Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:25 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
AMEX isn't just for high-end stores.

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Don't you know, they have a great produce section at Holt Renfrew!
Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya, ... Huh? This is Canada, not Japan and we don't all live in TO (Pusateri's) or BC & TO (Whole Foods).
But seriously, Amex is not accepted everywhere, but still... this new card is better than nothing and usually in Canada that's what we get when it comes to credit cards...
I don't know what you're talking about, all three of my closest grocery stores accept AMEX.. Longo's Galati's, and Lo and behold... Food Basics! The only reason Loblaws or Valumart doesn't take AMEX is because of President's choice Financial being a Mastercard alligned bank.

I think we can agree that it's sporadic that stores in Canada don't take AMEX rather than the rule. Otherwise, I don't know where you're shopping.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:29 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Be a little more Patriotic maybe?

Originally Posted by JWL
That's funny. It was at a UPS Store that I had the Amex "rejection" I noted a few posts above.
I've heard a number of problems with UPS stores because the franchise margins are slim and the owners have alot of leeway in how they run their business.

Canada Post had no problem charging my AmEx
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
The only reason Loblaws or Valumart doesn't take AMEX is because of President's choice Financial being a Mastercard alligned bank.
Nice theory. Problem is, Loblows also takes VISA.

It's probably the higher merchant rates...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I don't know what you're talking about, all three of my closest grocery stores accept AMEX.. Longo's Galati's, and Lo and behold... Food Basics! The only reason Loblaws or Valumart doesn't take AMEX is because of President's choice Financial being a Mastercard alligned bank.

I think we can agree that it's sporadic that stores in Canada don't take AMEX rather than the rule. Otherwise, I don't know where you're shopping.
I never said Amex is only for high-end stores, I mean you can use Amex at McDonald's... nothing high-end or fancy about that. My reference to HR was because a fellow member was enumerating high-end Japanese department stores and this cc is intended for the Canadian market, so I named our own Canadian high-end department store to make a point, since those Japanese department stores are irrelevant in the big picture & discussion.
I shop where most Canadians shop and I rarely go to Loblaws actually, I did not say it is not accepted ANYWHERE, I said it is not accepted EVERYWHERE. Loblaws is the no.1 supermarket chain in Canada with... what 60-75% of the market????(I don't know)????????? and if a card is not accepted there, yes, there is a problem, whether Loblaws is liked or not.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:44 pm
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thebobmc
Hopefully this is one of the details that will be released at the pre-launch bash on February 24th.

Yes JWL or superdawg, please share what you learn at the party. A detailed description of the food and drinks menu is also appreciated.
I don't think it is really a "bash". The organizer characterized as dinner with friends. If they spring for free internet with the room I'll let you know the card details they share on the evening of the event (later this week).
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:48 pm
JWL

Canadian SPG American Express

June 1 Update: Amex is offering a new promo which gives 10K bonus SPG points on first use of the card.

SPG Gold and Platinum members will receive the initial introductory offer (11K bonus points) through March 2011 [This was provided by Amex SPG PR rep. It will be sent out to Gold and Plat members after June]

Here are the card terms and features (full terms here):

Card Benefits
  • the $120 annual fee waived for the first year ($50 supplementary card fee is NOT waived)
  • Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card
  • Receive a Free Weekend Night Award when you reach $40,000 in purchases each year
  • Earn Starwood Gold Preferred Guest status when you reach $30,000 in purchases each year
  • Front Of The Line - Access tickets for some of the most popular concerts, theatres,shows and special events5
  • Annual fee of $120. Supplementary Cards are $50
  • You have the flexibility to pay balances in full or over time
  • Annual interest rate is 19.99%.

Travel and Purchase Protection features:
  • Travel Emergency Assistance8: Provides out-of-town emergency medical and legal referrals by telephone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance: Up to $500,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance covers you, your spouse and dependent children under the age of 23 when any of you travel on a common carrier (plane, train, bus or ship) and charge your tickets to your Card. Supplementary Cardmembers, their spouses and dependent children under age 23 are also covered.
  • Complimentary Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance10†: Save money when traveling with complimentary Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance. Where allowed by law, you will be automatically covered for damage or theft of your rental car with an MSRP of up to $85,000. To take advantage of this protection, simply decline the decline the Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) or similar option offered by the car rental company, and fully charge your rental to your Card. There's no additional charge for this coverage, and you save yourself the daily insurance fee (usually $16 to $23 per day) charged by the car rental company.
  • Flight Delay Insurance: Charge your airline ticket to your Card, and receive up to $500 coverage (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for hotel, motel, restaurant expenses and other sundry items
  • Baggage Delay Insurance: Book a flight with your Card and receive up to $500 coverage (aggregate maximum with Flight Delay Insurance) for reasonable and necessary emergency purchases.
  • Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance: When you fully charge your airline tickets to your Card, you can receive up to $500 coverage for loss or damage to your luggage or personal effects while in transit.
  • Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance: Automatic coverage of up to $500 against the loss of most personal items (excluding cash) if your hotel or motel room is burglarized. Coverage is in effect as long as you have fully booked and paid for your accommodations with your Card.
  • Buyer's Assurance® Protection Plan: Automatically doubles the manufacturer's original warranty up to one additional year when you charge the full price to your Card.
  • Purchase Protection® Plan: Automatically, without registration, insures your eligible purchases against accidental physical damage and theft.

