Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

The current sale has been extended through through July 28. That should make everyone feel better. They must be confident that all systems will be back up and running by July 28.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mke9499
The current sale has been extended through through July 28. That should make everyone feel better. They must be confident that all systems will be back up and running by July 28.
That promise doesn't mean a lot if the fare you want is a competitive match hot deal rather than an ordinary sale lame deal.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Earnings call tomorrow. Could be some fireworks because of this. "Your computer systems have grounded you how long in the past two years?!"
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:10 pm

Inbound plane arrived, but didn't come to my gate. Hmmm. Flight Aware still said "delayed." No ops agent anywhere near, despite fact that we should be boarding soon. Found an ops agent at a different gate, waited 15 minutes to ask about flight and was told that it was cancelled.

Lines for gate agents now 60-70 people long. Still announcing over PA that the systems are mostly down and they can't rebook anyone. No bags will be recovered, they'll allegedly fly on to destination on first available flight tomorrow.

Website down, phone line 45+ minute hold only to be told they can't rebook anyone either.

Home. Guess I'll try early tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow is gonna suck.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Inbound plane arrived, but didn't come to my gate. Hmmm. Flight Aware still said "delayed." No ops agent anywhere near, despite fact that we should be boarding soon. Found an ops agent at a different gate, waited 15 minutes to ask about flight and was told that it was cancelled.

Lines for gate agents now 60-70 people long. Still announcing over PA that the systems are mostly down and they can't rebook anyone.

Website down, phone line 45+ minute hold only to be told they can't rebook anyone either.

Home. Guess I'll try early tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow is gonna suck.
Thank you for the ongoing updates. Good luck tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:23 pm

Website partially up. Able to log on but can't access my trips.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
...and all my flights for the next couple weeks are going to United.

Also, I hate United.

But I fear WN systemwide IT failure more
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Thanks all for the info. Ended up rebooking her on AA through Phoenix. Original flight did end up going out for BWI-SAN a little over 2 hours late according to flightaware. Any thoughts on getting a refund for the abandoned ticket? Told her not to call today as I am sure the phone lines were jammed and since phone agents didn't have computer access either, they probably couldn't process the refund anyway. I would think that they would be pretty flexible on this front given the situation, but I was assuming the flight was going to be cancelled, which shockingly ended up not being the case it appears. Any experiences yet on this?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:34 pm

Random sampling of flights currently airborne shows many, many flights operating 4-6 hours behind schedule. Some west coast stuff not scheduled to arrive until 2.30am or later.

Days like this (which keep happening over and over) actually make me feel sad for the front-line employees, who really do try very hard - but they are hamstrung by a totally inept, inexcusably lame back office operation.

Clearly WN management has made the weak decision over and over to keep kicking the can down the road on their IT problems. Over and over these fiascos happen. Sad state of affairs.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:42 pm

Website appears to be fully functional now.

Earlier today, I was able to check in via the app (after 30 mins). I received position A31. My two kids are also traveling with me, same itinerary booked at the same time. The app does not allow check-in of other passengers on the same "trip". I thought my kids would be checked in when I did but they weren't. I just checked them in, and my son who I checked in first received A59 and my daughter who I checked in next received A17. Is this due to the technical problems?

Also, I have pre but that didn't populate to their boarding pass...is this also due to the technical problems?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:43 pm

Stuck in Oakland

Have been stuck in Oakland for over 3 hours. Gate agent told me that some pilots ran out of hours to fly and they are looking for more pilots. Plane was supposed to be in NOLA at 0105 but not sure if we even leave tonight. Hope something works out.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:47 pm

Angry

Right now my wife and daughter just had their flight cancelled in San Jose airport on flight 2625 to Orange County. Gate agent offered two options fly to LAX or LAS. Then walk home. No hotel voucher nothing - no confirmed flight tomorrow home for them. I thought Southwest puts the customer first especially frequent flyers. confirm # 95XXXX & 9VXXXX.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:38 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by asquare
Thanks all for the info. Ended up rebooking her on AA through Phoenix. Original flight did end up going out for BWI-SAN a little over 2 hours late according to flightaware. Any thoughts on getting a refund for the abandoned ticket? Told her not to call today as I am sure the phone lines were jammed and since phone agents didn't have computer access either, they probably couldn't process the refund anyway. I would think that they would be pretty flexible on this front given the situation, but I was assuming the flight was going to be cancelled, which shockingly ended up not being the case it appears. Any experiences yet on this?
Last time WN had this scale of outage (not that long ago) I also abandoned my reservation (was unable to check in, unable to cancel, etc) and booked a ticket on AA. Called Customer Relations in TX a few days later and they were extremely accommodating: full refund on the abandoned ticket and a $200 LUV voucher to offset the cost of the more expensive AA ticket.

Don't call them tonight, or tomorrow. Maybe a day after this settles out.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by hrmiller
Right now my wife and daughter just had their flight cancelled in San Jose airport on flight 2625 to Orange County. Gate agent offered two options fly to LAX or LAS. Then walk home. No hotel voucher nothing - no confirmed flight tomorrow home for them. I thought Southwest puts the customer first especially frequent flyers. confirm # 95XXXX & 9VXXXX.
There has been a system-wide outage all day today and pretty much all flights have been severely delayed or outright canceled. They are doing their best under very difficult circumstances. Read this thread for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...roundstop.html

And you should remove your personal information. I've alerted a moderator to do so.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jul 21, 2016 at 1:38 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by jerryc436
Have been stuck in Oakland for over 3 hours. Gate agent told me that some pilots ran out of hours to fly and they are looking for more pilots. Plane was supposed to be in NOLA at 0105 but not sure if we even leave tonight. Hope something works out.
I assume you're on WN 3049, which is now officially a redeye! Yay! WN finally launches Redeyes!

Seriously though, will MSY be open at 4 AM or whenever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.