Y seat programme for *A

Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Y seat programme for *A

Hello guys, I just read on a *A Press Release from yesterday that they started a partnership/joint with seat manufacturer B/E Aerospace to produce Y long-haul seats for the member carriers. Although it is supposed to have 2 different seat versions, does it mean that they would have kind of a "standard" Y seat for many *A members?
Wouldn't that risk the airlines competition within the alliance (even though they state it otherwise), or may be not much, as Y class passengers aren't much influenced by the in-flight carachteristics as C and F passengers are?
Does anyone know anything else about this new seat?
The link to the press release is here
http://www.staralliance.com/pt/press/aerospace-prp/
Lauching members will be OS, LH and Air China

Last edited by BRflyer; Oct 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I guess like with all previous *A procurement initiatives this is completely voluntary. I member airlines can still chose different seats and manufacturers if they want to.
And I think you are right, the Y seat has never been high on the list of people's preference list when picking a carrier.

Launching customer will be OS, not OZ by the way.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
This was probably just to get bulk discounts...
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
This was probably just to get bulk discounts...
And reduced maintenance costs as they can share some out-station inventories.

But the program also explicitly notes that the airlines get to choose the cushions and such so while the frames will be shared the cushions won't necessarily all be the same. That will result in the passenger experience still having some differences but the airlines also get the savings they need.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Certainly about time UA started replacing its long haul coach seats, particularly on the 744s so these planes can have IFE screens! Photos of the two seat styles would have helped though. Haven't these guys heard "one picture is worth a thousand words"?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Certainly about time UA started replacing its long haul coach seats, particularly on the 744s so these planes can have IFE screens! Photos of the two seat styles would have helped though. Haven't these guys heard "one picture is worth a thousand words"?
Too bad UA isn't involved in the program yet.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Certainly about time UA started replacing its long haul coach seats, particularly on the 744s so these planes can have IFE screens!
UA has announced their IFE plans for the 744s: There will NOT be in-seat screens. They are putting a wireless IFE system for that fleet out to bid and will be using that rather than in-seat IFE.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by sbm12
They are putting a wireless IFE system for that fleet out to bid and will be using that rather than in-seat IFE.
Very cheap move... forcing people to use unwieldy laptops and the like without power outlets in Y.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Very cheap move... forcing people to use unwieldy laptops and the like without power outlets in Y.
They have suggested that power outlets are likely to be part of the deployment; they recognize that without that the wifi-streaming IFE isn't particularly valuable, especially on the flights operated by the 744 which are longer stage lengths. No guarantees, but it is highly likely.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
They have suggested that power outlets are likely to be part of the deployment; they recognize that without that the wifi-streaming IFE isn't particularly valuable, especially on the flights operated by the 744 which are longer stage lengths. No guarantees, but it is highly likely.
Then it would be best for me - iPad + power outlet is the best combo (hope their IFE won't be flash based )
The only time I was on UA 747 I was at bulkhead in the middle so it was more like visiting cinema

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.