Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

aloft Charlotte at EpiCentre [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aloft Charlotte at EpiCentre [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Arrow aloft Charlotte at EpiCentre [Master Thread]

The aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre opened this past weekend (just in time for the sell out crowds needing rooms for the Panthers game!).

The location is about as good as it gets. Sitting atop Flemmings Steakhouse, overlooking the new EpiCentre complex, it is as central to anything one would need. The Time Warner arena is walking distance, as is all of the major office buildings. The Bank of America Stadium is not a far walk either (about 8 blocks).

There is a lot of construction in the immediate area with a new Bank of America tower and Ritz Carlton going up across Trade Street from the EpiCentre. In addition, right now about 1/2 of the EpiCentre is occupied with shops/bars/restaurants including a beautiful movie theater with ultra plush, reserved seating and a full service upscale restaurant and chic bar. You can bring your food and drinks into the theater too.

You enter the hotel on College street via a set of elevators at the base of the EpiCentre complex adjacent to Flemming's. There is a valet out front, or you may self park (enter on 4th Street). You take the elevator up to the 5th floor, which is the lobby of the hotel. From there you check in and take the elevator up to your room (on floors 6 through 15, with no 13th floor).

The lobby consists of the round reception desk with a billiard table to the left. The check in process went smooth, with an "Aloha!" greeting from the staff. The only thing that struck me as odd was how a guest checking in can see all of the paper work and even the screens of the adjacent receptionist. There are basically 2 room types at the hotel - Non Smoking King and Non Smoking Queen. There is a single suite on the top floor. So, the SPG Preferred upgrade really doesn't matter here. The even numbered rooms face the EpiCentre (Northeast) and the odd numbered rooms face Southwest.

Just beyond the check-in desk is the WXYZ bar and lounge area, as well as a pantry with a wide assortment of self-serve foods and hot breakfast sandwich options (pay at the registration desk). Down the hall from the check-in desk is the lap pool. This location is a bit out of the way because if you are swimming your laps in the evening hours, you have to walk through the lobby and bar area in your swim gear and/or robe. The fitness center is well equipped and located on the 6th floor with free weights, treadmills and ellipticals. The units each have LCD screens where you can tune in a handful of channels (not the same selection as in the rooms).

The room is either 285 sq. ft (for a King) or 315 sq ft (for a Queen). Perhaps it's a bit on the small side compared to the rooms in some other hotels (Westin, Hilton, Marriott), but the amenities are quite nice. The 42" LCD TV has a wide selection of channels, although I counted only 3 in true High Definition. WiFi connections and hardwired internet are complimentary. And the bed, as expected, is very comfortable and up to the standards of the other SPG brands.

As there is no in-hotel restaurant, there is no room service. But there are many restaurant choices within 1 to 5 minutes walking distance.

Last edited by PHL; Jan 15, 2009 at 7:32 am
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:29 pm

Pros: 42" LCD, great location for night life and resteraunts, cheaper than Westin

Cons: Bed not as comfortable as Westin, gym doesn't have as much equipment as Westin
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's another pro for this aloft over the Westin - I'm told this hotel will continue the quadruple point promotion until 3/31. So, for a 3 night, $600 stay you'll get 4800 base points and then 500 per night in the Q1 promo, for a total of 6300 points.

The comparison ends there, though. The two hotels are apples and oranges, which is deliberate. While the Westin is walkable to the same places that the aloft is, it's still out of the way and down College street a bit. The rate will probably differentiate the two hotels for most SPG die hards, though.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:55 pm

The more I stay in this hotel the more I'm annoyed by it. The lack of breakfast, the AC/heater is loud and is an actual unit, the loft feels and looks cheap.

The AC/heater unit is by far the worst thing about this hotel. I haven't been able to get a full nights sleep for 3 nights in a row now and tonight I'm just going to go out and hopefully be so tired when I come back that the unit won't wake me up every 30 minutes when it starts.

I've canceled all my future stays and am going back to the Westin. The extra points from the current promo would have been nice but I need my sleep at night.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm going to have to agree here. After a few nights, the HVAC unit also had me up a few times. The high/low switch doesn't seem to do anything either. It only runs at one speed.....I'm checking out tomorrow so I'll inquire if there is anything that can be done to reduce the sound/speed of the fan.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Originally Posted by phatrabbitzz
The more I stay in this hotel the more I'm annoyed by it. The lack of breakfast, the AC/heater is loud and is an actual unit, the loft feels and looks cheap.

The AC/heater unit is by far the worst thing about this hotel. I haven't been able to get a full nights sleep for 3 nights in a row now and tonight I'm just going to go out and hopefully be so tired when I come back that the unit won't wake me up every 30 minutes when it starts.

I've canceled all my future stays and am going back to the Westin. The extra points from the current promo would have been nice but I need my sleep at night.
I agree 100%

The aloft was pretty cool the first couple of stays. I had 13 stays with most of them in Charleston.

