Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ368 catches fire while making emergency landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ368 catches fire while making emergency landing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by jrmyl
As a captain at another carrier, I can tell you first hand that I would have evacuated as soon as I heard there was a fire. That is something that should never be messed around with. They were extremely lucky that no one was injured or killed. If you want any proof of how fast a fire can consume an airplane, look up the video of the China Airlines that caught on fire in Naha. It will scare you at how fast it can go bad. I personally am disgusted that they did not evacuate.
Which airlines are you flying? I better avoid that airline you are captaining, because it seems that you have very poor understanding in proper evacuation handling and procedures.

Anyway, thank god there's no casualties in this incident.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I am surprised they didn't evacuate. I wonder how long the cabin is expected to protect against an engine fire?
That said passengers on the runway may have hampered fire fighters, and I keep thinking of Asiana 214 at SFO where the fire truck ran over a passenger (who was probably already deceased).
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by invisible
Good luck suing any big company in Singapore jurisdiction. Especially for 'Emotional distress'. You will be found guilty and will end up paying millions.
Haha, yep sadly that's the case. Good luck trying to stand up for your rights against a government controlled company in Singapore. Consumer (or even human) rights are unfortunately at the bottom of the list of priorities.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by staff
Consumer (or even human) rights are unfortunately at the bottom of the list of priorities.
Especially those as speculative as emotional distress.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: QF WP
In a very simplified way, when it comes to making a decision to evacuation, the captain decides if the pax are safer inside or outside the aircraft. If the emergency services have already been notified and are on the way, I suspect inside would be the better option.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
With reference to an evacuation remember that using the slides will inevitably result in a percentage of the passengers getting some injuries. The Qantas QF32 pilot also had this decision to make and decided to keep his passengers in the aircraft too.

But I'm sure the authorities will be looking closely at that decision as to whether they should or shouldn't have been evacuated.

The other issue to note is what engine warnings were received by the crew, as there were alternative airports closer to where the flight was at the time of turn back. KLIA for example has the appropriate equipment for a emergency of this kind.

I'm aware that the fire started when the plane landed, but it'll be interesting to read the full report.

Interestingly this could be another HP compressor failure for GE as with BA 2276 in Las Vegas last year (the pilot did order an evac in that case!).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinoh
Tricky suituation here on whether to evacuate. Any fuel leak is dangerous and even though it is on one side of the plane it can quickly spread to the other side where passengers are evacuating. Given that the fire started after landing and emergency services were probably requested before landing it could have been a better decision by the SQ pilots not to cause panic by ordering an evacuation.
Indeed. Having a fire due to leaking flammables is very tricky. The entire evacuation would have to be through the left exits which could cause chaos and more injuries during the exit and the risk of fire spreading below the aircraft which they could not see. As the aircraft was on ground with fire services responding I think it was better to remain inside until the fire was under control.
Is there cabin crew stationed at the overwing exit on the 77W? You want to think twice before opening an exit in case of fire, and a panicked passenger might act too quick.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
Good luck suing any big company in Singapore jurisdiction. Especially for 'Emotional distress'. You will be found guilty and will end up paying millions.
Additionally, the Montreal Convention specifically precludes claims for purely psychological injury, i.e. psychological injury not caused/tied to any bodily injury sustained during an incident.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:01 am

Changi Airport Fire fighters doing their work

This video footage gives you a better idea of how fast (or how slow, depending on your perspective) the Changi Airport fire service responded.

Notice the video started as the plane was about to stop on the runway. The fire engines can be seen charging out. From the time the plane came to a stop, to the time the first fire engine started spraying foam to fight the fire from the front of the plane, it was 1 minute. Within seconds, more and more fire engine attacked the fire with foam, including another engine from the rear of the plane. In total, it took 2 minutes to get the fire under control.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
The other issue to note is what engine warnings were received by the crew, as there were alternative airports closer to where the flight was at the time of turn back. KLIA for example has the appropriate equipment for a emergency of this kind.
Based on the flight path available, they flew past HKT, PEN, and KUL. All of which are capable of handling emergencies. All of which have runways at least 3km in length. All of which have international customs facilities available, (although this one would be down at the bottom of the list of priorities).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
My question is - were doors on the opposite side of the fire already opened by the time fire crews arrived or not? What is the procedure on this matter? Recent case in LAS - when captain ordered evacuation - how fast the decision was made?

Last edited by invisible; Jun 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Basically looked at the same questions.

In this case the captain was right but only with hindsight as the fire was contained and no one got injured. An extremely good job and outcome from everyone involved.

That said, from my armchair view this could have easily turned into a disaster and when that would have happened the captain would have most certainly be blamed for losing precious minutes of evacuation time.

If I was a risk averse captain I would have risked a few broken bones versus the other option of fire spreading and people dying in flames or smoke.

I hope questions will be asked, I would like to understand the thought process even if it was for my own reassurance as a passenger.

Globalist
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by orionmiz
Which airlines are you flying? I better avoid that airline you are captaining, because it seems that you have very poor understanding in proper evacuation handling and procedures.

Anyway, thank god there's no casualties in this incident.
Thanks for providing a very elaborate explanation as to why you disagree. Oh.....hang on.....something's missing.......
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Globalist
If I was a risk averse captain I would have risked a few broken bones versus the other option of fire spreading and people dying in flames or smoke.
Remembering Aseana's crash at SFO - I have a feeling that similar mentality was leading to this decision...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:25 am

IMHO, the crew should be fired and SQ fined for not evacuating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.