Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW companion pass - transferring Marriott Reward points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW companion pass - transferring Marriott Reward points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ceres
Just FYI, I just bot the MR travel package and I'll let you know if and when it posts on my CP status. Already have 9k points from CC spend and a BS flight.
For data point sake, I bot the Travel package on Friday and it posted the points and also for companion pass withing 48 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
At .7 cents ( a value that I never use points for ) the transfer is still a loosing proposition unless other factors are involved. I hope the poster understands that WN points are no longer worth 1.67 cents.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lougord99
At .7 cents ( a value that I never use points for ) the transfer is still a loosing proposition unless other factors are involved. I hope the poster understands that WN points are no longer worth 1.67 cents.
Using at .7 is something I wont do either. I am a Platinum so I stay in a lot of Marriotts. I just saw one redemption for a RC at 1.5 and a lot of different properties at the 1 cent mark while I was booking this morning. I chose to use mine for a Cat 9 travel package with 120K of WN points and got the CP. That really brings up MR points value.
Just my opine
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:22 pm

I don't want to get the thread off track, but I completely disagree about the valuation of Southwest points. I just booked two tickets SEA to PVR. Today. I paid cash (well, travel funds + cash) for one, and points + cash (for the tax) for the other.

The cash price was $193.32 (including all fees and taxes). The points price was 9,660 + $28.52 fee. That makes $164.80 the value of 9660 points, or 1.7 cents per points. That's the redemption value I get most of the time.

And yes, we've had CP for the last 2 years and are currently working a new one, which would make the value 3.4 cents per point, but I am not even going there. Even without that RR points are much more valuable to me personally than Marriott points. The ease with which you can re-book a flight using RR points is wonderful, etc.

On the other hand, 90% of the time I tried booking using Marriott points, I was getting .5 cents per point valuation or worse. I did manage to book a $100 room for 10000 points by DAL once, but just once. The Points Guy values Marriott Points at 0.7 cents per point, but I personally feel even that is high. See

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/janu...ly-valuations/

For those of you getting higher value out of Marriott points, that's great. They were definitely not for me.

Back to the original datapoint I was providing (that seems to have gotten lost)

Marriott points transfers definitely do qualify for the CP.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The points value of Marriott is up to each individual person and their use. The points value of Southwest is fact and is absolutely not more than 1.4 cents. There is no argument there.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by alexgav
I don't want to get the thread off track, but I completely disagree about the valuation of Southwest points. I just booked two tickets SEA to PVR. Today. I paid cash (well, travel funds + cash) for one, and points + cash (for the tax) for the other.

The cash price was $193.32 (including all fees and taxes). The points price was 9,660 + $28.52 fee. That makes $164.80 the value of 9660 points, or 1.7 cents per points. That's the redemption value I get most of the time.
You may want to search this WN forum to fully see the variables of the calculation, it is quite complex and lower fares can artificially inflate the perceived value since the taxes/fees are fixed. $.0142 is considered the max value. Also the $28.52 "fee" seems incorrect, it's $5.60 each way unless something has changed.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 11, 2016 at 6:06 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Also the $28.52 "fee" seems incorrect, it's $5.60 each way unless something has changed.

The $5.60 is only for domestic flights. International is very different
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The $5.60 is only for domestic flights. International is very different
My bad, apologies to all, I glanced at that as Providence, RI (PVD)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Member

Timeline info: I transferred Choice points to WN on 1-Jan-16. They posted on 9-Jan, and did count toward CP. Along with WN CC spend, this gave me over 110,000 CP qualifying points in 2016. I received the congratulatory EMAIL on 13-Jan, and was able to designate my companion and begin booking flights for her immediately.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
The points value of Marriott is up to each individual person and their use. The points value of Southwest is fact and is absolutely not more than 1.4 cents. There is no argument there.
Fact: TPA to STL $77 which would be a base fare of $71.4 after the $5.60 dollar tax is deducted. This flight can be paid for in points for 4094. $71.4 divided by 4094 comes out to 1.744 cents per point
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Fact: TPA to STL $77 which would be a base fare of $71.4 after the $5.60 dollar tax is deducted. This flight can be paid for in points for 4094. $71.4 divided by 4094 comes out to 1.744 cents per point
I think you also need to deduct the excise tax.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think you also need to deduct the excise tax.
Basically with this particular flight I had two choices: Book with points and pay $5.60 + 4094 points or pay the fare of $71.40 + the $5.60 in tax for a total of $77.00. What ever the $71.40 consists of doesn't really matter because the points covered that portion, thus in this situation 4094 points = $71.40 and 71.40/4094 = 1.744 cents per point.

This also was just one example I knew about because I had booked this flight. When searching for other flights I saw others that were even greater value. I didn't bother to do the calculations but I'd be willing to bet some of them were 1.9 or better.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:35 am

Data-point-wise: Just transferred some Marriott points into my Southwest account to top it up for companion pass. Order placed Sep 6, points were immediately deducted from my Marriott account, and posted to Southwest today Sep 8, earning my companion pass. So, took about 2 business days.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:19 pm

Question, why not wait until December and then decide how many points to transfer? This is the first year I may need to consider such a transfer (light travel year). Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Question, why not wait until December and then decide how many points to transfer? This is the first year I may need to consider such a transfer (light travel year). Thanks
If you're asking me specifically, it's because I was supposed to have the CP a few months ago and, long story short, we didn't end up achieving it as planned. As we've already missed two opportunities to use the CP (two flights in the last two months), I did not want to squander a third coming up here very soon. I'm alright only having the CP for the rest of this year and all of next, because my wife will get it in early 2018, allowing me to grab it again in 2020.

EDIT: I should add that I name my wife as a companion and my wife names me, so between the two of us we're always flying for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.