For almost the same price I can stay at the Sheraton, lounge, free breakfast, chance at a suite and a full restarant on site.

The aloft offer no chance at an upgrade, no bfast, no suites and no food. The only advantage for the aloft is the TV, the bed in some cases and "cool" factor....maybe
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:19 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I spoke to a staff member and they informed me that the HVAC units are not all able to operate on "low" yet, but that's being completed/resolved this week. I was sure the unit I had in my room was one of the units that only ran on "high". If anyone stays there, report back if you are able to adjust the speed of your HVAC.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG
Talking Getting the HVAC units to turn off...

2 tricks to get those pesky things off:

1. Set the temperature on the thermostat on the wall to the actual room temperature to make sure they are both matched. then slide the switch underneath the thermostat to "off".
this will turn the unit off. the only reason it goes on and off every 15-30 minutes is because it is constantly trying to match the temperatures together.

If for some reason this still does not work, reach your hand under the unit itself and there is a switch there that you can actually manually turn it off.

This will solve all of your problems.

(Insiders tell me that they will eventually be replacing those nasty units to less noisy ones...)
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
aloft Charlotte parking rates

I called the hotel to inquire about parking rates and was told the following:

There is no parking affiliated with the hotel. (I'm not sure if they mean that valet can't be charged to the room or why this statement was made.)

Valet off College St.
$20 with unlimited in/out for 24 hours.

Self-parking in Epicenter off Trade St.
Price varies. Usually $10 - $20. No in/out privileges.

There are other parking options in the area. I was thinking of staying here one night this weekend, but the potential of parking adding $20 to my stay is making me lean towards one of the other Starwoods away from downtown for the same room rate.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I'm on my 4th stay in the last 4 weeks here. I really love the atmosphere and the walking distance proximity of the epicenter.

During the summer every Thursday night they have Alive after Five which can be really fun or really noisy depending on what you're trying to accomplish that night.

I agree, the HVAC units are ridiculously loud. I have started to turn my fan from auto to on and let run on low all night long. You can tell how loud they by the volume of the TV when the thing turns off ... my TV was loud I was sure it could be heard on the other end of the hall.

I do love the "coolness" of the property, the staff is pretty friendly, and they have given us a great corporate rate here.

To confirm ... valet is $20 and self park is $10 (take the ticket and ask the front desk for a folio to show) there is no in/out privs with self park.

I think I may have to try the Westin next week.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Every guest room had it's HAVC replaced 2 weeks ago. The jet engine noises at 3 AM are no longer
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jace
Every guest room had it's HAVC replaced 2 weeks ago. The jet engine noises at 3 AM are no longer
That's good news. I hope the quieter units immediately are adopted for new construction. After finding the garbage Amana HVAC units at PDX, Lexington, and Green Bay I came to think that noisy AC was part of the aloft brand standard.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Aloft Charlotte Uptown at the EpiCentre

Didn't see a link to this hotel in the master thread, so I figured I would start my own for this property.

Stayed here last night, and was not very satisfied with this hotel, and possibly the whole "aloft" idea in general (if all other properties are similar to this one). Being a "vision of W" I expected more out of this property.

The staff were helpful, and the location was perfect, but the hotel was not up to par. Yes, the location is "the epicenter", which is the perfect way to describe the location of this hotel, but then again, Charlotte is a TINY city, and I could/should have stayed at the Westin 2 blocks away.

By biggest two complaints about this property:

a) Everything looks so cheap in the room. It looks like it was decorated by a cheap knock off if Ikea.

b) The bedding SUCKS. The pillows are the most horrid thing I have ever tried to sleep on.

That being said, the staff were helpful, location is perfect as I said and the hotel served its purpose. Not worth the ~$200 that it cost though.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by goat521
Didn't see a link to this hotel in the master thread, so I figured I would start my own for this property.

Stayed here last night, and was not very satisfied with this hotel, and possibly the whole "aloft" idea in general (if all other properties are similar to this one). Being a "vision of W" I expected more out of this property.

The staff were helpful, and the location was perfect, but the hotel was not up to par. Yes, the location is "the epicenter", which is the perfect way to describe the location of this hotel, but then again, Charlotte is a TINY city, and I could/should have stayed at the Westin 2 blocks away.

By biggest two complaints about this property:

a) Everything looks so cheap in the room. It looks like it was decorated by a cheap knock off if Ikea.

b) The bedding SUCKS. The pillows are the most horrid thing I have ever tried to sleep on.

That being said, the staff were helpful, location is perfect as I said and the hotel served its purpose. Not worth the ~$200 that it cost though.
Here you go: aloft Charlotte [Master Thread]

Perfect time for an update as it appears the bedding is still an issue.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I was planning to stay here. Now it'll be the Westin, Hilton or Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.