Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt Germany Trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Sixt Germany Trouble

I hired a BMW 4 series with SIXT in Germany for a weekend back in August. The vehicle was returned without any damage.

In december I recieved a bill of 1000 euros for damage caused to the wheel. That's more than 3 months after the end of the rental.

I have told them that the damage was not caused by me and also that if the damage was indeed caused by me then why has it taken them over 3 months to send me this bill. The repair estimate data is of december too.
However, I keep getting the same response from SIXT that "we check damage on a vehicle after each rental and the damage was spotted after your rental". Nothing to tell me why its coming to me after 3 months.

The damage repair estimate is also nearly the same amount as my damage excess.

I was just wondering if any of you had any advice as to how I should proceed with this. I have already tried contacting the customer service department but had no reply.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Regards
Anees
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:22 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi Anees,

I am sorry to hear of the inconvenience!

Please send me the Reservation no. in a PM & I will certainly take a look into this for you & assist where I can ^

Best regards,
Emily
Customer Service Agent UK
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I got something similar as well.

We are checking our cars after every return according to an station wide homogeneous quality standard. By doing so we have noticed a new damage after your return.

You have confirmed the condition of the rental car described on the rental agreement before take over. If you notice a new damage you have the obligation to inform us before take over according to our contractual agreement. We have checked our papers once again and can unfortunately find no evidence for such an information.
They insist the following:
  1. The is new damage.
  2. If it was pre-existing, I should have reported it when I picked the vehicle, therefore this must be new damage.

As you can see from the damage photos (2nd and 3rd photo) they submitted, the damage is on the rim facing the interior of the car, not the exterior facing side.

Sixt is implying that prior to every rental, it is the renters' responsibility to jack the vehicle up, remove each wheel from the axle, examine for possible damage, reinstall the tires and lower the vehicle, before driving off with the vehicle.

Sixt is also implying that as part of their "station wide homogeneous quality standard," after every rental, they too, jack the vehicle up, remove each wheels from the axle and examine for possible damage but yet can't manage to provide a car without dead bugs sticking to the bumper during the summer.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 15, 2016 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska
I've read these stories about Hertz Germany, but I was hoping they didn't apply to Sixt.

I need to rent a car, but frankly I'm scared. It sounds like this practice is rampant, and it's just the luck of the draw whether or not you're subjected to it.

Good luck fighting this; I hope you prevail, and without too much more trouble.

@Anees Khan, have you had a resolution?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:06 am

Hi Seawolf,

Please can ypu send me your reservation number. I'll be happy to take a look. Thanks, Gary
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by SacCalFlyer
I've read these stories about Hertz Germany, but I was hoping they didn't apply to Sixt.

I need to rent a car, but frankly I'm scared. It sounds like this practice is rampant, and it's just the luck of the draw whether or not you're subjected to it.

Good luck fighting this; I hope you prevail, and without too much more trouble.

@Anees Khan, have you had a resolution?
We only contact the customer who we think rersponsible for the damage and of course we listen to the customer's explanation to if there is a difference of opinion.

Best regards,
Gary
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by SixtCustomerServices
Hi Seawolf,

Please can ypu send me your reservation number. I'll be happy to take a look. Thanks, Gary
An update that Sixt decided to drop their claim after I pointed out that it would have been impossible for me to identify and report this as pre-existing damage at pickup.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
An update that Sixt decided to drop their claim after I pointed out that it would have been impossible for me to identify and report this as pre-existing damage at pickup.

Thanks.
Glad to see yours worked out so easily. My damage is very similar.
@SacCalFlyer I am still working on it... It should be sorted soon. I have hired from sixt before and always got a full damage waiver and never had any trouble. This time I didn't get the full damage waiver and got a bill upto the value of the excess (excess- 1050 euros, bill- 1041 euros). So my advice is to always get a full waiver.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska
Originally Posted by Anees Khan
So my advice is to always get a full waiver.
I hope you get yours sorted very soon.

