Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:59 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Hi all

I'm currently oneworld sapphire with BA (silver) but I'm considering switching alliances. Im based in Dublin & generally fly transatlantic business about twice per year which usually renews my status. I fly a few European short hops in Y on top of that. So which star carrier would be best for me to credit to to earn status? Currently AC, UA, TK, SK, LH, LX fly from DUB but that's not to say I have to credit to them. I suppose I'd like to reach Gold as lounge access is important to me and was previously Gold with BD

​​​​​​​Thanks for the advice
I'm not switching from OW (EXP on AA,) but for *A I'm choosing OZ for the same reason-lounge access. 40k in 24 months for *A Gold and easy to maintain with 40k in a 24 month requalification period. Though, being outside the US, you might try UA's program, since you don't have to do the PQD requirement. Just dislike UA and am trying to not give them any business of any nature.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Just dislike UA and am trying to not give them any business of any nature.
Using UA's FFP brings direct revenue to them, as other airlines pay cold hard cash to buy MP miles. Just saying.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
So which star carrier would be best for me to credit to to earn status? Currently AC, UA, TK, SK, LH, LX fly from DUB but that's not to say I have to credit to them. I suppose I'd like to reach Gold
I think you should look at SK. Backtracking from DUB to central Europe to go TATL sounds insane to me (also in view of preclearing immigration in DUB), but when you fly to the continent SK will give you something even for the cheapest economy fares on LH and LX.

Look at your travel patterns and see what you can get.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:50 am

(1) What is your home airport? (TNR - yes, Antananarivo, Madagascar!) My nearest hub that I spend a lot of time in is JNB - Joburg, South Africa)

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Always Y!

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? About 50,000 miles

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Nothing, although I have hundreds of thousands of Avios, mainly from credit card churn and my Amex Platinum!

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award redemption rates followed by upgrades (especially on SAA). I already get lounge access through my Amex Platinum.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often LHR-JNB and TNR-JNB

(7) Preferred Airlines Don't really mind, although prefer SAA to British Airways on LHR to South Africa routes.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. I am always allowed to choose my routes and make my own flight bookings on work flights.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
LGA/JFK (and EWR if needed)

Mainly Y fares (or Y+ for international, perhaps discounted J)

<25K/year but considering status runs

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
CX MPC Silver (OW Ruby), might have AA PLT (OW Sapphire) coming soon depending on the outcome of a status challenge

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Earn/burn usability, possible int'l upgrades and lounge access

Several domestic flights, one or two international annually (all in Y/Y+ depending on price)

(7) Preferred Airlines
*A: UA, LH, SQ

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Almost exclusively pleasure

Intrigued by *A Gold status, especially the ones with a 24 mo qualification period. Doing more flying as of late on United for domestic travel due to visiting family in DEN (so Delta/United direct flights from LGA). Previously an AA PLT but did not fly them enough to re-qualify since I was redeeming miles for international premium cabin flights.

Right now I'm considering SQ, OZ, UA and TK for crediting flights to (open to MS airline due to family tier point pooling). I know we're near the end of the calendar year, but looking to credit some upcoming flights and wouldn't mind some status runs to help bring me closer to where I need to be (such as SQ JFK-FRA in J for ~$2K)
LGA-DEN (UA T/V)
JFK-MUC (LH N/K *the latter may become N fare if cash upgrade to prem. econ opens up)

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:45 am

(1) What is your home airport? - AMS/BRU/DUS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?- Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? - 25-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present?- FB Silver/Skyteam Elite, but I'm looking to do a status challenge on *A due to much better fares. I'm torn between UA and AC.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? - Mostly baggage allowance and extra leg room, low fees on redemption second priority.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? - Transatlantic US & Canada
(7) Preferred Airlines - To fly UA and LH, but for the status challenge I'm torn between UA and AC because I have 22k miles on Aeroplan from when I was living in Canada. Do I start from scratch on UA with more award availability and an easier challenge, or do I build on the 22k I have with AC?
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? - Mostly pleasure in Y, in which case I can choose. I have one trip on AC coming up, but will choose UA over AC if given the option in the future.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
I now see there was a proper form for requests like these...

