Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Delay Compensation Rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Southwest Delay Compensation Rules

Are there any rules/policies that Southwest has in place when it comes to denied boarding and delays?

I can't seem to find anything on their web site.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
On oversells, they will seek volunteers. Depending on length of delay, they will offer a travel voucher for $100 or $200, plus the value of your one-way ticket and put you on priority standby for next available flight (or confirm you, if space is available). They are often pro-active in oversell situations. While at LAS this week, they paged a couple by name who were booked LAS-DEN-MDW, as LAS-DEN was oversold. They offered the couple the MDW non-stop arriving only 10 minutes later than their connection would have arrived at Midway, plus a voucher for $100 + ticket value. The couple accepted and they never had to seek volunteers.

On delays, don't expect anything at the gate. However, there have been numerous reports of inconvenienced passengers subsequently receiving a letter of apology and a voucher for future travel. There is a thread in this Forum on that topic.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:46 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Nevada1K
On oversells, they will seek volunteers. Depending on length of delay, they will offer a travel voucher for $100 or $200, plus the value of your one-way ticket and put you on priority standby for next available flight (or confirm you, if space is available). They are often pro-active in oversell situations. While at LAS this week, they paged a couple by name who were booked LAS-DEN-MDW, as LAS-DEN was oversold. They offered the couple the MDW non-stop arriving only 10 minutes later than their connection would have arrived at Midway, plus a voucher for $100 + ticket value. The couple accepted and they never had to seek volunteers.

On delays, don't expect anything at the gate. However, there have been numerous reports of inconvenienced passengers subsequently receiving a letter of apology and a voucher for future travel. There is a thread in this Forum on that topic.
I have always had to call Customer Service and ask for vouchers...I've never had Southwest send any vouchers automatically...

I don't recall the specifics from my last calls (about a year & a half ago) but was told that they had a chart of dollar amounts to offer for delays of X hour(s) and went by that list in determining how much to give you in vouchers..I was originally given $50 for a delay/cancellation in LAS; I called again after finding out info on how the GA lied in LAS & was offered another $50. These were some type of certs that I had to mail in after flying two additional r/ts on Southwest; they then credited my credit card $50 for each..
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:57 am

I was delayed in Chicago last November. We took off from Midway and had to emergency land at O'Hare. I forget the exact cause but something was stuck in one of the engines or something in that realm. We waited at O'Hare for about 3 hours while they brought over another plane.

On the flight back to the bay area they didn't charge for alcohol and 2 weeks or so later I received a letter of apology, a detailed account of the problem as to why we landed and a round trip green pass.

I never complained or called customer service. All I did was fill out a passenger information forum that they gave us at O'Hare. This kind of customer service is why I fly SWA. I was impressed at the thoroughness of the letter and good will offer.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:35 am

Received 5 vouchers for our family this past summer. Did not make a phone call, did not fill anything out at airport.

Flight was delayed, delayed, delayed than cancelled. Passengers were ticked. Was going to make a phone call after we got back, received vouchers before the call would have been made.

Pleased I did not have to go through the grief of making the phone call. It would have been ugly

Christine
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:03 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Hi everyone,
Hopefully, I can clarify. First off, our rules for denied boarding compensation are laid out in two places, our Contract of Carriage and our Customer Service Commitment. These are available at southwest.com under "Travel Tools" and then "Policies." As for delays, there is no set compensation guidelines. Many delays are short in nature, but they are inherent in any kind of travel. However, we do have a Proactive Customer Service Department that monitors our operation on a daily basis. If there are flights with lengthy delays or some kind of unusual operational issue, they will write every Customer on the flight individually. "Msraz" and "JohnDunn" above were on such flights, and I actually was the one who, if I remember correctly," wrote the Chicago Customers mentioned in John's letter. (I used to work in the Executive Office.)
Brian
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I had three canceled flights on Southwest last year (2 mechanicals, and 1 allegedly due to weather), and did not receive any compensation or apologies. On the other hand, I was able to get to my final destination within about 2 hours of schedule in each case, so I really did not expect any compensation.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:57 am

more southwest frustrations

The last two flights I had with Southwest were delayed 5+ hours due to "weather". The thing is when I checked the doppler radar from the airport their was no adverse weather where they claimed the delay was being caused. Staff at the airport was fairly rude and said "sorry we can't control the weather" and refused to compensate me. After a few calls they are adamant that "flights delayed due to weather will not be compensated". Today I check on my flight and it's another 4 hour delay. Needles to say I am very frustrated and find Southwest to have become very unreliable. I have been a loyal customer, frequent flier member, and credit card holder of Southwest but have reached my wits end. With no compensation offered for any of these huge inconveniences I am fed up with Southwest. In the past I never had any problems, but it seems Southwest is taking a turn in the wrong direction and while I can't control the "weather", I can control who I fly with and Southwest will not be in my future plans.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
A couple of months ago I was delayed seven hours for a mechanical problem. GA handed out $200 LUV vouchers to every pax. That made the 3am arrival a little easier to take.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Only compensation I ever received from WN was that I made $400 playing video poker at LAS during a 3 hour mechanical delay
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It would be helpful to have some data points with length of delay, nature/reason and compensation, if any. The foregoing discussion is rather useless without these details. There is a big difference between a 2-hour weather related delay and a 4 hour mechanical.

for the record I have never been offered compensation for any delay on WN. The most recent delays have been 1-2 hours, always blamed on "weather" but in some cases just looks like the schedule is too tight and the incoming flight is running behind.

By contrast, most airlines will offer comp. if flight is cancelled due to mechanical but not if due to weather (though UA and others have been known to pay for rooms for top tier flyers when needed).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:53 pm

This is a thread from four years ago???
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by Miles Man
This is a thread from four years ago???
Not any more, now it is a thread from yesterday.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Didn't notice that - doh! Well it would still be nice if WN could post guidelines which I'm certain must exist as this happens every day. Of course, then people would know what they are entitled to, rather than making them beg for it or rely on the good offices of WN airport personnel.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Compensation for flight delay due to mechanical issue

Does Southwest have a policy on this? I do know that the legacy carriers provide food vouchers when customers get stranded for hours due to a mechanical issue.

I had the pleasure of spending an extra 2 hours in MCI due to a mechanical delay out of SFO for my connecting flight. I asked the gate agents about this and they said Southwest gives nothing if there is a mechanical delay. Is this accurate? They informed me that they had to reroute a plane from SAN to connect at MCI for our connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.