Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Actually looks like I was wrong. First statement will close on 11/27. That means my window to spend the 2k is between 12/27 and 1/22, and the January statement won't close until 1/27.

How long does it take to get the companion pass once the bonus points hit? I have a flight on 2/4 booked (paid for) for my wife, and the same flight booked with points for me right now. I'd like to get the companion pass before then to re-book the flight for me on the companion pass.

I'm thinking I sould move the statement date to 12/15 or so, to give me a bit of a buffer.

Do you have 2 cards ? How are you earning the other 55K points.

CP posts a day or 2 after you meet the 110K points
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:12 pm

Question for all you FTs...Have CP for '14. If I book a flight for the holidays lets say 12/27-1/3 how do they handle the CP? Is the entire trip covered or just the flight out and not the return.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by goduke7
Question for all you FTs...Have CP for '14. If I book a flight for the holidays lets say 12/27-1/3 how do they handle the CP? Is the entire trip covered or just the flight out and not the return.
If you book a RT that straddles the New Year, it will not allow you to add your Compaion.

Book yourself on two separate one-ways (outbound "this" year & return "next" year) and add your Companion to the outbound in 2014. Book the Companion's return in the New Year with either cash or points.

Companion Pass valid thru 2014 works exactly as it reads, and not a day longer.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Do you have 2 cards ? How are you earning the other 55K points.

CP posts a day or 2 after you meet the 110K points
The other points are through a UR - hyatt - sw transfer.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
And that little bit of info ( first statement had not closed) changes everything.

Since you never had a statement close they never moved up your statement.

You made it sound like a statement closed on the 15th of the month and then the next month it closed on the 5th or some other date much earlier.

Had you stated that it was your first billing period it would have made sense and I'm sure several people here would have pointed that out to you.

From once ONE statement closes they can not move your statement closing date more than a day or two to adjust the 30 day billing period.

So I go back to my posters with 12 total posts comment. Thanks for proving my point.
No, my post stated that from the time I set up the account, the listed closing date was July 24. Then, on July 15, when I charged enough $$ to take me over the CP status, they changed my closing date to 7/15.

That's what I was complaining about. Not sure what having only 12 posts has to do with anything, other than ad hominem insults unbecoming of this forum.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by BrerNashville
No, my post stated that from the time I set up the account, the listed closing date was July 24. Then, on July 15, when I charged enough $$ to take me over the CP status, they changed my closing date to 7/15.

That's what I was complaining about. Not sure what having only 12 posts has to do with anything, other than ad hominem insults unbecoming of this forum.
I guess you had some very bad luck, I have had hundreds of cards and never an issue.

As far as the 12 posts comment that is MY PERSONAL OPINION, not an insult.

Nothing personal against you but I don't make my decisions around a possible isolated incident ESPECIALLY when the person making the statement is not very active in this forum.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Tried to research but didn't find anything. Can I designate myself as my own companion? Essentially just have an extra seat every time I fly?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Tried to research but didn't find anything. Can I designate myself as my own companion? Essentially just have an extra seat every time I fly?
The only people who have done that successfully are customers of size.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:37 pm

So, my CP plan is not going the way I wanted. Now, I have:

- SW personal card: 50k points not posted yet, will get them to post after I meet min. spend after Jan. 2015.
- Chase Ink Plus card: 70k points not posted yet, will post after I meet min. spend

Based on my calculations, if I transfer my 70k UR > Hyatt > SW, I only have a total of 78k RR miles towards CP. I need to come up with 32k RR miles (or 80k UR points).

Any ideas on how to do this without signing up for another Chase card? (Based on my recon efforts with my recent Chase approvals, I may have maxed out my Chase CL). Based on my annual spend on cc's, it will take at least a year to come up with 80k UR points or 32k RR miles without doing any MS. I could do some MS, but I'm assuming it will still raise some red flags.

I thought I had an alternate option of buying a Marriott vacation package, but I just learned that I need to buy it using Marriott points, not cash. Am I out of luck?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by nsc168
So, my CP plan is not going the way I wanted. Now, I have:

- SW personal card: 50k points not posted yet, will get them to post after I meet min. spend after Jan. 2015.
- Chase Ink Plus card: 70k points not posted yet, will post after I meet min. spend

Based on my calculations, if I transfer my 70k UR > Hyatt > SW, I only have a total of 78k RR miles towards CP. I need to come up with 32k RR miles (or 80k UR points).

