Which hotel in Singapore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: MP, BR
Casually visiting this thread as I'm planning my next SIN trip and was surprised to see all the good reviews for the Fullerton. Things must've changed over the past couple of years since my last stay...it was my worst experience at a premium hotel. Had a Courtyard room and they were setting up for events throughout the night - noises of moving furniture was heard all night long. Also woke up several times in cold sweats....obviously I don't have any evidence but the room I had just didn't feel right. Had to sleep with all lights on the next day and it's the first time I've encountered such experience in any hotels.

Been staying at Intercon since (I travel on my own dime, can't afford anything more luxurious and I don't prefer hotels around Orchard Road).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chromie25
Casually visiting this thread as I'm planning my next SIN trip and was surprised to see all the good reviews for the Fullerton. Things must've changed over the past couple of years since my last stay...it was my worst experience at a premium hotel. Had a Courtyard room and they were setting up for events throughout the night - noises of moving furniture was heard all night long. Also woke up several times in cold sweats....obviously I don't have any evidence but the room I had just didn't feel right. Had to sleep with all lights on the next day and it's the first time I've encountered such experience in any hotels.

Been staying at Intercon since (I travel on my own dime, can't afford anything more luxurious and I don't prefer hotels around Orchard Road).
The new InterCon at Robertson Quay is supposed to open 1st Oct. Maybe a change of scenery for you this trip? The location, imo sucks though.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by SQ319
The new InterCon at Robertson Quay is supposed to open 1st Oct. Maybe a change of scenery for you this trip? The location, imo sucks though.

I'm travelling within 2 weeks but will definitely keep this in mind next time. I do prefer something near MRT though.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Casually visiting this thread as I'm planning my next SIN trip and was surprised to see all the good reviews for the Fullerton. Things must've changed over the past couple of years since my last stay...it was my worst experience at a premium hotel. Had a Courtyard room ....
Things haven't changed, the courtyard rooms are still dire (considering the high price). I'd estimate that 70% of the rooms at Fullerton are poor, but there are 10% SPECATACULAR rooms and 20% good ones. If you want 100% great rooms, you have to go to Fullerton Bay (that's why they built it, but also costs twice as much). So reviews of the Fullerton are meaningless without knowing which of their 20 different room types were reviewed

I've switched to Fairmont/Swissotel as I often check in late and Fullerton would have given away my reserved room type and palmed off a much worse room -- and then manager apoligized profuesly the next day. Tired of those shenanigans, hence the Fairmont/Swossotel Stamford by Raffles, great location on 2 MRT stations. The newly renovated rooms at Swissotel are great (all the higher floors, anything over 20 for sure).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:36 am

Pan Pacific any time. Good facility. Best services and staff was good too. Sorry don't have other hotel experience so please don't make final decision be reading this only.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Hi all, trying to find a hotel in the Chinatown area, but it has to be nice.
I've found so far, Scarlet Hotel, Amoy Hotel and Hotel Mono. Any other recommendations/
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by akshay18
Pan Pacific any time. Good facility. Best services and staff was good too. Sorry don't have other hotel experience so please don't make final decision be reading this only.
They offer free upgrades if you book through their site. Do you know what these upgrades are exactly?

There are pictures of the Deluxe Balcony room on booking.com and the balcony seems to look over the Marina.

But maybe there are Deluxe Balcony rooms on the other side of the building which faces away from the Marina as well.

They don't seem to offer Marina views as a room type and I've heard that even on the Marina side, you'd want a room on the higher floors. But I think those may be Club rooms of some kind so you have to join their program.

I just want a good balcony view over the Marina to take some long exposure photos but it's not clear what you'd have to book.

Actually the rates are better on booking.com, especially on some advanced payment rates.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: most of them
Maybe depends on how expansive your "Chinatown area" is and your budget.

I stayed at the Parkroyal on Pickering shortly after it opened. The front desk was a bit of a mess but I presume those issues have been ironed out over time. I had a "club" room which I think was just a regular room with club benefits. Room was a decent size. But it's all outside corridors which in my experience can be a problem in the tropics. The location is very good though.

I considered the Carlton City hotel in Tanjong Pagar which is nearish to Chinatown for my upcoming trip.

But decided on Little India instead and will be at the Park Hotel Farrer Park. It's quite new, reasonable rates, right on top of the Farrer Park mrt station, and they gave me a good deal on an ultra-late check out.
oh_lol likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
If Tanjong Pagar is considered "within range" of Chinatown - we stayed at Oasia Downtown last year and LOVED it. We were there 6 nights. Great for walking (easy walk to Maxwell hawker center and attractions in that area), for food nearby, and subway access. The hotel is relatively new - opened March or April 2016 I think? Our taxi driver took us to the older Oasia first (1am, we were exhausted from hours of flying and it was our first trip to Singapore....Figured it out and he found the right place soon enough....)
oh_lol and glennaa11 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA
Interesting to read the Fullerton comments, I was considering a stay here in Feb. I stayed in the F Bay last year and found it to be good but spent a little time in the Fullerton during the stay (never checked the rooms).

If the rooms are that bad I'll have to rethink.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA
Considering a stay at Parkroyal Pickering, SO Sofitel or Westin. Any thoughts? Weekend stay for 2 nights.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
As a first-time visiting Singapore next year, does anyone have a strong preference for hotel? Mine is to not to go overboard but to be somewhere nice. I should be a Platinum in the Fairmont President's Club next year, so I would also like to know if that is a nice hotel worth the consideration...my experiences are that they look old on the outside but can either be nicely renovated on the inside or just plain old dumpy (Boston being the prime example of this).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by heronb
Considering a stay at Parkroyal Pickering, SO Sofitel or Westin. Any thoughts? Weekend stay for 2 nights.
Westin and SO are within the business district. It would be quite dead over the weekends. SO is better located within the CBD than the Westin for access to the MRT. However, Westin has better views than the SO which is in a low rise heritage building.

Parkroyal Pickering is very close to Chinatown. Service level however may not be as good as the Westin or SO.

What are your priorities for your trip? Do you have any status? This will definitely influence your choice of hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
As a first-time visiting Singapore next year, does anyone have a strong preference for hotel? Mine is to not to go overboard but to be somewhere nice. I should be a Platinum in the Fairmont President's Club next year, so I would also like to know if that is a nice hotel worth the consideration...my experiences are that they look old on the outside but can either be nicely renovated on the inside or just plain old dumpy (Boston being the prime example of this).
Fairmont was just renovated a few years back. I haven't stayed there post-renovation, but even pre-renovation, I thought the hotel was pretty well maintained. Only thing I didn't like was the small 3-fixture bathrooms with showers over the bathtub.

http://www.fairmont.com/press-room/a...red-redefined/

The adjacent Swissotel is also currently undergoing renovation with some floors closed and the Raffles across the road is also closed for renovations.

The Fairmont/Swissotel is right above the City Hall MRT station and is probably one of the best locations for a first-timer to Singapore.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by SQ319
Fairmont was just renovated a few years back. I haven't stayed there post-renovation, but even pre-renovation, I thought the hotel was pretty well maintained. Only thing I didn't like was the small 3-fixture bathrooms with showers over the bathtub.

http://www.fairmont.com/press-room/a...red-redefined/

The adjacent Swissotel is also currently undergoing renovation with some floors closed and the Raffles across the road is also closed for renovations.

The Fairmont/Swissotel is right above the City Hall MRT station and is probably one of the best locations for a first-timer to Singapore.
+1 for the Fairmont/Swissotel recommendation. I've stayed at both and thought they were great. Very convenient to City Hall MRT and the huge shopping mall attached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.