Starwood Preferred Guest program
  • Experience nine distinct brands including St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Le Méridien, Westin, Sheraton, Aloft, Element, and Four Points by Sheraton
  • Redeem Starpoints®* for Free Nights with no blackout dates6 at over 940 hotels of the world’s most extraordinary hotels in 93 countries
  • Redeem Starpoints for flights with no blackout dates on more than 350 airlines7
  • Experience once-in-a-lifetime events with SPG Moments®*
  • Learn more here

Last edited by JWL; Jun 1, 2010 at 6:41 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC*E, AS MVPG, AA Gold, PC Plt Amb, SPG, Avis First, National Executive
Thank you in advance! Been waiting for this card!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy,IHG Rewards, Aeroplan
Some details are now posted

• Receive 10,000 bonus Starpoints® upon first use — enough for up to three free nights

• Earn 1 Starpoint for every $ in purchases charged to the Card — that's in addition to the Starpoints you already earn at Starwood Preferred Guest hotels as an SPG member

• Enjoy a Free Category 1-4 Weekend Night Award after you spend $40,000 on the Card annually

• Earn Gold Preferred Guest status after you spend $30,000 on the Card annually

$120 annual fee

At http://www.spgpromos.com/canada_creditcard

Last edited by Voyageur; Feb 24, 2010 at 7:21 pm
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:36 pm
JWL

LOL. Joykill. Just got back from the festivities.

Those are the details that we learned tonight (while treating us REALLY well).

That is what we learned tonight. An email will be coming out tomorrow with the same details.

They are positioning this card as a competitor to CIBC Aeroplan and Royal Bank Avion. I think it holds up for the annual fee since it essentially offers 1.25 times the benefits of those cards at a similar price. We'll see when all the details come out.

While Amex and SPG were very kind to those in attendance, they are treating those interested in the card pretty equally by providing the same details online when we got them and providing the real details to everyone tomorrow morning.

Last edited by JWL; Feb 26, 2010 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Why is the Canadian card so much more than the US card?

Originally Posted by Voyageur
• Receive 10,000 bonus Starpoints® upon first use — enough for up to three free nights

• Earn 1 Starpoint for every $ in purchases charged to the Card — that's in addition to the Starpoints you already earn at Starwood Preferred Guest hotels as an SPG member

• Enjoy a Free Category 1-4 Weekend Night Award after you spend $40,000 on the Card annually

• Earn Gold Preferred Guest status after you spend $30,000 on the Card annually

$120 annual fee

At http://www.spgpromos.com/canada_creditcard
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy,IHG Rewards, Aeroplan
When will it become available?

JWL,

Any specifics on availability?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Voyageur
Enjoy a Free Category 1-4 Weekend Night Award after you spend $40,000 on the Card annually
Isn't this something the US card doesn't have? IMO, this compensates for the $120/yr fee.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Isn't this something the US card doesn't have?
Yes, but the US card has the 15,000 points for spending $15,000 in six months, which can get you a night at a Cat 5, or seven weekend nights at a Cat 1.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG +Starwood Privilege
$120 seems quite expensive to me~
and no gold member status unless spending $30,000....
but 10,000 bonus Starpoints seems covers that back for the first year!
It is not that attractive to me. If I could apply, I would any apply for the sake of 10,000 points. Will you apply for it ?

SPG / AE could be more generous! It should give two nights instead of one night, maybe I'm too greedy~
Enjoy a Free Weekend Night Award after you spend CDN$40,000 on the Card annually

Condition: Each year if, before the annual reset date, you reach CDN$40,000 in net purchases charged to your account you will earn a Free Weekend Night Award redeemable within 1 year for an available single or double occupancy standard room at a participating Starwood Category 1–4 property for one Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. On the annual reset date, the amount of annual net purchases resets to zero. Additional terms apply.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$120 Annual Fee?!? BOO!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.