Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Peruvian Tax Information

Per local tax laws, an 18% tax must be paid by Peruvian citizens and foreigners staying more than 59 days in Peru. To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.

01/04/24 - e-mail address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I mentioned upthread re: destination fee. I have a paid stay mid-April, Platinum. I e-mailed with the property re: destination fee; destination fee is waived for Platinums. Not only is JW more expensive, it would not waive the destination fee. FWIW...

Undecided re: SNAs. I'll likely take my chances as this is a solo trip, so if no upgrade, not a big deal.
My stay starts tomorrow. It will be interesting.

I got an e-mail stating that my SNAs cleared, but the room type in the app is a king with separate shower/tub. No mention re: 'suites'.

The e-mail also includes a lot of 'to be expected' restrictions and only the mention of an a la carte breakfast - nothing about a buffet.

Finally, I received Adobe versions of forms for check-in that I am requested to complete in advance to minimize Covid exposure to staff. The forms include the destination fee, which already confirmed via e-mail, is waived for Platinum and above. For that reason, I am not returning those forms.

I'll report back.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:29 am

Getting here: as a result of my indecision, I wasted at least an hour for a 15 minute drive from the airport. The hotel quoted 30 Sol for up to two people. Seemed like a lot to me. I tried Uber; estimate cost of 20-25 Sol. While I could see cars in the vicinity of the airport, none picked up the fare and I gave up after three tries (totaling about 30 minutes). I then tried a taxi. The ‘official’ taxi manager at the taxi stand, quoted 40 Sol. At this point, I agreed to it, along with a comment about ripping off tourists. He called someone. I waited another 15 minutes for the taxi. No taxi. I asked him via Google translate when the taxi would arrive. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away. OK, I called the property to see if it could arrange transportation at the last minute. I was transferred to the concierge, but no answer. Back to Uber. This time, a driver responded immediately and was 4 minutes out. The Uber ride was 22 Sol, afternoon of Good Friday. Note – not sure if it was because it was Good Friday, or for some other reason, all of the roads were blocked around the hotel. The driver let me out and pointed me up the hill. I passed a bellhop going downhill with luggage. I only mention this because with a roller bag, going uphill, on a cobblestone street, with thin oxygen was a challenge.

Check-in: the usual – recognition as a Platinum, passport, and credit card; friendly agent. But it took so long. She gave me the usual agreement to sign. It was almost $100 more than my reservation (I always print this stuff for non-US stays). And my reservation did include taxes, service fee, destination fee. I questioned the higher rate; she did not have an explanation. I also gently reminded her that I had only been in the country for 8 days and I should be exempt from the 18% tax. Puzzled look, lots of keystrokes, visit to the back office, and she removed the taxes. I should have also told her at the same time (and saved 10 minutes) that I had an e-mail stating that the destination fee would be waived for Platinums. I did so now, and back to the puzzled look, may I see the e-mail (again printed in advance), keystrokes, visit to the back office, and problem resolved. But the cost was still considerably over what was quoted on the reservation. More keystrokes, but no visit to the back office this time, and problem resolved. I never received an explanation as to the difference. She then went over the Platinum benefits.

The reason I asked about the destination fee being waived is that it was of minimal value to a solo traveler, breakfast was included in the paid rate, and Internet is included for Platinums. This property had a 10% discount for food and beverage items, I think for all Bonvoy members. And proactive late checkout was offered, but not required in my case. I did participate in the hotel tour (5 PM each day); as it is a very historic property, it was well worth my time to learn about it. And I participated in the pisco sour construction demonstration.

I was upgraded to the king Palace Suite (website pics are better than mine). I also found a plate of chocolate covered fruits and a personal note in the room. The room was perfect – absolutely no issues.

There was turndown service each night. And I did take advantage of a room refresh each day (something I rarely ever do). One thing I continue to not understand is the 'hang your towels' to save the environment. At home I get multiple uses from a bath towel and always do so at hotels also. Each turndown service and room refresh, all used towels were replaced (I can't imagine that the used towels are just refolded and placed on the clean pile).

I made use of the bar a couple of times as well as the breakfast buffet. The staff was absolutely fantastic; addressed me by Mr. firstname at every interaction (which I do not find necessary). No skimping on the gin for my G&Ts. The breakfast buffet was quite extensive; regularly refilled. And all items like fruit and juice were fresh. My only qualm was that there are a few cooked to order options that I was not not made aware of until I heard someone nearby order eggs Benedict. When I asked about it, I was handed a menu.

Up until my next hotel, 5 days later, this is probably one of the nicest places I’ve stayed in the Marriott system.

Checkout: I was leaving for a 4D/3N Inca trail hike on the morning of checkout. Side note, at check-in, I mentioned that I didn’t need the late checkout because I’d be leaving at 5 AM. She proactively offered luggage storage and told me that my box breakfast would be ready at 4:30 AM. Anyhow, due to a general strike, the trail operator decided to leave Sunday night in order to avoid any road blockages and therefore the possibility of cancelling the hike. This situation was very much fluid. I asked if I could get out of the 3rd night without penalty and retain a late checkout after the 2nd night. It doesn’t hurt to ask, but it was a no go. I was offered the possibility of paying ½ the 3rd night’s rate and I could leave whenever I wanted before 7 PM. That was certainly fair!

