

Was given 4 breakfast vouchers worth $50 each for CLINK -- seems decent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.