Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by YLW
http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcreditcard2009.html

The links in this article give the most complete Canadian credit card comparisons I have seen. However, I don't agree with his top choices. Just because a card is popular doesn't mean it is good.

What's best also depends on where you live and your travel patterns. For Western Canadians, the free SaveOn Visa (in its own strange way, it's a travel card--read the redemption page on AS awards) and the AS Mastercard combine to make a winning team. Although the AS MC isn't free, the benefits more than pay for the card. But I will still miss the flexibility of SPG points, so expect I will get the new card.

i will probably ditch my Amex AP and get this....really only use my amex at costo etc....so will try to take advantage of any promos...

hard to give up using my RBC Avion given all the 50% BA transfer promos....i rarely fly in Canada other than to YVR and so AP points are of some use but only if i can get Y for 25K to YVR or J for 40K...but getting three tix at these levels can be a challenge so no need to move all spending to AP cards...
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: *wood gold, aeroplan
I have to say I'm disappointed this is going to be an AMEX as well. I have a corporate AMEX and while it's fine for booking flights, hotels and car rentals, it's a different story for restaurants, taxis and "everyday" purchases.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my RBC Avion as well.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by caribbeansun
I can't imagine they'll base the credit limit on the old MC limit which was a value that worked for me. I noticed postings on the US thread about $3k and $5k limits and now I'm wondering if this is the norm until you've built credit history with Amex?
If this is an Amex charge card, then theoretically there is no spending limit. Remember the Rhino Party whose campaign platform was they'll pay off the national debt with an Amex card?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:31 pm

I've posted somewhere that a SPG CSR told me the new card will be free for the first year.

I also looked at the SPG Amex card for the US, it is also free for the first year.

Amex is offering an aerogold card with 20,000 bonus points for $120. There's of course also the Business gold card which is free for the first year with 25,000 points. So if Amex charges something for the SPG card, then very few people would convert over, from the originally free MBNA MC.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by yscleo
If this is an Amex charge card, then theoretically there is no spending limit.
An urban myth. Try running $100K on your 1st purchase.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by Braindrain
An urban myth. Try running $100K on your 1st purchase.
Or even $3000-5000 may not go through as your first purchase.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:53 pm

On the limit thing, yes it's true there is still a practical limit they put on you, especially for new accounts. I was going to add that, but thought of the Rhino party and didn't come back to it.

For a new card, you can call and ask what limit they put on you. If you get close to that limit, and it's been a few months of use, with good payment record, then they will consider moving the limit up. They want to hedge the risk themselves, while wanting card holders to spend more.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
If this is an Amex charge card, then theoretically there is no spending limit.
No pre-set spending limit.
Translation: AmEx doesn't tell you what the limit is on your statement.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:49 am

im still undecided as to whether i will get this card or not. up until this point, the spg mc was my main card until i hit 30k, but i already have my rbc avion that i pay a fee on.....and wont be paying a fee on both. i also already have the amex blue sky.....so i have a lot of decisions to make....

i guess i will have to wait until all of the details are released....
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The website now says 10000 points sign up bonus with $1000 spend in first 3 months

May be worth getting the card just for the bonus
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:26 pm

Which website?

I don't see anything at spg.com or the Amex.ca website.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Amex is a crappy card but if its free and gives SPG points who cares.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Which website?

I don't see anything at spg.com or the Amex.ca website.
Here
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:27 pm

Oh.... that website. Thanks. ^
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG member
I have been an Amex user since 1995 in Canada and went through various cards (Gold/Plat) through the years (some I paid for, other times the fees were waived due to other business I had with them) and even when we moved to the US.

I have always been very happy with their incredible service and have yet seen a comprehensive website as theirs to explain what is going with my numerous cards. I enjoyed their credit secure services as well as baggage plan (which I had to use during one conference in Munich when my luggage was lost and they were super). All this was in the US. Coming back to Canada has been a pain re: credit. Amex Canada is not as friendly and helpful. Their website is horrible.

It will be interesting to see what is the fee for this new Amex card. I like SPG points since I can get free stays for my parents at luxurious hotels which they cannot afford. However Amex is indeed not as widely used as MC or Visa. It will take some time to organise how to do the household spending but I believe that if the fee is reasonable, the 1:1 ratio should be worth it.

As for MBNA cards, I also have a Shopper's card and that will be my backup MC card since I go there often and can earn 25x Shopper's points on regular purchases which I then redeem for cosmetics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.