Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Changi to City Center

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:28 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is there Uber, Lyft, or other similar services in Singapore?

I arrive there at 11:55pm, and imagine I will be ready to leave around 1am (getting off plane, immigration, no checked bags, ATM, etc.)

Do you think there would be a long line for a taxi at that hour, on a Friday night in January?

My destination is the Conrad.
Taxis are very well organised and you will not wait for more than a moment or two to be pointed to your taxi. We have always got from plane to hotel lounge even at busy times in an hour or so. Pre booking is entirely unnecessary.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Koby
If I arrive at 11:55pm, I expect to be in the Conrad by 1am (by taxi) - not at the taxi line.
Originally Posted by uk1
Taxis are very well organised and you will not wait for more than a moment or two to be pointed to your taxi. We have always got from plane to hotel lounge even at busy times in an hour or so. Pre booking is entirely unnecessary.
Thanks for the replies! Guess I was being a bit pessimistic with my times. I flew to Seoul (ICN) in October, and that airport is such a distance from the city, I was planning for similar at SIN.

Glad to hear things aren't as bad.

How would traffic be returning to SIN for an 8:20 AM flight on Monday morning? I do have US Gold status, which should give priority check-in for JA.
I'm thinking I should leave the Conrad around 5:30, but maybe I don't need to go so early.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:47 am

I'm thinking I should leave the Conrad around 5:30, but maybe I don't need to go so early.
You should be fine leaving at 6.30am.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Koby
You should be fine leaving at 6.30am.
Thanks!

On Google maps, it looks like it is only ~15 min between the Conrad and the airport. Does that sound accurate for a Monday morning?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:52 pm
Suspended

I would allow 30 to be safe.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:26 am

Is there Uber, Lyft, or other similar services in Singapore?
Yes, Uber operates in Singapore. No real reason to use them at the airport though, supply always exceeds demand.

Do you think there would be a long line for a taxi at that hour, on a Friday night in January?
As a rule of thumb, there are never long waits for taxis at Changi, it's a bad day if you spend 5 minutes in line. Even when the lines look long, they usually move very quickly because they board half a dozen taxis simultaneously.

Most terminals also have several taxi boarding points. Eg. in T2, if the "main" line right in front of the Customs exit looks long, head right towards the MRT entrance and you'll find another that's mildly less obvious and thus usually shorter.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:24 am

Thanks!

On Google maps, it looks like it is only ~15 min between the Conrad and the airport. Does that sound accurate for a Monday morning?
Should be okay +/- 5 minutes. You're heading in the opposite direction from most people (most people would be heading into the city), and with your early start at 6.30am, you'll be there sooner than you expect.

For your arrival from plane to hotel, I would expect you to not take longer than 45 minutes, if your luggage is tagged priority and there is no (or a very short) taxi queue.

Do note that you have to pay 50% surcharge for taxis after midnight, and an airport surcharge though...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by SQ319

Do note that you have to pay 50% surcharge for taxis after midnight, and an airport surcharge though...
Airport surcharge is S$5 iirc
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tide
Airport surcharge is S$5 iirc
$5 Weekend.

$3 all other times.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Some info regarding leaving Changi with last MRT train

Last MRT train departs Changi at 11:17PM. However this train will get you pretty much only on EWL (the green line) and you do not have too much options for chaining lines - by the time you reach interchange stations you can't make switch on other line.

Long story short - if you want to reach your intended destination via MRT and that destination is not on EWL make sure to board train from Changi no later than 10:45PM.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:58 am

Any idea on cost of taxi from Changi to Ngee Ann Polytechnic area (CLementi ave& Kismis). Will be arriving at 1 am flight weekday(2 people). Does anyone have experience with the ground transport 4-seater Vehicle (S$55 per trip to any destination in Singapore) available from Ground transport desk at Changi.
Thank you
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by airsupply
Any idea on cost of taxi from Changi to Ngee Ann Polytechnic area (CLementi ave& Kismis). Will be arriving at 1 am flight weekday(2 people). Does anyone have experience with the ground transport 4-seater Vehicle (S$55 per trip to any destination in Singapore) available from Ground transport desk at Changi.
Thank you
Should not cost you more than $40 via a regular taxi. Avoid the chrysler or Mercedes. I stay at Jurong, slightly further than Ngee Ann and my fare never went above $40. Coincidentally, I was a student from Ngee Ann.

No special reason to take the 4 seater $55.

But if you are a big group with many bags, the maxi cab makes sense if you have to get 2 taxis.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Just want to second the comments from tycosiao, his/her comments are right on target. My sense (because I don't live around the Ngee Ann Poly/Clementi area) is that $40 +/-$5 would be about right. I also agree there's no point in taking the van.

I'm assuming you're trying to economize so here's some clarifications. I suggest you take either a Comfort (royal blue) or CityCab (bright yellow) Hyundai Sonata, or a Silvercab Kia Magentis (silver). These vehicles are visually the same as the US versions, reckon they're the 2012 model or so. The reason for this suggestion is that the flagfall is $3.20, which is realistically the cheapest rate you can get. The recommendation to not take the Chrysler 300 is that the flagfall is $5.00 and the distance rate higher; I believe the Mercedes is now at $5.00 as well. Other taxi cab models will have flagfall rates between these amounts. When you're at the head of the taxi line (queue) you can tell the dispatcher you want the cheapest cab if you're being directed to a Chrysler or Mercedes. Second is to tell the driver you want him/her to take the P-I-E (abbreviation for the Pan-Island Expressway, don't pronounce it pie). Where you want to go is off this highway, other routes would pile up the miles for no good reason. Pay with Singapore cash (change money at Changi airport, the rates are better than changing in the US), credit card usage is surcharged. Finally ask for and take the receipt. This will keep the cabbie on his best behavior as each charge and the distance driven will be itemized on it. If there's a problem and you complain, the receipt will be your proof.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:41 pm

Thank you tycosiao and dsgtc0408 for very helpful information !
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by tycosiao
Should not cost you more than $40 via a regular taxi.
Depends on time. I live nearby Haw Par Villa which is closer and night departures from Changi regularly end up $34-$37 range. Take into account $5 surcharge for departure and 50% fare increase for night time.

I'd say that it might cost $45-$48, but definitely not $55.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.