Your advice is sound, however I have no wish to pay that much money for a long rental. I'm going to use my credit card's insurance and let them deal with it if there's an issue I can't easily resolve myself. I hope.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SacCalFlyer
Your advice is sound, however I have no wish to pay that much money for a long rental. I'm going to use my credit card's insurance and let them deal with it if there's an issue I can't easily resolve myself. I hope.
Credit card insurance have limits on how long of a rental they will cover for.

My rental was covered by my credit card but I wasn't going file a claim on the rim damage as I know I didn't damage it.

Interestingly enough, on this very same rental, there was damage which I was responsible for as it occur when vehicle was in my possession (someone broke a front panel under the headlights when parked overnight at Hyatt Koln). Filed police and Sixt damage report the morning after. After four weeks I emailed Sixt asking them to send me a demand letter so I can file with my credit card to which they replied they considered the matter closed.

So for the damage I was responsible for they decided not to pursue and for the damage I was not responsible for, they made a claim for. Go figure.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:34 am

Sixt Germany problem

Hi, everyone who had a bad experience with car rentals from Sixt. Unfortunately, I am one of them.

I rented a van in Feb 1, 2016 for less then 24 hours.
I collected the van from the Dessau-Rosslau, Germany office. First of all, the woman at the counter spoke no English, and my german is extremely basic. We spoke briefly and I proceeded to collect the van. The van was parked in the basement of the office complex. When I did the initial check, the van was in perfect condition. However, as I was driving out, I realised the ceiling was too low, but it was too late, as it was the only way to drive the van out.

When I returned the van, the woman said nothing as I tried to tell her that the ceiling in the basement was too low and they shouldnt have parked the van there in the first place. Whether she understood me or not, I don't know, but she just took the keys back from me and wished me goodbye.

I then received a letter while I was away in Malaysia, about a 'schaden' and that they found 10cm scratches on the top of the van (as I warned them in the very beginning).

I wrote a complaint while filling the customer survey, and heard nothing back.
I replied the 'schaden' explaining the situation and also heard heard nothing back.

Now I have received a claims for over 800 Euros for these scratches! They are requesting me to make a transfer to their account.

I am now back in Germany again, and could try to go to the office, but nobody speaks English there which would defeat the purpose. Hoping to get some advise here.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:28 am

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent rental.

I have now responded to your private message, please respond with the requested details so that I can arrange contact from the commercial claims department in Germany.

I will of course assist you along the way in any way that I can.

Best regards
Pete

Originally Posted by charlottecqy
Hi, everyone who had a bad experience with car rentals from Sixt. Unfortunately, I am one of them.

I rented a van in Feb 1, 2016 for less then 24 hours.
I collected the van from the Dessau-Rosslau, Germany office. First of all, the woman at the counter spoke no English, and my german is extremely basic. We spoke briefly and I proceeded to collect the van. The van was parked in the basement of the office complex. When I did the initial check, the van was in perfect condition. However, as I was driving out, I realised the ceiling was too low, but it was too late, as it was the only way to drive the van out.

When I returned the van, the woman said nothing as I tried to tell her that the ceiling in the basement was too low and they shouldnt have parked the van there in the first place. Whether she understood me or not, I don't know, but she just took the keys back from me and wished me goodbye.

I then received a letter while I was away in Malaysia, about a 'schaden' and that they found 10cm scratches on the top of the van (as I warned them in the very beginning).

I wrote a complaint while filling the customer survey, and heard nothing back.
I replied the 'schaden' explaining the situation and also heard heard nothing back.

Now I have received a claims for over 800 Euros for these scratches! They are requesting me to make a transfer to their account.

I am now back in Germany again, and could try to go to the office, but nobody speaks English there which would defeat the purpose. Hoping to get some advise here.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have had an experience similar to this 18 months ago in Duesseldorf. Rented the car for a week, returning it to the small station on the outskirts of town. Took videos and photos of vehicle, odometer, fuel reading etc.

Then got an email saying I owed them the best part of EUR1000. It wasn't until I really chased them down requesting photos of the vehicle that I noticed they were trying to charge me for damage to a BMW.

We had C class
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:20 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I come back and check this forum every now and then, and it appears to be a rampant issue, you company reps need to investigate this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.