Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

New fees: "Counter Processing Recovery" and "Vehicle Upkeep Recovery"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver

That's it. They have gone overboard crazy with bogus fees.

In the US, Sixt is now charging a "Counter Processing Recovery Fee" and a "Vehicle Upkeep Recovery Fee" on any rental. And these fees are not cheap, in the $12-$15 range each, it seems (varies by location). Plus taxes, of course.

These are fees that totally go into Sixt's pocket. Not an airport fee, not a concession fee (those are charge separately, when applicable). These new fees apply also at local Sixt standalone offices not tied to any airport or hotel.

Couldn't they be a bit more honest and just increase the rental rates?

I'm not renting from Sixt in the US until this dishonest practice stops. [Or so I say. Unfortunately what is most likely to happen is that Hertz and Avis and others will admire Sixt for their brilliant move and institute similar fees.]
Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I'm not renting from Sixt in the US until this dishonest practice stops. [Or so I say. Unfortunately what is most likely to happen is that Hertz and Avis and others will admire Sixt for their brilliant move and institute similar fees.]
I somehow think Sixt got the idea from airbnb with the housekeeping fee (not always but sometimes). Wait until they charge a %age booking fee like airbnb does.....
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:10 am

I doubt the other companies will implement something similar. Sixt used to offer a value proposition of better cars for less money. While the base rates might remain competitive, with these new taxable fees, the competition is now close or cheaper, and offers a rewards system. If competitors effectively raised prices proportionally with copycat fees, Sixt becomes 25% or more cheaper again.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I doubt the other companies will implement something similar. Sixt used to offer a value proposition of better cars for less money. While the base rates might remain competitive, with these new taxable fees, the competition is now close or cheaper, and offers a rewards system. If competitors effectively raised prices proportionally with copycat fees, Sixt becomes 25% or more cheaper again.
The other companies unfortunately do have copycat fees... see a 17% "tire mtce fee" out of houston thread for Avis. One company I seem to recall at an "11% fee" and that was all it was - just an 11% on top of the amount. Just the reality of the business and a halfway bait and switch in the booking process, but they can't spring this one on you after the fact -- assuming the Sixt website is working correctly, which it is often not.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Ha ha , a google search for "Counter Processing Recovery" brought me here.

I thought I was seeing things.

Here are the fees for a sample 1 day booking:

Payment Options

Car Rate: US$ 20.57

Counter Processing Recovery US$ 5.45
Courtesy Shuttle Recovery US$ 10.90
Rental surcharge US$ 2.00
Vehicle License Fee US$ 1.03
Vehicle Upkeep Recovery US$ 13.08
Concession Recovery Fee US$ 1.85

Taxes: US$ 3.29

Total: $58.17

Hey, Sixt, have a little taste of the "Kiss my a$$" fee! ha ha

Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:27 am

I think Sixt do it to decrease comissionable amounts, consequently, to forward less comission to their partners. If you look, their prices are competitives.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:58 pm

For a company that is frequently offsite, and doesn't offer free days of any kind, competitive is uncompetitive. They need to offer better cars than average for less money.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Here is a perfect example of why Sixt will lose this game with any educated traveler. Atlanta Buckhead. There are a Sixt, a Hertz and an Enterprise within easy walking distance of each other, all standalone locations, not at a hotel or anything else. I simulated a reservation for one day, pick up tomorrow at 10am, economy car, no discount codes whatsoever.

Sixt:
Base rate 16.75
Vehicle License Fee Recovery 0.95
Counter Processing Recovery 14.00
Vehicle Upkeep Recovery 12.00
Taxes 4.28
TOTAL $47.98

Hertz:
Base rate 27.00
Vehicle Licensing Fee Recovery 1.50
Energy Surcharge 1.49
Taxes 3.00
TOTAL $32.99

Enterprise:
Base rate 25.00
Vehicle Licensing Fee Recovery 1.99
Excise tax 0.81
Sales tax 1.89
TOTAL $29.69

Sixt promotes a much lower base rate, but ends up being a lot more expensive than the others because of the scam fees.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by fernandozago
I think Sixt do it to decrease comissionable amounts, consequently, to forward less comission to their partners. If you look, their prices are competitives.
Makes a whole lot of sense.
Having to pay 20% to OTA, its a smart idea IF the total rate comes out cheaper then the competitor
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
A rental this past weekend made me question these fees. We had to wait for half an hour (flight was early) until our reservation time before we could leave the ATL station with a car. There were plenty of cars, we just had to wait until our reservation time started at 11:30a before they'd give us the keys. I complained because there was NO customer service despite having to pay for it via the counter processing fee.

The same rental (we finally left with a different car than the one we requested) was infested with ants and the interior glass was covered in greasy fingerprints. I complained on this one because why should I pay for a cleaning fee if the car isn't being cleaned.

The response was... the costs go to cover our overhead. No, upkeep sounds like cleaning. The costs cover the vehicle registration & license. No, that's the licensing fee. The costs go to cover what mastercard or visa charge us. No, that's illegal to directly pass that cost back to me the customer.

I'm done with Sixt in the US. There is NO concept of customer service, nor is anyone willing or able to provide it, at least at the ATL station.

Also- they charged me for a 3rd car seat when I reserved 2. It took talking to 3 people and 2 phone calls for someone to actually get that cost reversed. I'd rather rent a shopping cart and push that to my destination.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Is the fee dependent upon location?
Just booked a reservation but don't see this fee so I guess I'm lucky.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:06 am

It had been showing for most if not all locations. Maybe it depends on how badly Sixt actually wants US customers. Judging by their rapid expansion and then almost equally rapid decline, I don't think they seriously do.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
A rental this past weekend made me question these fees. We had to wait for half an hour (flight was early) until our reservation time before we could leave the ATL station with a car. There were plenty of cars, we just had to wait until our reservation time started at 11:30a before they'd give us the keys. I complained because there was NO customer service despite having to pay for it via the counter processing fee.

The same rental (we finally left with a different car than the one we requested) was infested with ants and the interior glass was covered in greasy fingerprints. I complained on this one because why should I pay for a cleaning fee if the car isn't being cleaned.

The response was... the costs go to cover our overhead. No, upkeep sounds like cleaning. The costs cover the vehicle registration & license. No, that's the licensing fee. The costs go to cover what mastercard or visa charge us. No, that's illegal to directly pass that cost back to me the customer.

I'm done with Sixt in the US. There is NO concept of customer service, nor is anyone willing or able to provide it, at least at the ATL station.

Also- they charged me for a 3rd car seat when I reserved 2. It took talking to 3 people and 2 phone calls for someone to actually get that cost reversed. I'd rather rent a shopping cart and push that to my destination.
I guess you booked them because they are cheap in total price, I think you know the saying "you pay what you get" \

I wouldn't complain because of the fees, you are supposed to get a clean no matter what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.