Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

DUBAI: Dar Al Sondos Hotel Apartments by Le Meridien [Master Thread].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUBAI: Dar Al Sondos Hotel Apartments by Le Meridien [Master Thread].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:16 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Stayed at this property last week for a night.

First impressions were positive. I had put in my comments that I was arriving late and on what flight (to avoid them cancelling my reservation). Needless to say I was surprised when at arrivals a driver was holding my name on it - especially seeing that I had planned on taking a cab. Transfer to the hotel took about 25 minutes. They did not make reference to the 55AED charge for picking me up at the airport until checkout. Somewhat weird IMHO but I didn't mind as I figured the difference in price wouldn't have been that great.

The hotel is lost in a sideroad (by Dubai's standards). A supermarket is about 2 blocks down the road. There's a Four points not far away either for those into hotel hopping.

At check-in the agent was friendly and I was offered a fruit mix/punch quite a nice taste and touch to it bearing in mind how much I paid for the hotel (225AED). The hotel recognised me as a platinum member and upgraded me to an executive floor and room. A fruit plate and water bottles were awaiting me in the room.

The room was quite large and fully equipped. The room was of dubious cleanliness though and permanent urine stains were visible on the toilet seat.

The executive lounge is of medium size, although the breakfast options are very extensive (most I've ever seen in a lounge) with an attendant providing top-notch service (once again a contradition with the price they charge).

Overall a good stay. The service is great (better than the Sheraton Deira). Rooms need to be overhauled and cleaned up though. The location is a bit out of the way - although with taxis being very cheap in Dubai that's not at all a problem.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:00 am

I stayed in this property for 4 nights in April. Agree with all views shared - I got a Gold upgrade. Room was clean and stay was quite pleasant. They offer free internet in the smallish lobby (2 PCs) which was very useful. I didn't mind the 55 AED for the shuttle since this was my first time in Dubai.

For the price, it's a good deal.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by GVA
Thanks for the advice. Thing is I'm only seeking to use this place on my first night when I arrive in DXB around midnight. For 225AED+ I really don't think you can go wrong with this place - especially seeing that every other SPG property is around 500AED the same night. I'm moving to the Sheraton Deira the following day anyways.
I looked around and didn't find to much scoop on the Sheraton Deira. How was your experience there? I'm planning on staying there next month.

Last edited by Karan97; May 12, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Old May 12, 2009, 1:41 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Karan97
I looked around and didn't find to much scoop on the Sheraton Deira. How was your experience there? I'm planning on staying there next month.
The Sheraton Deira was good. The service there was definately personal (concierge knew me by name and addressed me by it the whole time). They were great in organizing excursions for me.

I was upgraded to a corner suite that was nicely appointed. The only problem for me really was that the lounge wasn't quite up to scratch compared to Dar Al Sondos.

Overall both properties have their advantages. If you are there for a limited amount of time, the Deira is good in being close to the creek and downtown (I walked back from the creek one night). Dar Al sondos is further out although with taxis being so cheap it doesn't make much difference.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
The rate for late June is an eye-catching AED174 (about USD$47!), so it's quite difficult to pass on the LM Dar al Sondos.
As a Plat, I'd likely get Exec upgrade.
Does anyone know how much internet costs here per day?
I was thinking about using points at the HIX Internet City (Point Breaks rate), but at $47 I could get a stay credit toward the SPG free nights and also spg points.....
Here are other SPG rates for the same nights, all in AED (about 3.5/USD):
Dal al Sondos: 174
Sheraton Deira: 274
LM Sondos Suites: 310
4P downtown Dubai: 320
Sheraton Jumeirah: 466
Are any of these a "steal" that the LM seems to be?
Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
4P downtown Dubai: 320
Sheraton Jumeirah: 466
Are any of these a "steal" that the LM seems to be?
Thanks!
Those 2 are steals in my opinion, but it depends on where is your final destination like office. 4P downtown has relatively short drive from the Internet City or Media city, but last few turns are going through the construction, so it is extra. It is not about extra 10 DHS, but more about another 15 minutes in traffic in the evening which might be OK for you, but I found those 15 minutes to be important for me.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
The price may be eye catching but if you plan to sleep in past 8 AM the noise sure is ear popping. I just stayed at this property recently and I was surprised this is a Le Meridien property. It is a far cry below standards of the typical SPG property. The walls are fairly thin and you can hear the people above/below/next door. I even had the delight of (child screaming down the hall) noise wafting though the door. When housekeeping attends to the room above you, they are accompanied by the ever present screeching of vacuum upon tile floor. Such a nice way to be awaken from your nights slumber.