I normally fly OneWorld, where I hold highest Elite status (Emerald).

Will soon begin a new work project that calls for six round-trips between Brazil and Madagascar, all in J. Three in late 2017, three in early 2018. Most direct routing is with SAA, but I know nothing of their new Revenue-based program..

To which FF program (*A or other) would it be wisest to credit these trips? I could status-match if that would help. Would like to maximize value...and if possible, collect a useful Elite status outside OneWorld, with as much validity as possible.

To help the forum help me, herewith the answers to questions requested in the Sticky:

================================================== =======
(1) What is your home airport?

SJP, RAO are closest, though for best fares, I often book out of GRU or GIG

Because I'd often been able to use AA upgrade certificates (SWUs), I would often fly in J after purchasing deep-discount Y returns between Europe and Brazil; from Europe, I'd take advantage of discount-J tickets to Africa and Asia.

Normally more than 100,000 (until AA's new EQD requirement, I've re-qualified as EXP each year for the past decade. This year, will be OK on miles, but as the start of a vicious circle, I'll most certainly miss the spending threshold, which means no more upgrade certificates, which means no reason to fly AA between Europe and South America, which means fewer flown miles, which means I'm looking for a new program.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?

OneWorld Emerald / AA Executive Platinum (Good through January 2018), after which I'll drop to lifetime AA Platinum.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Easy upgrades to business on Y fares are what kept me with AA for so long - would be nice if the new program offered something similar. Decent earn/burn relationship is also important. Lounge access on Y fares is nice; but flying in J is better

Brazil <-> Southern Africa (twice annually)
Brazil <-> Madagascar (new - monthly commute)
Brazil <-> Europe (3-6 times a year, with opportunistic stops in NY, Miami, California, or Chicago)
Side trips from Europe to Asia (HKG, BKK, CGK) when projects take me there.

(7) Preferred Airlines

Until now, it's been all OneWorld. But AA's EQD requirements are pushing me to explore other options. Since my new job will have me flying a fair bit of SAA J-class, I'm keen to see what *A can offer. Who knows - maybe SAA's program is perfect for me...

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?

It's a mix... though for the new job, all flights are arranged on my behalf, so I'll have to take what I'm given. For personal flights, however, I can pick my own poison.

================================================== =======
Lastly: For what it's worth - I'm eligible for US-issued credit cards...

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you can make.

Last edited by checkerboard; Sep 19, 2017 at 3:34 pm Reason: Addition of background info on my upcoming travel pattern
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:50 pm

(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy/Lowest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Variable, mostly within North America, occasionally to Europe, upcoming flight YVR-BKK, SIN-YVR on Air China business class paid for with our own $'s
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? We have a few miles in Alaska Airlines mileage plan
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Flight rewards, flight upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often North American Domestic, Every couple of years YVR to Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines No preference yet
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? For pleasure

Since this upcoming Air China trip to Asia and back is our first business class flight and we paid for it ourselves we would hope that it can net us some future benefits. We just got approved for a credit card that awarded us with 20,000 bonus points which can be used on "any airline, any time". (BMO World Elite MasterCard).
Since CA is in Star Alliance and we fly from Canada would it be best to attach this to Aeroplan as Air Canada flight rewards would be useful.
My head is swimming trying to read all the information here so any help is appreciated. Oh, btw, on my CA ticket it says "R" class.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigenna
..Since this upcoming Air China trip to Asia and back is our first business class flight and we paid for it ourselves we would hope that it can net us some future benefits. We just got approved for a credit card that awarded us with 20,000 bonus points which can be used on "any airline, any time". (BMO World Elite MasterCard).

Since CA is in Star Alliance and we fly from Canada would it be best to attach this to Aeroplan as Air Canada flight rewards would be useful.

