Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Strategy Help for 3RT biz class seats LAX>BKK. Points Levels Enclosed in post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to apply points for 3 RT biz class seats from LAX to BKK.

It appears the three most affordable options in this regard are from the following airlines (price for 3 seats): https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...17;sc=b;px=2,1
Air China: $7700
China Southern: $8200
Korean Air: $9200

Here are my current point levels:
Amex MR (my name): 61k
Amex MR (wifes name - she will be joining on trip): 129k
Ultimate rewards: 132k
Virgin America Elevate: 56k
Jet Blue: 40k
NZ airpoints (AUS$): 632 AUS$

Can someone please advise as to the optimal use of these points? I have never done anything this 'complicated' before and have only used points on same carrier in exchange for domestic flights.

We have the following cards: amex biz plat, amex plat, chase sapphire, chase biz ink, and virgin elevate silver.

If anything needs clarification please let me know.
Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'd start by reading the Announcement thread at the top of this forum. Then come back with some ideas & suggestions. Good luck.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nuknuk
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to apply points for 3 RT biz class seats from LAX to BKK.

It appears the three most affordable options in this regard are from the following airlines (price for 3 seats): https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...17;sc=b;px=2,1
Air China: $7700
China Southern: $8200
Korean Air: $9200

Here are my current point levels:
Amex MR (my name): 61k
Amex MR (wifes name - she will be joining on trip): 129k
Ultimate rewards: 132k
Virgin America Elevate: 56k
Jet Blue: 40k
NZ airpoints (AUS$): 632 AUS$

Can someone please advise as to the optimal use of these points? I have never done anything this 'complicated' before and have only used points on same carrier in exchange for domestic flights.

We have the following cards: amex biz plat, amex plat, chase sapphire, chase biz ink, and virgin elevate silver.

If anything needs clarification please let me know.
Thanks.
Must all three passengers travel on the same flights? Are you amenable to obtaining -- and meeting the minimum-spend requirements on --additional credit cards? And which Chase Sapphire card do you currently hold?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
1. Identify transfer partners for your credit card point programs
2. Review the intricacies of each program such as time for transfer, who you can book tickets for & if the points can be transferred to any FF account or must it be in the name of the credit card holder.
3. Identify overlapping partners in your CC programs to be able to transfer for larger balance
4. Search for awards from LAX, SFO, SJC, SAN, SEA, and maybe even DEN, IAH, ORD and use your VX, B6, other points or cash to get to those cities.

Other option if you're not able or willing to do this is to hire an award booking service
Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Is there a reason you opened a new thread when you asked almost the same question in June?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Must all three passengers travel on the same flights? Are you amenable to obtaining -- and meeting the minimum-spend requirements on --additional credit cards? And which Chase Sapphire card do you currently hold?
Yes, we must all be on the same flights.

Yes, I'm willing to acquire new cards and can meet the minimum req's.

Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
1. Identify transfer partners for your credit card point programs
2. Review the intricacies of each program such as time for transfer, who you can book tickets for & if the points can be transferred to any FF account or must it be in the name of the credit card holder.
3. Identify overlapping partners in your CC programs to be able to transfer for larger balance
4. Search for awards from LAX, SFO, SJC, SAN, SEA, and maybe even DEN, IAH, ORD and use your VX, B6, other points or cash to get to those cities.

Other option if you're not able or willing to do this is to hire an award booking service
Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Is there a reason you opened a new thread when you asked almost the same question in June?
appreciate the response. reason i asked again was simply because i have more information now than i did then and honestly didnt realize how unwieldy this could become.

Last edited by beckoa; Mar 14, 2017 at 11:54 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, we must all be on the same flights.
That reduces the chance of getting 3 premium long haul awards by a magnitude.
When do you want to travel?
Realistically the best may get is a mix of cash tickets for some and award for the others.
The award booking services in post 4 above may be your best hope (small that it is).
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
appreciate the response. reason i asked again was simply because i have more information now than i did then and honestly didnt realize how unwieldy this could become.
It's pretty straightforward, just requires some time and effort in searching...or hire it out to an award booking service if you're unable or unwilling to do the legwork yourself. You're looking to redeem for a very simple trip and even with the variety of loyalty currencies you mentioned, there aren't a horrible amount of permutations. Just work through the options systematically and take note of what you're finding.

The only complication is wanting 3+ premium award seats but there are possible workarounds or alternatives, as mentioned upthread.

What have you found in your searches so far - and where have you looked?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:20 am

What are you dates?

from your link, it states April - which is too late in the game now to get new cards, wait for points to post and do planning from there.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

i had to go ahead and do this the best i could which i know was very, very far from optimal. i used a combination of MR points, 50% MR points refund, and cash to purchase the tickets. i didnt have a lot of time because we needed to purchase tickets for a nanny--who needs enough time to apply for a visa.

lesson learned for next time that i need to plan a bit farther in advance.

really appreciate everyone's help here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.