Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Originally Posted by yuel
I am in the same situation, staying one night in SIN on Apr 10, and been looking for anything of possible discount.
Our stay is not until June 15 and 16 - SQ occasionally had some promos in past but seems there r/ship with MBS non existent now.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Zach1213
I recently stayed at Quincy Hotel for about US$200 per night. Just off Orchard, free breakfast, free drinks and snacks in evening. Very nice hotel.
I truly loved this hotel when I was still commuting to SIN. The people were fantastic, the hotel is nice, and the amenities are fantastic.

I can't say enough good about this place.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by manneca
Marriott generally more expensive than Hilton or Conrad. No one's mentioned the HIlton on Orchard. It can be pricey or it can be (relatively) cheap.

I love the Conrad. I like where it's located. You can walk to Marina Bay Sands. There's lots going on between the Conrad and the Fullerton along the Bay.
Hiltons and Marriotts tend to be insanely overpriced throughout Asia (like 2x what they should be for the quality- the shangri la in SG is often cheaper than the marriott). They are nice, but my instinct is that they cater to first timers and business people who are a bit nervous about the slightly different than home world around them (obviously silly in Singapore, but many don't know that if they've never been before).

I stayed at the Hilton many years ago for my first trip to SG. Never again, as there are so many better options.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
My questions is related but which would be the nest online booking agent, Agoda, Asiatravel, Asiarooms or Latestays? I am planning for June 7-11. The hotel I need must have a real gym, not just a couple of bikes, I need free weights, don't care for a pool. But also do not want to be in the boonies, like Jurong or Bukit Timah or Zhonjan.

Can anyone help?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by LuisHK
I don't think single Asian female will have any security issues in Singapore.
Just avoid Hotel 81 and Fragrance Chains
Definitely good advice.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
My questions is related but which would be the nest online booking agent, Agoda, Asiatravel, Asiarooms or Latestays? I am planning for June 7-11. The hotel I need must have a real gym, not just a couple of bikes, I need free weights, don't care for a pool. But also do not want to be in the boonies, like Jurong or Bukit Timah or Zhonjan.

Can anyone help?
The Intercontinental gym isn't bad. The equipment is not the most modern but if its weights you want its ok. There is a bench press, a smith machine, a few cable machines, a leg press and dumbbells up to 70lbs.

If you want power racks, heavy dumbbells or platforms i think you'll struggle. Most commercial gyms don't have those let alone hotel gyms.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phol
The Intercontinental gym isn't bad. The equipment is not the most modern but if its weights you want its ok. There is a bench press, a smith machine, a few cable machines, a leg press and dumbbells up to 70lbs.

If you want power racks, heavy dumbbells or platforms i think you'll struggle. Most commercial gyms don't have those let alone hotel gyms.
I've stayed at this property twice but on shorter 3 & 4 day stays. I don't feel like staying here for a 6 day stay as it will be costly.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I've stayed at this property twice but on shorter 3 & 4 day stays. I don't feel like staying here for a 6 day stay as it will be costly.
I doubt you're going to find a cheap hotel with a fully featured gym. Even most expensive hotels are just full of machines, albeit shinier ones.

If i were you i would find a cheap hotel and spend the $10-20 a day it will cost to go to a commercial gym, or try and get a free pass.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by phol
I doubt you're going to find a cheap hotel with a fully featured gym. Even most expensive hotels are just full of machines, albeit shinier ones.

If i were you i would find a cheap hotel and spend the $10-20 a day it will cost to go to a commercial gym, or try and get a free pass.
I would do this as well. Many gyms in Singapore allow buying a monthly pass (something which most gyms in Europe don't.. it's a bit different) or even single entries so you could probably better go with this solution if a decent staffed gym is better. PM me for more information if interested.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I would do this as well. Many gyms in Singapore allow buying a monthly pass (something which most gyms in Europe don't.. it's a bit different) or even single entries so you could probably better go with this solution if a decent staffed gym is better. PM me for more information if interested.
Single entry prices for commercial gyms are often silly, >S$40/entry is typical. The public ActiveSG (ex-ClubFITT) gyms, though, are super-cheap (S$2.50/entry). Facilities tend to be pretty functional, but a lot more full-featured than the average hotel gym, with free weights etc. The Delta (Tiong Bahru) and Toa Payoh gyms are the closest to the CBD.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Marina Bay Sands is obviously your best bet if you can get a good price. However I think the Marina Mandarin is sometimes looked over and is an excellent choice.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Marina Bay Sands is obviously your best bet if you can get a good price. However I think the Marina Mandarin is sometimes looked over and is an excellent choice.
Calling the MBS the "best bet" couldn't be more far from the truth, imho.

It's not the most luxury hotel, nor the best service, nor the best rooms etc. etc. - it's ONLY selling point is the view in the pool. Which can be had, together with an overpriced drink, from the bar next door, too.

It's location is still very much developing (the shopping mall, while ok for a visit, is certainly not what would make me liking Singapore) - going anywhere interesting will need a MRT/cab. It's not central, it's not in the CBD, it's not really near bars. Nope, absolutely not.

I guess for the sheer experience of the pool, once could say, hell, why not, lets book it for a night. But when staying in Singapore and deliberately choosing this hotel over one of the many better alternatives, one really does miss something.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:01 pm

I just came from from 7 nights at Hilton Singapore!
I liked it because it is very close to the ION orchard mall. The mall has the Orchard train station. Made a big mistake eating at the Thai restaurant in mall. Hardly any service and yet charged $10 in tax and service charge for $30 meal. Told us it would be 50 cent if i need a cup of water. I found a food court in the mall. You can eat all kinds of food for around $8 and NO service charge. We ate at the food court several times and it saved us lotta cash. I got room on 17th floor with no city view. All i saw was tree and the back side of the four season and its pool. I got no lounge or executive fl access. The next day I called and asked them if I was treated as a gold member, told me your selected room on 16th is king, what you got on 17th is king plus and it has coffee making machine. Told them I have always found coffee machine in all types of hotel room even without any status. Told them I don't think of that as an upgrade. Told us they don't have any other room with city view or to change to and gave me lounge access. Had to go down to front desk to get the key done to get to the 23rd FL executive lounge. I went there for 2 times in evening. I really loved singapore , specially the MTR. IT is always very packed though

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 am

Oh, someone not familiar with ++

If you liked the food (and prices) from a food court, you should definitely have went for some Hawker center visits.. not only often better food than in some Food courts (can be discussed..) but roughly 40% cheaper, too..
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:42 am
uk1
Suspended

I must admit ... when I saw S$8 mentioned my heart missed a beat.

Was this a special occasion?!! Do people really spend all that cash!!!

With respect to hotels and people asking for recommendations about "what is the best hotel", the real issue is no one can really say which is the best and which is the worst because no one has stayed in them all. You can only hear about people's favourites and good experiences and bad experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.