Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold, Air Canada Elite
I live in Ontario, I think I decided I will switch my AMEX Aeroplan Platinum card for this one. I want another FREE Visa or MC as a back up. Recommendations would be appreciated. Shoppers MC is noted......

Originally Posted by jennieG
I have been an Amex user since 1995 in Canada and went through various cards (Gold/Plat) through the years (some I paid for, other times the fees were waived due to other business I had with them) and even when we moved to the US.

I have always been very happy with their incredible service and have yet seen a comprehensive website as theirs to explain what is going with my numerous cards. I enjoyed their credit secure services as well as baggage plan (which I had to use during one conference in Munich when my luggage was lost and they were super). All this was in the US. Coming back to Canada has been a pain re: credit. Amex Canada is not as friendly and helpful. Their website is horrible.

It will be interesting to see what is the fee for this new Amex card. I like SPG points since I can get free stays for my parents at luxurious hotels which they cannot afford. However Amex is indeed not as widely used as MC or Visa. It will take some time to organise how to do the household spending but I believe that if the fee is reasonable, the 1:1 ratio should be worth it.

As for MBNA cards, I also have a Shopper's card and that will be my backup MC card since I go there often and can earn 25x Shopper's points on regular purchases which I then redeem for cosmetics.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:57 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Canadian AmEx SPG credit card

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I just saw it.

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...aunch_ty.shtml

Anyone with insights please do share.

Thanx
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:43 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by kups
I live in Ontario, I think I decided I will switch my AMEX Aeroplan Platinum card for this one. I want another FREE Visa or MC as a back up. Recommendations would be appreciated. Shoppers MC is noted......
I have an AeroplanPlus Gold card and my backup card is CIBC Dividend Visa. It pays upto 1% cash back (>3000 annual spending) and comes with no annual fee.
There is also BMO's MC cash back gives variable returns depending on where you shop.

The other option would be capital one cash back platinum card. Its also comes without an annual fee and gives out upto 1% cash back.

I think these two in addition to Shoppers MC and BMO's airmiles are the best.

If you really spend almost everything on your AmEx it might be wise to go with a cashback card since you won't be using it that much which means you won't collect enough points to do anything with them. Cashback seems the best way to go.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
got an invite^ on Friday to a pre-launch in Toronto on FEb 24th but can't go as I am in Argentina. Seems like it might be an interesting time to get a new AMEX Starwood card.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:51 pm
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
got an invite^ on Friday to a pre-launch in Toronto on FEb 24th but can't go as I am in Argentina. Seems like it might be an interesting time to get a new AMEX Starwood card.
I received an invite too (on another forum) and will be there. If no one else from this forum is invited I'll post what I learn here.

Last edited by JWL; Feb 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yes, please do!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:23 pm
YLW

Programs: AS AC AA SPG IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zaf
I have an AeroplanPlus Gold card and my backup card is CIBC Dividend Visa. It pays upto 1% cash back (>3000 annual spending) and comes with no annual fee.
There is also BMO's MC cash back gives variable returns depending on where you shop.

The other option would be capital one cash back platinum card. Its also comes without an annual fee and gives out upto 1% cash back.

I think these two in addition to Shoppers MC and BMO's airmiles are the best.

If you really spend almost everything on your AmEx it might be wise to go with a cashback card since you won't be using it that much which means you won't collect enough points to do anything with them. Cashback seems the best way to go.
We will likely be getting the new AmEx, but I am also watching out for the new WJ card, although not holding much hope of it being great.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Also got the invite (originally it was supposed to be on the 18th) but don't think I'll make it out from YYC.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:52 pm
JWL

So far it sounds like there are people invited from RedFlagDeals.com, SmartCanucks.ca and Flyertalk.com.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:32 am

how come i didn't get one i do remember signing up for more info at the amex site…
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:55 am
JWL

Originally Posted by dnotes
how come i didn't get one i do remember signing up for more info at the amex site…
They have only invited 10 people in total from across several forums. It isn't a dinner for everyone who signed up for announcements on the upcoming card.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Not sure if this card holder is qualified for the 5K referral bonus promotion? I mean the SPG credit card referral bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by tylorcl
Not sure if this card holder is qualified for the 5K referral bonus promotion? I mean the SPG credit card referral bonus.
are u referring to me?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Originally Posted by dnotes
are u referring to me?
I mean the canandian SPG AE card. If two people will be applying in Mar time-frame, it should be better for one to sign in first to get 10K points. While the second person should be referred to by the first person to get 5K refferal bonus and the second person only gets the 10K sign-in bonus.

I do not know if the referral bonus applies to this Canadian SPG AE card.

Last edited by tylorcl; Feb 21, 2010 at 9:54 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by tylorcl
I do not know if the referral bonus applies to this Canadian SPG AE card.
I don't think anyone knows whether the referral bonus will apply to the new Canadian SPG Amex product. Except of course the people at Amex who have developed the product.

Hopefully this is one of the details that will be released at the pre-launch bash on February 24th.

Yes JWL or superdawg, please share what you learn at the party. A detailed description of the food and drinks menu is also appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.