Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If you are going to be flying mostly domestic, I'd go with US. Upgrades are basically guaranteed on most routes for top tier elites, and I'd say that they are the most reliable airline in the country. Rare to see delays on US...

If you don't fly LH that much, I wouldn't go with LH...

UACO is going through major program devaluation, so I'd say that US is a much better choice.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Hi I will appreciate some advice on the *a choice for the following conditions I am interested in:
1. 2x status miles for business class and 3x status miles for first (including us domestic f/a
2. Minimum threshold for *a gold (Aegean is not an option)

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Z/C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Bd *G (thus the need to choose another one due to imminent bd demise)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Easy redemptions into economy class tatl and tpac, 200% mileage accrual on all business class fares

(6) Which routes do you fly most often tatl us west coast, Malaysia, china

(7) Preferred airlines: none

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work. Limited to cheapest business class fare available at the purchase date. This forces me to keep membership in more than one alliance and therefore I am quite sensitive to the threshold of achieving*a gold.

Many thanks in advance.
AX
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by AX9465
Hi I will appreciate some advice on the *a choice for the following conditions I am interested in:
1. 2x status miles for business class and 3x status miles for first (including us domestic f/a
2. Minimum threshold for *a gold (Aegean is not an option)

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Z/C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Bd *G (thus the need to choose another one due to imminent bd demise)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Easy redemptions into economy class tatl and tpac, 200% mileage accrual on all business class fares

(6) Which routes do you fly most often tatl us west coast, Malaysia, china

(7) Preferred airlines: none

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work. Limited to cheapest business class fare available at the purchase date. This forces me to keep membership in more than one alliance and therefore I am quite sensitive to the threshold of achieving*a gold.

Many thanks in advance.
AX

At first blush MM looks ok if 2x for Z and higher is critical, but I would probably look at UA MP more closely and choose it. at 50k you get premier gold so there's your gold status for lounges in europe. Good svc to asia, etc. And at 1p you get free E+ at booking as well. downside is that biz fares earn 1.5x eqm. Downside is not the greatest timetable from UK.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by snod08
Well, Star Alliance (LH/LX/SA) is better generally with respect to your EU / S.Africa travels. (and CO/UA/SQ/NH for US to Asia).
From ABQ you may have to connect elsewhere (e.g., PHX, LAX, SFO, Etc).

If you feel that your US Domestic flying will be much more in percentage than the international, then you can go for US or UA-CO as your choice program. With US, you will reach Chairman status, and almost always get upgraded on domestic flights.
With UA, you will reach 1K status...however, higher-fare paying elites (especially anyone on Y/B fares) will have higher priority for domestic upgrades.
I just can't stand the attitude with US. I was based in PGH when it was a hub and had more than my "fare" share of attitude from those folks. I am seriously looking at UA/CO and have been lurking on their section of FT.

Its an interesting difference between systems on upgrades. I can buy SLUT tickets on DL because fare class is a 3rd level tie breaker. Status is everything with them. However, upgrades on TATL for DL are virtually nonexistent so I have to use my precious system wide upgrade (SWU) certificates from a YBM fare to get business.

If your international travel will be much higher than domestic US, then choose LH. You will get chance for international op-ups on sold-out flights, etc (especially since you are on Y/B/M fares).
In terms of miles, my international travel exceeds domestic, but in terms of segments I am still domestically biased. I'd say 70/30 in 2012

If you can reach 100K miles for sure and another 50K more, then, you almost have the option to choose two programs.

LH and CO-UA have a Joint Venture. So, most fare classes earn 100%; and some of the lowest fares earn 50% on international itineraries. This is one big advantage in my opinion...because AF/KL are very stingy in giving miles to many of the lower fare classes.
Forgive me but I'm not up to speed on the mile structure. Is the 50% a bonus FF mileage? I need to look at a comparison of the FF programs but was holding out until I could narrow the candidates.

On the other hand...you can reach DL Diamond with 125K miles (correct?)... Then you are top-tier there......Dont know much about DL. But the DM folks sure are happy in the DL forum!
125K is correct. I'm not mad at Delta but some poor CSR phone experiences and a few policy changes have given me pause. If I'm going to spend significant hard earned money on both myself and my staff, I would appreciate some courtesy. It feels like the airlines are too focused on short-term gains and not longer term customer relationship management. Since money talks, I am very content to take my business to another carrier/alliance if it makes sense. Delta touts loyalty but you keep getting these letters on how they have improved the system by taking something away. Thats just insulting.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I just can't stand the attitude with US. I was based in PGH when it was a hub and had more than my "fare" share of attitude from those folks. I am seriously looking at UA/CO and have been lurking on their section of FT.
US is a completely different airline today than it was in those days. Today, US Airways is just the name for America West, the airline that basically took them over a few years ago during bankruptcy proceedings. The US Airways of old is very different than the one today.

