Public Transportation from SCL to Vina del Mar, Chile

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Public Transportation from SCL to Vina del Mar, Chile

How is this done?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:08 pm

Welcome to FT!

Pullman (www.pullman.cl) and TurBus (www.turbus.com - site appears to be down right now) are intercity bus companies offering frequent, high-quality service between Santiago and Valparaiso/Viña del Mar. They leave from the main bus terminal in Santiago. It's about a two hour trip from Santiago one way, depending on departure time.

You can get to the main bus terminal from the SCL airport by taxi or shared van service; check with the transportation desk just before the customs exit.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I've read about a bus that LAN provides for LAN passengers. Does anyone know about that? Seems like it would save time, since no back-tracking into Santiago would be needed.

Also, if I wanted to go skiing, is it possible to take public transport to say Portillo or Valle Nevado (?). How is the skiing this year? Enough snow? Are there late season discounts? What is a good place for a stong intermediate skier? Any cross-country places?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:33 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Have not heard of a Lan run transfer service. If there is, I want to know about it.

You might want to contact Transvip. IMO, this company runs the best, most economical shared van transfer service between the airport and the city and also offers special services like transfers to Viña (according to their literature).

The cheapest way though would be to take the blue Centropuerto bus from SCL and get off at the main Turbus/Pullman bus terminal in Santiago (Universidad de Santiago Metro Station), buy a ticket and take a comfortable bus over to Viña. Buses to Valpo/Viña run throughout the day. I myself am partial to Pullman. Do watch your stuff and pockets especially at the bus stations.

For the skiing questions, do a search on Lonely Planet's The Thorn Tree South America forum. I recall reading that there is a daily bus service from the Los Condes area of Santiago that takes you directly to the nearby ski resorts. So I guess you would take Turbus or Pullman bus to Santiago, hop directly on the Metro train to Los Condes and then take the bus to the ski resort.

Have an excellent trip!

PS
Saw this blurb today in the English language Santiago Times:
SKIERS REJOICE AS SEASON EXTENDS
To the delight of skiers and resorts alike, this year’s Chilean ski
season will continue until the middle of October, due to the unusually
large amount of snow that has fallen in the Andes.
Major ski resorts, especially those close to the Metropolitan area,
are expecting to break visitor records because of the extra month.
“The temperatures for snow statistically last until August,” said
Luis Salazar, a professional meteorologist. However, this year the
Chilean Weather Center has predicted the season will continue well
into October as some mountain regions have almost six meters of
snow.
For Chilean ski resorts, the long lasting cold weather is a financial
treat.
“We are hoping for almost 150,000 skiers this year,” said Eduardo
Kuhn, manager of El Colorado ski resort. “Without a doubt we are
going to pass our previous records. We have already had a 30 percent
increase of visitors this year.”
Ski resorts traditionally garner the majority of their profits in July
from vacationing Chilean and international families. Foreigners make
up approximately 10 percent of the yearly visitors.

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Aug 19, 2005 at 1:01 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Just want to back up Viajero and El Cochinito. I'd take Transvip to Alamdeda/Estacion Central from the airport. Its cheap and easy. You can also depart from the Pajaritos Station (though thats a little more sketchy in my opinion). Then I'd take pullmanbus or turbus to Vina del Mar. They'll be cheap (around $8 US to Vina if I can remember), and once you're in Vina the bus station is a 15 minute walk from the beach (or $3-4 taxi ride). Enjoy!

There also may be vans/buses from the airport...but I was never looking for them. You don't need to superplan this as getting to Vina is easy and there are busses until at least midnight every night (probably later). Vina is an hour ride away.

As far as skiing goes. I love La Parva and Valle Nevado. They're great and can EASILY be done as a day trip from Santiago. Ski Total on Apoquindo Av. (just 3 blocks east of Avda. Amerigo Vespucio) has tons of little vans heading up to all the resorts in the mornings. Good gear rental, and relatively cheap (compared to the US). Be sure you go on a good weather day as the ascent up to Valle Nevado is nearly impossible if its snowing (i was stuck on the road up for 4 1/2 hrs).

Also, if you're up for a 5hr bus ride south. Chillan is GREAT! Its a thermal region/resort town about an hour from the town of Chillan, and you can ski and then relax in hot thermals. Its wonderful, and the resort atmosphere is great. You can either stay at the "Gran Termas de Chillan" (SUPER expensive) or rent a cabin below for MUCH MUCH cheaper (and then bus up to the mountain, 5 mins, 75cents). Just make sure to take pullmanbus there or lineaazul, as they offer a non-stop express bus, which is faster than Turbus (5hrs) and cheaper.

Last edited by Wingman32; Sep 7, 2005 at 5:33 pm
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info re: the skiing. Termas de Chillian sounds way good.

What I have going is that I go into SCL on Sept 27, and go to Renaca. I have to leave on Oct 13. In between is sort of up in the air. I priced the Turbus from Vina to Chillian at about $12, but takes 5 hours. Where, exactly, do I get the express bus on LineasAzul?

Do I rent the ski equipment in Santiago/Vina, or do I get something there?

Is there snow? I've heard its been a long winter.

The lodging on the link looks great. How are the hot springs? Healing properties?

Thanks for all your information
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:20 am
Original Poster

LAN runs a little shuttle bus to Viña del Mar from SCL. I took it yesterday from the airport. Cost 5,000 pesos. Left at 8:00 AM from the curb at the far right hand side of the public transport area, near the Transvip vans.

There were only 3 people on it. How do they make money on it?

The van drops you at 3 Norte and Libertdad. This is the main drag, so was able to get a taxi--although I could have gotten a suicide bus.

The return may not work as well, as it leaves at 4:45, but my flight doesn´t go till 10:10.

The shuttle is for LAN customers only. But nobody checked me.

Still trying to go skiing. Cool here, but the trees are starting bud and there are poppies all over.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bakoboy
LAN runs a little shuttle bus to Viña del Mar from SCL. I took it yesterday from the airport. Cost 5,000 pesos. Left at 8:00 AM from the curb at the far right hand side of the public transport area, near the Transvip vans.

There were only 3 people on it. How do they make money on it?
On my trip(flight) there were about 15. It was a mini-van type bus and it's run by the same people that run the city/or whatever tours in Santiago. LAN may not be paying at all for this service. The tour co. may just be satisfied with what they get? Don't know for a fact, but if LAN is paying anything, it's probably minimal.

Originally Posted by bakoboy
The shuttle is for LAN customers only. But nobody checked me.
The bus driver had a name list when I took the bus from Vina to SCL just a week ago. I was told by LAN that you need reservation, otherwise, no go. It actually appeared as a LAN flight number on www.checkmytrip.com after I made reses at the Vina LAN office. No miles....

It is still 5000 Pesos, ~$10.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold, SPG Gold and HHonors Gold
I just found this post when looking for the same information and was wondering if it's still accurate. I'll be arriving in SCL via Delta so sounds like I'll need to go to Santiago to catch a bus to Vina del Mar? Any help would be appreciated!

Also, any concerns about having 2 large pieces of luggage on the bus?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.