FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Which hotel in Singapore? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1571582-hotel-singapore.html)

mcbg1 Apr 24, 2014 6:06 am

Which hotel in Singapore?

I will be spending 3 nights in Singapore in September. My last night will be at the Marina Bay Sands to try their pool but I'd like to stay somewhere else for the first 2 nights. I've got the Pan Pacific and the Marina Mandarin in mind because I really like the location. Which one is better? I've stayed at the Fairmont before so I'm open to other hotel suggestions.

SQ319 Apr 24, 2014 6:59 am

If only given a choice between Marina Mandarin and Pan Pacific, I'll definitely go with Pan Pac. They juz renovated less than 2 years ago so furnishings are still quite new and nice. However in the marina area my choice would be the MO for the stellar service...

OnTheCentreline Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Def PanPac over Marina Mandarin.

trustno1 Apr 27, 2014 4:12 pm

I would definitely choose the Pan Pacific over Marina Mandarin, but you might also consider the Swisshotel Stamford. Have stayed in all three and I just like the service at the Stamford.

Batwoman Apr 28, 2014 4:55 am

Pan Pac, best service, free Wifi everywhere, great bar and one of the best indian restaurants on the 3rd floor...

mcbg1 Apr 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks, Pan Pacific it is :) How is the pool-gym there? Do they have a good sauna and steam room also?

SQ319 Apr 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1 (Post 22775824)
Thanks, Pan Pacific it is :) How is the pool-gym there? Do they have a good sauna and steam room also?

Gym is large and well equipped. Pool is old style, nice, but not the kind to do laps in...

gailwynand Apr 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Pan Pacific is indeed nice but the area around the hotel is a bit boring. Also Suntec City is under renovation so there's a bit of a maze of construction barriers at the moment. May be noise as well.

I'll put in my standard recommendation for Parkroyal on Pickering..also close to MBS but with easier access to Chinatown, Boat Quay, etc.

sl00001 May 3, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by gailwynand (Post 22777587)

I'll put in my standard recommendation for Parkroyal on Pickering..also close to MBS but with easier access to Chinatown, Boat Quay, etc.

Park Royal on Pickering is nice indeed - however the pool is always in the shade and the water damn cold. Go for the Orchid Club Rooms - the lounge is very nice with good spread of food and drinks. The service from the ladies is exceptional! The gym is decent.

MSPeconomist May 3, 2014 5:43 pm

There are lots of interesting possibilities in various price ranges. I would agree with the advice to avoid the SunTec City ares.

Do you want to be able to change hotels by walking? If not, I'd want to do two completely different locations and different styles of hotel. Perhaps a boutique hotel or something historic to counter the style of MBS?

Are you especially looking for an interesting or unique pool? A pool party scene?

aster May 4, 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by trustno1 (Post 22770588)
I would definitely choose the Pan Pacific over Marina Mandarin, but you might also consider the Swisshotel Stamford. Have stayed in all three and I just like the service at the Stamford.

If you have access to the lounge then the Pan Pacific would be sweet. You see that strange structure on top of the building? That used to be a restaurant. It's now been converted into a lounge. :)

I too would choose the Swissotel The Stamford due to its location, and the hotel is very good overall. Just make sure you go for a "Grand Room" which is basically a corner room that is HUGE - it's almost feels like you're in a mini-suite. Great bar at the top of the hotel too, with the best views in town (higher than the MBS). You have a shopping mall downstairs, two MRT lines at the station below (and one more line literally 30 yards from the building), and lots of places to go to in the vicinity both during the day and at night.

mcbg1 May 4, 2014 11:21 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 22808145)
If you have access to the lounge then the Pan Pacific would be sweet. You see that strange structure on top of the building? That used to be a restaurant. It's now been converted into a lounge. :)

I too would choose the Swissotel The Stamford due to its location, and the hotel is very good overall. Just make sure you go for a "Grand Room" which is basically a corner room that is HUGE - it's almost feels like you're in a mini-suite. Great bar at the top of the hotel too, with the best views in town (higher than the MBS). You have a shopping mall downstairs, two MRT lines at the station below (and one more line literally 30 yards from the building), and lots of places to go to in the vicinity both during the day and at night.

I've added the Swissotel to my list of options. I stayed at the Fairmont next to it and loved the location and the easy access to the mall and MRT under it. The pool was nice too. I don't plan on booking a room anywhere with club access because I want to eat my ... off at the many food courts in Singapore lol. No place in my belly for lounge food.

flying_bubba May 4, 2014 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 22808145)

I too would recommend The Stamford. I've stayed there many times. The location and the service is excellent, especially for the price. ^^

AirCanada881 Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am

How do you guys afford these expensive hotels? Is there something I'm missing here? :-D

tentseller Jun 18, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 23054248)
How do you guys afford these expensive hotels? Is there something I'm missing here? :-D

Easy, have someone else pay for it! :D