FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Public Transportation from SCL to Vina del Mar, Chile
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:26 pm
Wingman32

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Just want to back up Viajero and El Cochinito. I'd take Transvip to Alamdeda/Estacion Central from the airport. Its cheap and easy. You can also depart from the Pajaritos Station (though thats a little more sketchy in my opinion). Then I'd take pullmanbus or turbus to Vina del Mar. They'll be cheap (around $8 US to Vina if I can remember), and once you're in Vina the bus station is a 15 minute walk from the beach (or $3-4 taxi ride). Enjoy!

There also may be vans/buses from the airport...but I was never looking for them. You don't need to superplan this as getting to Vina is easy and there are busses until at least midnight every night (probably later). Vina is an hour ride away.

As far as skiing goes. I love La Parva and Valle Nevado. They're great and can EASILY be done as a day trip from Santiago. Ski Total on Apoquindo Av. (just 3 blocks east of Avda. Amerigo Vespucio) has tons of little vans heading up to all the resorts in the mornings. Good gear rental, and relatively cheap (compared to the US). Be sure you go on a good weather day as the ascent up to Valle Nevado is nearly impossible if its snowing (i was stuck on the road up for 4 1/2 hrs).

Also, if you're up for a 5hr bus ride south. Chillan is GREAT! Its a thermal region/resort town about an hour from the town of Chillan, and you can ski and then relax in hot thermals. Its wonderful, and the resort atmosphere is great. You can either stay at the "Gran Termas de Chillan" (SUPER expensive) or rent a cabin below for MUCH MUCH cheaper (and then bus up to the mountain, 5 mins, 75cents). Just make sure to take pullmanbus there or lineaazul, as they offer a non-stop express bus, which is faster than Turbus (5hrs) and cheaper.

Last edited by Wingman32; Sep 7, 2005 at 5:33 pm