I did go over my bill at checkout. It is complicated. If you are a person that goes over every detail, I suggest that you review your bill well in advance of your checkout. The F&B numbers were not adding up. Apparently the ‘system’ separates out the F&B tickets into a variety of categories. It all worked out, but it takes a few minutes. (Unlike my next property, also owned by Intursa.)

All in all, I highly recommend this property. It is within walking distance of the many sights in Cusco. I also recommend trying one of the free walking tours found on line. (Not really free – just a tip to the tour guide.)
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Palacio del Inka never disappoints

This is my go to hotel when in Cusco and they never disappoint. The treatment I got now is the same during SPG days.

About 2 months prior to check-in, I was proactively emailed by the manager informing me that I have been upgraded to one of their palace suites, which I am very happy about as I didn't have to waste any of my SNAs.

I then enquired if I am supposed to pay for the destination fee (which is now 35 USD), and he said since I have Lifetime Titanium I didn't have to pay such fees. No hassles about this upon check-in as well as check out. Everything was in order.

Benefits include free pisco sour and daily buffet breakfast plus 1000 points. Restaurant also proactively offered 10% discount for all food and beverage orders.

The Palace Suite itself (wouldn't really call it a "palace") was sufficient and very, very clean. It had 2 balconies overlooking Santo Domingo Cathedral.

Restaurant food was really really good as well. They had authentic Peruvian cuisine like Alpaca meat and ceviche, etc. They were very reasonable prices too. A huge portion of main course would be around 20$. Breakfast is also buffet style as well as made to order like Benedict, fajita, etc.

Ceviche

Spicy Shrim chowder

Lobby as always was very authentic.

And when in Cusco...

Cusco delicacy

But what's really, really great about this property is that everyone working here is just so helpful and friendly! There was never a stuck up attitude from anyone. The staffs really made my stay as relaxing and welcomed as possible.
dgreen12, dcmike, lamphs and 2 others like this.

Last edited by supatight80; Jun 18, 2022 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Pisco Sour Master Class

A great feature of this hotel is they do a Pisco Sour Masterclass every night at 1800. Please check it out below:
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Wanted to note that I got an undeliverable notice on the email in the wiki...
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
What is this about waived destination fees for Plat/Titanium? Is this a benefit everywhere now? or just at this property?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What is this about waived destination fees for Plat/Titanium? Is this a benefit everywhere now? or just at this property?
Definitely Not for all properties. Marriott Cusco doesn't waive them
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by supatight80
Definitely Not for all properties. Marriott Cusco doesn't waive them
Ah ok. I recall a property in SF that used to waive them for us and it was my go to property. It since left Marriott...

Love properties that waive fees for Plats/Titaniums. I wonder if there is a list here on FT?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 3:04 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Does anyone have the GMs email that they can PM me? Have a complicated stay coming up and want to see if they can handle it smoothly (so I can switch from the JW). TIA!
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Does anyone have the GMs email that they can PM me? Have a complicated stay coming up and want to see if they can handle it smoothly (so I can switch from the JW). TIA!
Try the address in the wiki.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lamphs
Try the address in the wiki.
this email don't exist anymore
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
this email don't exist anymore
Wiki updated.
GalaxyChris and reggiekush like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:02 am

Hello,

First time in Cusco. Comparing between JW Marriot and PDI. I keep hearing the rooms in PDI are smaller and no AC, is it really that bad? Only Gold here do y'all think I can get a room upgrade? Thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:08 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soopermark
Hello,

First time in Cusco. Comparing between JW Marriot and PDI. I keep hearing the rooms in PDI are smaller and no AC, is it really that bad? Only Gold here do y'all think I can get a room upgrade? Thank you!
I can't speak to the JW, but stayed at the PDI the first week in September and had no issues with room temperature. Fans were available and windows could be opened. As a Titanium, got upgraded to a nice suite with balcony. The staff were uniformly amazing. I had issues with the altitude and they couldn't have been more caring.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Short review of the hotel for a stay during January 2024.

First problem, until now I did not get the correct points matching my spending and room charge, the hotel confirmed that some points are missing but the Marriott representative don't answer anymore after a small correction with just the welcome points added.
Second problem, the destination fees, they did not wanted to remove it as a Titanium member, I insisted about that at check-in, but it was a firm NO. (It was the women who are managing the front desk, I am wondering why some people get it waived).

The positive was the upgrade to suite (small size junior suite with antic bathroom), the hotel is nice and we liked to be there, feeling like we are staying in a museum/historic place.
Food was good (breakfast and dinner), they do great pisco at the bar.

I get a welcome amenity in the room, but not in my name...

Pisco tasting at the bar

Breakfast area

Inka native doing his show

Welcome amenity but not in my name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.