My head is swimming trying to read all the information here so any help is appreciated. Oh, btw, on my CA ticket it says "R" class.
Aeroplan is not owned by Air Canada. Air Canada has announced they will be instituting their own program circa 2020. It is not clear if Aeroplan miles not used by then will continue to be usable for Air Canada flights much after that.
Refer to this thread in the AC forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...am-2020-a.html

Earnings here http://www.wheretocredit.com/air-china/r (A guide, so check the ffp web sites)
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Aeroplan is not owned by Air Canada. Air Canada has announced they will be instituting their own program circa 2020. It is not clear if Aeroplan miles not used by then will continue to be usable for Air Canada flights much after that.
Refer to this thread in the AC forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...am-2020-a.html

Earnings here http://www.wheretocredit.com/air-china/r (A guide, so check the ffp web sites)
I was aware of the Air Canada/Aeroplan upcoming changes but since I can't figure out how or what ffp I could attach that would be of use to me I guess I was hoping I could get some type of flight or reward before 2020. If you or anyone else have any other ideas please I would be appreciative. This whole thing is boggling my mind.
Also I have checked the "wheretocredit" site and don't understand what it says. "RDM.? Tier 1, Tier 2", etc.
If I sound like I have no clue that is definitely the case, and that is why I am hoping you will share your knowledge with me.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:24 am

Also I have checked the "wheretocredit" site and don't understand what it says. "RDM.? Tier 1, Tier 2", etc.
If I sound like I have no clue that is definitely the case, and that is why I am hoping you will share your knowledge with me.
RDM is the "base rate" of earning in a program. Tier 1, 2, etc is the "enhanced" rate that you have when you have status in a certain program. In your case, since you're starting from scratch, just look at the RDM column.

Since all programs credit at 125%, and since it seems that the easiest way for you to use miles is AC, just credit to Aeroplan and spend the miles as quickly as you can.
bigenna likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:36 am

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was aware of the Air Canada/Aeroplan upcoming changes but since I can't figure out how or what ffp I could attach that would be of use to me I guess I was hoping I could get some type of flight or reward before 2020. If you or anyone else have any other ideas please I would be appreciative. This whole thing is boggling my mind.
The wheretocredit tier charts aren't always correct. I would check on the actual airline's websites for that
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
(1) What is your home airport? HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Cheapest cabin
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (< 10 k, most probably about 2 to 5 k, on all alliances combined)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? long soft (at least 3 years) expiry date, easy to redeem short haul economy flights
(6) Which routes do you fly most often short haul from Hong Kong
(7) Preferred Airlines any non-Hong Kong based airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? For joining foreign international sports completion

I have about 1.2k miles in my Aeroplan now, should I continue to use it? Or let them expire in 2020 and use another program instead? When choosing flights my only concerns are time (non-stop flights are preferred) and price (always cheapest cabin unless higher cabin available in less than 10% premium)
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Star Alliance
(1) What is your home airport?

YYZ/YTZ.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Y/B/M

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?

About 35-50K+ if I exclusively buy Y or B fares. Although I'm willing to do some mileage runs to get *A Gold if needs be.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?

Altitude 25K in Aeroplan/AC.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Lounge Access/Priority Check-in and baggage handling/Redemption/Upgrades in that order

(6) Which routes do you fly most often

Transpacific (Mostly YYZ-TPE-MNL or BKK)

(7) Preferred Airlines

Eva Air/Asiana/Singapore Airlines/Air Canada

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?

Pleasure mostly. I prefer airlines that allow me to go to SEA for cheap. Cause from there I can fly with either Thai Airways or low-cost carriers. I do like AC but the problem is the only time I won't be making status is this year and the fact I could have gotten *A gold last year was also a problem cause of their AQD. I would fly 15K miles RT and get no AQD cause it's not under AC but still under *A. for 50K I need to spend 6k.

Flights that I do a year if it's any relevance (once in Asia though, I tend to fly Air Asia but willing to fly *A if the cost is worth it) :

BOLDED are flights I take for sure yearly.
Italicized are optional or I take with low-cost carriers.

YYZ-TPE [sometimes 2x/year]
TPE-BKK
TPE-SIN

TPE-MNL
MNL-KUL

YYZ-LAS/LAX [I do this maybe 2-3 weekends/year]
YYZ-JFK

Last edited by 1337wafflez; Sep 30, 2017 at 4:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.