US is probably the most elite friendly airline in the country in my opinion. Particularly with lower levels (silver/gold), but even for upper levels, they have done less "enhancements" (devaluations) compared to other airlines. In addition, they are one of the most reliable airlines in the country. They've really gotten their on time percentages in good shape over the last few years.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease

Its an interesting difference between systems on upgrades. I can buy SLUT tickets on DL because fare class is a 3rd level tie breaker. Status is everything with them. However, upgrades on TATL for DL are virtually nonexistent so I have to use my precious system wide upgrade (SWU) certificates from a YBM fare to get business.

In terms of miles, my international travel exceeds domestic, but in terms of segments I am still domestically biased. I'd say 70/30 in 2012

Forgive me but I'm not up to speed on the mile structure. Is the 50% a bonus FF mileage? I need to look at a comparison of the FF programs but was holding out until I could narrow the candidates.

125K is correct. I'm not mad at Delta but some poor CSR phone experiences and a few policy changes have given me pause. If I'm going to spend significant hard earned money on both myself and my staff, I would appreciate some courtesy. It feels like the airlines are too focused on short-term gains and not longer term customer relationship management. Since money talks, I am very content to take my business to another carrier/alliance if it makes sense. Delta touts loyalty but you keep getting these letters on how they have improved the system by taking something away. Thats just insulting.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
US is a completely different airline today than it was in those days. Today, US Airways is just the name for America West, the airline that basically took them over a few years ago during bankruptcy proceedings. The US Airways of old is very different than the one today.

US is probably the most elite friendly airline in the country in my opinion. Particularly with lower levels (silver/gold), but even for upper levels, they have done less "enhancements" (devaluations) compared to other airlines. In addition, they are one of the most reliable airlines in the country. They've really gotten their on time percentages in good shape over the last few years.
I generally agree with PVDtoDEL on his statements. I used to live in PHL for the past four years. So I have seen some rough US agents there!!
However, US is getting better. Mileage-redemption wise, they are really good and not as stingy as many other partners. Their new Envoy Flat-bed product is rated very highly. They offer the chance to buy-up to Envoy on TATLs (like for 300-500$ over your Y fare on the day of travel)

With UA-CO, you will reach top-mileage-tier 1k after 100K miles. However, with your domestic cheapo fares..your upgrade chances will go down quickly (depending on the market of course).

What i was suggesting is getting mid-tier in say UA-CO or US (50K miles); Then, getting 100K LH-SEN status for your TATL, etc. If you truly buy Y/B TATL/TPAC fares, then, you will start earning bonuses on the EQM's quickly.
So, in reality, you may not need to fly all the 100K for the LHSEN, but fly about 75K or so and get the rest on fare-class bonus.

DL just devalued its transcon mileage redemption...to a ridiculous 80K plus or something like that!!!!
DL SWU has not been very useful reading the DL boards.

Its a tough choice!!!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AF-Silver, TK-Gold
Aeroplan Elite to?

(1) What is your home airport?
- SFO

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
- Discounted Economy Fares

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
- 35k-40k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
- Aeroplan Elite (Star Alliance Gold)

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
- Lounge access, redemption rates

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
- US Domestic

(7) Preferred Airlines
- n/a

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?)
- mostly work, fly United/Continental and occasionally US Air or AC

Wanting to switch from devalued Aeroplan...
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Now BMI's departure from *A is imminent i need to look for a new home. ROP and SQ KF are not for me.

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, And Y)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25k on * which is usually enought to reach status with class multipliers)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (9 years of BD*G)
(5) What is most important to you in a ffp? (Class if service multiplier Cx2 Fx3, miles dont expire, low treshold to Gold)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Asia-europe)
(7) Preferred Airlines (TG, SQ)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (both, i can make my own choices.)

Any advise?

Thanks,
Globalist
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by sniles
Thinking about a switch away from BD. Any suggestions?

PVG & SHA

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?
China Domestic: F & Y
International: C & Y

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
50,000-80,000

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
*A: BMI Diamond Club Gold
ST: KLM AF Flying Blue Platinum
ST: China Eastern Basic

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades & good award redemption

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
China domestic and transpacific

(7) Preferred Airlines
Transpacific: NH, AC, DL (will avoid UA if possible)
China Domestic: MU (CA when applicable out of PVG/SHA)

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
For work in C & F (domestic)
For personal in Y
Bumping this as i've got a few C flights coming up in next few weeks. Any suggestions?

