Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ368 catches fire while making emergency landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...html?cid=FBcna
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:08 pm

That would have made for a few nervous passengers.

Good job to the crew for keeping everyone calm.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
Sounds like the plane caught fire AFTER making the emergency landing.

This link has some video of the wing on fire and some video from inside the plane http://www.canberratimes.com.au/busi...27-gpsl5n.html

I'm impressed with how calm the passengers were!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
That is quite a fire...be interesting to see in the eventual report how it so quickly consumed the tank (assuming it was a engine related start from lubrication problem).

Pleased the firemen put it out in short order and the evacuation was orderly without casualties.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
From what I've read, sounds like it may have been an oil leak... The plane initially turned back due to "an engine oil warning" and at least one passenger claims to have smelled petrol 2-3 hours into the flight. Looking at flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S.../WSSS/tracklog), it looks like the plane was flying a bit slower on the return to Singapore, so I wonder if the one engine was shutdown on the return?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:34 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Wow, that is really calm, for having your wing on fire... And it was not like a small fire -- it looked like threatening to turn into explosion-worthy entire-plane-threatening fire!

I wonder how the captain would decide to have passengers evacuate versus stay in such a situation.

And that 77W will be out of service for... months probably?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TA
Wow, that is really calm, for having your wing on fire... And it was not like a small fire -- it looked like threatening to turn into explosion-worthy entire-plane-threatening fire!

I wonder how the captain would decide to have passengers evacuate versus stay in such a situation.

And that 77W will be out of service for... months probably?
According to Flightradar, 9V-SWB is a 9 year old plane. Sounds kinda old to me for an SQ plane. Definitely needs a wing and engine change. Not sure whether they would want to put so much $ into a 9 year old plane?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by gummibar
According to Flightradar, 9V-SWB is a 9 year old plane. Sounds kinda old to me for an SQ plane. Definitely needs a wing and engine change. Not sure whether they would want to put so much $ into a 9 year old plane?
9 years old is not that old, and SQ would have zero say as to what happens with the plane regarding scrapping or repairs, they would be at the mercy of the insurance company.

I would say a repair would be in order.

The BA 777 which had the fuselage breached is being repaired.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: UAL 1k
As a captain at another carrier, I can tell you first hand that I would have evacuated as soon as I heard there was a fire. That is something that should never be messed around with. They were extremely lucky that no one was injured or killed. If you want any proof of how fast a fire can consume an airplane, look up the video of the China Airlines that caught on fire in Naha. It will scare you at how fast it can go bad. I personally am disgusted that they did not evacuate.
simp2017 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
So, can anyone explain to me why the plane was sitting on the runway on fire for FIVE minutes without evacuating? I'd be surprised if the pilots don't get sacked.

If I was a passenger on this plane I would sue SIA.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:37 am Reason: expletive deleted
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by BTR_CDN
From what I've read, sounds like it may have been an oil leak... The plane initially turned back due to "an engine oil warning" and at least one passenger claims to have smelled petrol 2-3 hours into the flight. Looking at flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S.../WSSS/tracklog), it looks like the plane was flying a bit slower on the return to Singapore, so I wonder if the one engine was shutdown on the return?
I smelt petrol in most of my flight. That's always make me nervous. Now I am getting more nervous.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by staff
So, can anyone explain to me why the plane was sitting on the runway on fire for FIVE minutes without evacuating? I'd be surprised if the pilots don't get sacked.

I'm not counsel so curious to know on what grounds would you sue?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:38 am Reason: edited quote
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iadp
I'm not counsel so curious to know on what grounds would you sue?
Emotional distress? It's a good catch all for any kind of unfounded and/or unprovable damages.

Back on topic, the pictures of the engine/wing after the fire was put out... jeez that plane isn't going anywhere soon.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by staff
Good luck suing any big company in Singapore jurisdiction. Especially for 'Emotional distress'. You will be found guilty and will end up paying millions.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:38 am Reason: edited quote
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:02 pm

Tricky suituation here on whether to evacuate. Any fuel leak is dangerous and even though it is on one side of the plane it can quickly spread to the other side where passengers are evacuating. Given that the fire started after landing and emergency services were probably requested before landing it could have been a better decision by the SQ pilots not to cause panic by ordering an evacuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.