I give this place somewhere between 2.5 - 3 stars. Would have been lower but then price was ok (AED 350) and was available on short notice (walk up).
I think I would rather spend the extra AED 100 ($28) and go to a nicer property.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have stayed at this hotel many times....i'm in dubai once or twice every month & this property is my hotel of choice when i can't get another spg or hilton hotel for under aed 500 (which happens quite often)....this is by no means a great hotel but for its price (i have stayed here for as low as aed 165 a night) its a steal....the rooms are big & clean....breakfast is great....there is free internet in the lobby....location is good....all these things put together make for a very decent stay....
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I cant believe how cheap these properties are...especially the Dar Al Sondos! Are there evening snacks/drinks in the executive lounge or just sodas/peanuts all day?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I assume this property participates fully in the SPG program in terms of recognizing plats and awarding points, stays, nights?

Thanks. I'm looking in the summer and seeing 200 aed per night or 240 a.i.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just stayed the night there, great Plat recognition with free Internet and Plat Amenity, but the hotel is very plain and in a residential/business neighborhood that is the complete opposite of flashy Dubai. The noise is very loud from both within and outside the hotel including the aforementioned prayer calls from the adjacent mosque. I had no hot water, and the Internet was painfully slow.

With that said, the price would make me stay there again, but I may also consider the slightly more expensive Four Points nearby in hopes some of these issues would not happen there.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by schley
I assume this property participates fully in the SPG program in terms of recognizing plats and awarding points, stays, nights?

Thanks. I'm looking in the summer and seeing 200 aed per night or 240 a.i.
good plat recognition everytime i have stayed here....but as others have said, this is a pretty basic hotel....

the only reason why i would come back to this property would be for the price....
Old May 31, 2010, 1:29 pm

Staying here this coming weekend for 2 different stays... only 218 aed a.i. which is about 60 bucks or so.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
Staying here this coming weekend for 2 different stays... only 218 aed a.i. which is about 60 bucks or so.
good deal....just don't expect much out of the property....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:14 am

1. lack of carpeting IMO is what is to blame for the hotel being loud and not as relaxing. If installed this would be a significant upgrade to the feel and comfort of the hotel.

2. breakfast is average but included in just about all rates I was told. It has an omelet station, pastries, and other basic items. Not extravagant but what do you expect for just under $60 a.i.

3. you can use coupons in the room for 2 cappuccinos or espressos in the lobby. Nice perk.

4. In the room there is one bottle of water on the nightstand complimentary as well as one in the bathroom complimentary. In the fridge they have a avian for 15 aed .5L and a 1L for 18 I believe. DON'T make the mistake I did by thinking nothing was free and I popped open the Avian only to discover there were 2 others (although not cold) waiting to be discovered that were free.

5. Only wired internet and it was average speed at best.

6. There is a kitchenette and washer/dryer in the rooms as they are apartment rooms. Nice fruit basket wrapped upon arrival in room.

7. The mango/fruit juice with a cool wet towel upon check in is a nice touch.

Did I mention the CHEAP PRICE? All in all a great mattress run and I'm using this property for my initial evening arrival only to check out the next day to stay at the 4 points on Mankool, then check back into the Dar Sandos for a phantom stay the 3rd night although I have no intention of staying that night as my flight back leaves. Great mattress run opportunity for the FFWN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.