Personally am thinking NH's program as i see myself flying them for my trans-pacific flights in the future given my recent experiences. Are there any cons?

Not sure i'd pick Aeroplan as i've read about recent devaluations.

OZ i'm not sure about as i don't think i'd fly them to transpac given their inferior C product (no flat bed on routes i fly).

UA could be an option, but i won't fly them as long as they are still refurbishing their 777s.

LH could be an option as i use them for Europe flights when not on SkyTeam's KLM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by sniles
Bumping this as i've got a few C flights coming up in next few weeks. Any suggestions?

Personally am thinking NH's program as i see myself flying them for my trans-pacific flights in the future given my recent experiences. Are there any cons?

Not sure i'd pick Aeroplan as i've read about recent devaluations.

OZ i'm not sure about as i don't think i'd fly them to transpac given their inferior C product (no flat bed on routes i fly).

UA could be an option, but i won't fly them as long as they are still refurbishing their 777s.

LH could be an option as i use them for Europe flights when not on SkyTeam's KLM.
Crediting to LH does have a big advantage..first class fares generally earn 300% EQM's, and business class earns 200% EQMs (will vary somewhat with partner airline). However, that 80K annual mileage will probably equal 100K plus with class of service bonuses on LH....then you will get LH SENATOR status (Star Gold). LH SEN have good recognition on LH/LX flights. (Operational upgrades, etc).

Of course, LH C class still does not have a full flat bed. You can choose to fly the long hauls on the airlines that have nice products.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
JFK/LGA/EWR
Economy
5k - 30k - really depends on the year
none
(5) What is most important to you in a ffp?
Star alliance awards to Turkey (usually LH, TK). This is what I care about most. In particular, award availability and low booking fees and fuel surcharges. I try to book business awards when possible
(6) Which routes do you fly most often
NYC to Denver and San Juan (domestic) and NYC to Istanbul (international)
(7) Preferred Airlines
No preference for domestic carriers. Prefer Turkish Airlines internationally since they have non-stop flights form JFK -> IST
Both

In summary, all I really care about are flight awards (econ and business) and upgrades from NYC to Istanbul. Don't care much about status. I think I belong in a domestic FFP because of the absurd fuel charges on most international programs (I've purchased C class awards on Aeroplan and LH - typically cost ~$400 per ticket). What concerns me are *A flight redemptions on US or UA - there are a lot of mixed opinions on these forum regarding availability so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this. I also earn a lot of miles using credit cards (e.g., Amex MR transfers).

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

Last edited by AirD0c; Dec 27, 2011 at 8:32 am
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by AirD0c
JFK
Economy
5k - 30k - really depends on the year
none
(5) What is most important to you in a ffp?
Star alliance awards to Turkey (usually LH, TK). This is what I care about most. In particular, award availability and low booking fees and fuel surcharges. I try to book business awards when possible
(6) Which routes do you fly most often
JFK to Denver and San Juan (domestic) and JFK to Istanbul (international)
(7) Preferred Airlines
No preference for domestic carriers. Prefer Turkish Airlines internationally since they have non-stop flights form JFK -> IST
Both

In summary, all I really care about are flight awards (econ and business) and upgrades from JFK to Istanbul. Don't care much about status. I think I belong in a domestic FFP because of the absurd fuel charges on most international programs (I've purchased C class awards on Aeroplan and LH - typically cost ~$400 per ticket). What concerns me are *A flight redemptions on US or UA - there are a lot of mixed opinions on these forum regarding availability so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this. I also earn a lot of miles using credit cards (e.g., Amex MR transfers).

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.
If you dont care about status, stick to US Airways....the taxes ./ surcharges will be low.
If you care about status, go to Aegean (A3) or Turkish (TK)....taxes / surcharges will NOT be low.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: United 1k
(1) What is your home airport? SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Bus Class Int, Coach Domestic
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 120k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA 1k
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Domestic upgrades and easy award redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often SFO to Asia and Latam and some Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work (business class intl) and some personal travel
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by IlliniRon
(1) What is your home airport? SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Bus Class Int, Coach Domestic
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 120k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA 1k
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Domestic upgrades and easy award redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often SFO to Asia and Latam and some Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work (business class intl) and some personal travel
Any reason you dont want to stick to UA 1k ??
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: United 1k
Any reason you dont want to stick to UA 1k ??
I have not seen much value in being a 1k flyer on United yet, maybe I will someday. United and Continental seem to offer me few upgrades as 1k member, and miles redemption is quite limited, even for 1k, unless I need to do some special negotiating or something. I'm wondering if I should move to SQ's FF program so at least I can go on vacation to Bali or something. I think part of the lack of upgrade problem is there must be a lot of 1k members for UA located near SFO. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.