Wiki Posts
Search

ATM's at SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
ATM's at SCL?

In a few weeks we will be traveling from EZE to Easter Island via SCL.

Because I've read that ATM's on Easter Island are not reliable, I would like to pick up some Chilean Pesos at SCL.

Would appreciate some recommendations on where at SCL to get Pesos.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't been through SCL in a few months (and won't be back for a couple of weeks) - but the one I most reliably use (for years) is after you pass through immigration and customs and are in the general area, go to the right - there are ATMs a short walk down that corridor - you'll have to trip over a few dozen people offering you a taxi. I recall that there may be one in the customs area (I don't recall exactly where) before you are in the general public area.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
There is one in the baggage collection hall. Go through immigration, then you get sent to the right, then on your left is the baggage hall, then sort of at 11 o'clock in front of you and off to the left a bit there is an ATM.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Be aware of the Chile-side 2500 pesos per withdraw fee (3300 at BCI ATMs) and the 300,000 per withdraw cap (you can do multiple withdraws to your bank's limit).
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Be aware of the Chile-side 2500 pesos per withdraw fee (3300 at BCI ATMs) and the 300,000 per withdraw cap (you can do multiple withdraws to your bank's limit).
Are there any remaining banks that don't charge the fee? (none @ SCL, I know). It was down to about 2 last January.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:52 pm

Still the same two: Banco Estado (Cirrus only) and Banco Security unless you bank in Canada with Scotia or in the US with Bank of America and use Scotia or Banco de Desarrollo ATMs in Chile.

No Banco Estado at SCL AFAIK.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Thanks !

I will also be going into SCL and on to IPC in December,
so this helps to know exactly where to stock up.
Using a Schwab card which rebates fees, so that is no problem.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses!

I would also appreciate advice on car service or taxi from SCL to the Hyatt. I have heard that taxi rates are not fixed.

Edited to add: Just found this thread.....http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...portation.html

Last edited by yojimbo; Jun 6, 2011 at 7:01 am Reason: new info
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:42 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Taxis have greatly improved (or at least seem to have) recently at SCL. They used to be absolute pirates that badgered you and were known for taking you on merry rides all over the place.

SCL generally has cleaned up its act since I first went there in 2003 when even the customs guy hit me up for a tip for passing my bag through the xray machine

Now taxi drivers wear official lanyards and are definitely friendlier, but I would still take one of the shared mini-bus routes, costs about $7-10 if I remember rightly. That's how come it is handy to have an ATM in the baggage hall because you can book your bus ride after customs but before entering the throngs of touting taxi drivers. They have desks in the corridor between customs and the rest of the airport.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 am

I recall you can prepay for the official taxi service or shared van services in USD at their official desks before leaving customs and outside of customs in the terminal. Those rates are fixed depending on what part of town you are going to.

As tips are not mandatory for taxis unless they go out of their way to help you with something, this means you could wait till you get into town before finding an ATM (hopefully a Chile side fee free Banco Estado or Banco Security ATM) to get CLP cash.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall you can prepay for the official taxi service or shared van services in USD at their official desks before leaving customs and outside of customs in the terminal. Those rates are fixed depending on what part of town you are going to.
They all take US$ and credit cards.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

My bank just informed me that they charge $5 plus 3% for any ATM withdrawals outside the U.S.

Is there a bank branch at SCL where I can exchange U.S. currency or traveler's checks for pesos?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I was in Santiago for a couple weeks last month and used my Credit Union ATM card at Banco Estado ATM's with no fee. In keeping with the "no-fee" theme, I also used my two British Airways Chase Visa credit cards for credit card purchases at restaurants... No fees for foreign use.

Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:53 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Still the same two: Banco Estado (Cirrus only) and Banco Security unless you bank in Canada with Scotia or in the US with Bank of America and use Scotia or Banco de Desarrollo ATMs in Chile.

No Banco Estado at SCL AFAIK.
Do you mean Banco Estado ATMs or also branches? I want to change dollars at SCL and I'm looking for the best option. At EZE (B. Aires) it's better to change at Banco Nacion than at exchange houses. What's the best option in SCL? I mean no ATMs but tellers.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta - Plat
Not sure about a bank in the airport. But there is a currency desk right after you walk through the duty free store after immigration and before you pick up your baggage.

Regarding ATM fees I get them refunded with my E-trade card. Still pay a small forex fee i think though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.