Any ideas on how to do this without signing up for another Chase card? (Based on my recon efforts with my recent Chase approvals, I may have maxed out my Chase CL). Based on my annual spend on cc's, it will take at least a year to come up with 80k UR points or 32k RR miles without doing any MS. I could do some MS, but I'm assuming it will still raise some red flags.

I thought I had an alternate option of buying a Marriott vacation package, but I just learned that I need to buy it using Marriott points, not cash. Am I out of luck?
Whereabouts do you live/home airport?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Whereabouts do you live/home airport?
My home airport is LAX, but I'm also pretty close to BUR, ONT, LGB, and SNA.

I was corrected on my CP math in another thread: so it appears I need to spend $6k more on my Ink card in office supplies to reach the 110k needed for CP. This is way more doable than I was originally thinking.

I still feel that spending UR points like this is kind of a waste, so if I don't manage the spend by March 2015, then maybe I'll apply for a SW business card at that point.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:31 pm

My home airport is LAX, but I'm also pretty close to BUR, ONT, LGB, and SNA.

I was corrected on my CP math in another thread: so it appears I need to spend $6k more on my Ink card in office supplies to reach the 110k needed for CP. This is way more doable than I was originally thinking.

I still feel that spending UR points like this is kind of a waste, so if I don't manage the spend by March 2015, then maybe I'll apply for a SW business card at that point.
You could do something totally bizarre....like fly in an airplane. LAX-ATL is easy, neither are prone to weather issues. A BS trip over & back nets just over 10K Points. Do one of those on each of the next three Saturdays (slow travel day) and you should be done. Points typically post overnight after your flight.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:44 pm

You could do something totally bizarre....like fly in an airplane. LAX-ATL is easy, neither are prone to weather issues. A BS trip over & back nets just over 10K Points. Do one of those on each of the next three Saturdays (slow travel day) and you should be done. Points typically post overnight after your flight.
Besides the fact that there are other things I need to spend $1200 on besides flying for no reason, how do you get a 10k point valuation for a ~$400 flight? I need to fly LAX-ATL in April, and based on my preferred flights and the SW website, I'm only going to earn around 2k points. Do I purchase $400 in SW giftcards at Staples first to pay for the flight?

Edited: Oh I see, you mean BS for Business Select. Wow, okay, so you're suggesting I spend close to $1000 for 10k RR points, or $3000 for 30k. I get that $3000 < $6000, but if I had $3k just to throw away on 3 Saturdays of flying around in BS, I would be playing a very different game.

Last edited by nsc168; Nov 4, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:02 pm

Besides the fact that there are other things I need to spend $1200 on besides flying for no reason, how do you get a 10k point valuation for a ~$400 flight? I need to fly LAX-ATL in April, and based on my preferred flights and the SW website, I'm only going to earn around 2k points. Do I purchase $400 in SW giftcards at Staples first to pay for the flight?

Edited: Oh I see, you mean BS for Business Select. Wow, okay, so you're suggesting I spend close to $1000 for 10k RR points, or $3000 for 30k. I get that $3000 < $6000, but if I had $3k just to throw away on 3 Saturdays of flying around in BS, a lot of things would be different.
Post #700 mentioned you needed 32,000 points (they're not miles) without doing any more credit card churning. I realize flying in an airplane is somewhat old-fashioned, but for those of us that easily qualify that way in the first part of the year...it works.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:15 pm

Post #700 mentioned you needed 32,000 points (they're not miles) without doing any more credit card churning. I realize flying in an airplane is somewhat old-fashioned, but for those of us that easily qualify that way in the first part of the year...it works.
Thanks. That doesn't work as well, for me. Another poster advised a bit earlier that I could:

- Convert 50k UR points > 50k Hyatt points > 30k WN pts.
- Then, buy $6000 in gift cards at office supply stores which I can use to pay bills with. The cost of buying those gift cards will be approximately $208.50. $6k*5x office supply bonus = 30k UR pts.
- Combine remaining 20k UR pts (remaining from 70k Ink Plus bonus) with add'l 30k UR pts = 50k more UR pts to convert to 30k WN pts.

And that should equal 110k pts. So, my cost for doing this will essentially be $208.50 (in gift card fees). It will actually be less than that because I'll also be buying no-fee branded gift cards.

The only thing that saddens me a little is the fact that I'll be spending 100k UR points to convert to only 60k WN pts. But, I think the use I'll get out of the CP will be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.