Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Peruvian Tax Information

Per local tax laws, an 18% tax must be paid by Peruvian citizens and foreigners staying more than 59 days in Peru. To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.

01/04/24 - e-mail address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Did you take a taxi from the airport or did you pre arrange a transfer with the hotel?
I highly recommend Taxidatum. Based on their TA reviews, I bet the farm and pre-booked them for LIM and CUZ airports and Poroy train station - 8 trips in all. Driver was there, waiting, with my name on a board, easy to find, every time. And the prices were same or lower than what most folks recommend targeting for negotiations. (No English-speaking drivers, but no problems even with our non-Spanish speaking family. "Hola", the hotel name and "gracias" was about all I needed. And understanding "mucho trafiico", "pico traffico", "veinte minutes" etc)

CUZ-hotel:
Hotel-arranged airport transportation - $18 each way per guest.
Taxidatum - $7 (or S/20) per car - family of 4 in my case - each way (it's 4 miles, 15 minutes without traffic. No tipping in Peru for cabs)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydfan
I have a question about the TAX in the wiki...

To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.
They got rid of those last year. You'll find "don't lose the little white card they give you entering the country" littered across the recommendation sites. It doesn't exist any more. I never showed anyone anything other than my passport.

Whichever wiki you are reading needs to be updated. See discussion here
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sydfan

I am citizen, born and raised in the USA, I only have a USA Passport, what exactly is "an immigration card". I know what a green card is, but why would I need that? Can anyone answer this?

Thanks
It's a stamped copy of the landing card. The airline should give you a blank copy before arrival. You just fill it out, Peruvian immigration stamps it, and gives you a copy. At least that's how it worked for me.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
It's a stamped copy of the landing card. The airline should give you a blank copy before arrival. You just fill it out, Peruvian immigration stamps it, and gives you a copy. At least that's how it worked for me.
Before late last year, I assume? Or different for other nationalities?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any recent stay reports especially as platinum?

had anyone book a room with prepaid rate and got 18% tax refunded at check-out?

after researching, i found that the custom at Lima airport will not give you a copy of an immigration card anymore.

so basically i will not have this docement to be presented to the hotel. therefore i might not be eligible to be exempted from this tax.

i just want to confirm they will refund this tax back to my card at check-out. (im foreigner visitor staying less than 59 days in peru.)

and im debating between this hotel and jw marriott cusco, which ones seem to be better option? any thoughts?

thank you

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
We stayed in July as non-residents and did not pay the 18%. The hotel should remove it automatically. By the way, the hotel is wonderful, one of the most interesting I've ever stayed at in my travels.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by unclepants
We stayed in July as non-residents and did not pay the 18%. The hotel should remove it automatically. By the way, the hotel is wonderful, one of the most interesting I've ever stayed at in my travels.
I second that. As a Platinum in April 2016 we were upgraded to a very nice suite, with a unique local feel. The staff were extremely friendly throughout. I haven't stayed at the JW but also stayed at the TDI in Urubamba and highly recommend as well.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:43 pm

I'm planning our upcoming trip to Peru in April and booking both the Palacio and Tambo del Inka during our time there. As a lowly SPG gold do you think it might be worth upgrading from a standard award to a deluxe room - both apparently are available for cash and points and the deluxe room is an additional 500 pts + $20 + tax a night. For a couple of nights it won't add up to too much and I'm afraid the room they assign to a Gold will likely be on the smaller side? Thank you for in advance for any insight!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Having stayed at both hotels in December, I would say it won't make a difference at Tambo because all the rooms are standardized. The view is the difference between standard and deluxe room. However, you can consider the upgrade for Palacio because some of the rooms there can be quite small.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by l380
Having stayed at both hotels in December, I would say it won't make a difference at Tambo because all the rooms are standardized. The view is the difference between standard and deluxe room. However, you can consider the upgrade for Palacio because some of the rooms there can be quite small.
How was weather in December? Did it rain the whole time? Did you go to Machu Picchu? Thinking of going this Xmas but worried about weather. Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by l380
thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply! i think i'll go with the deluxe room at the palacio del inka just to guarantee a bigger room, although it seems they routinely upgrade gold members to deluxe rooms. thanks again!!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights

How was weather in December? Did it rain the whole time? Did you go to Machu Picchu? Thinking of going this Xmas but worried about weather. Thanks
As December is Peru's wet summer season, the weather is going to be a gamble but there will not be any crowds and long lineup. And yes, we went to Machu Picchu. Twice actually! On the first day, Boxing Day, we went up to MP in the afternoon and it was fine with slight fog. The fog did clear up too. On the second day, we went up in the morning and encountered heavy fog. Eventually the fog turned into heavy rain which lasted for the rest of the day. According to our guide, the weather was fantastic on Christmas Day with clear blue sky. So it really depends on your luck. Hope this helps! If I have time, I will try to write a trip report on this!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Thanks! Appreciate the info
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
We’re a Canadian family who entered Peru from Bolivia overland. We were given the white immigration cards and we had to show this to have the Peruvian tax reversed at all of the hotels we stayed in.

That said, we stayed at the Palacio 11-17 January 2018 with different rates over the six nights.We were told the taxes and ‘destination fee’ for the prepaid rates could not be refunded since they’d already been billed. The taxes were waived for Cash & Points as well as Best Available.

We have two Platinum 50 accounts. Unlike many other hotels, they auto upgraded the kids’ room to a Junior Suite as well as ours. Usually we only get one upgraded room.

After a bit of mild protest, the destination fee was waived for the non prepaid nights in lieu of welcome points for breakfast.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
any recent stay reports especially as platinum?

had anyone book a room with prepaid rate and got 18% tax refunded at check-out?

after researching, i found that the custom at Lima airport will not give you a copy of an immigration card anymore.

so basically i will not have this docement to be presented to the hotel. therefore i might not be eligible to be exempted from this tax.

i just want to confirm they will refund this tax back to my card at check-out. (im foreigner visitor staying less than 59 days in peru.)

and im debating between this hotel and jw marriott cusco, which ones seem to be better option? any thoughts?

thank you

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
The front desk told us there was no way to refund us the Peruvian Resident tax or the destination fee because the rate was prepaid. This was January 2018. Two Platinum accounts for our family of five (two rooms). Fortunately we only booked one of the six nights with the prepaid rate.

i argued/made suggestions a bit but gave up.

The Platinum amenity was an issue for us as well. The front desk insisted on the destination fee even though most benefits would have been a given for us. The two Pisco Sours weren’t worth the $30 USD per day so when the manager greeted us I asked about it. He told us all nights would be waived as our Platinum amenity. In the end, we lost our welcome bonus for breakfast, plus the first night destination fee was not refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.