Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Private Room - Service Sub Standard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was very surprised at the lack of service I received in the Private Room at Singapore. .
I know how you feel. On my first visit to the TPR I was confused what was so special about it and why I was basically abandoned. And it almost felt like the food on offer was less than the regular FC lounge.

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Can't understand the sarcastic responses - isn't this what FT is about - dissecting the services of airlines? I don't find it unreasonable to have expectations (people pay $10-20k to fly Suites, or use a lot of their hard-earned miles) or to critique what is supposed to be the "best first class experience in the world" - and the lounge is a large part of this product. TPR is great, but not perfect nor the best F lounge...
+1. I suspect many of the less than kind responses are from people who may not have experienced the TPR. It really is different from other international FC lounges and kind of throws you. You are not pampered and the service is not intended to be warm.

Originally Posted by demue
In my experience from a few visits. If you sit at the dining tables (indicating you want to eat) you will be approached by staff and they will go back and forth in intervals to top up your drinks and offer your more food.

Once you move to or settle in the TV / Lounge chair area they will not bother you much and you will have to call them over to get things. I can understand that an occasional check on a guest would not be too much of an effort, but at the same token I have also heard some people telling staff that they do not want to be disturbed and will come to them if they need something.

You may never get it right for everyone.
Spot on. And it took me several visits to figure this out. Perhaps I am too uncultured but I find the designated dining areas in most lounges, including SQ's, to be too sterile and prefer to eat seated more comfortably. And the dining areas never have adequate space for carry ons. TPR is not designed for travelers with this pov.

Originally Posted by zcat18
I chuckled aloud at some of the sarcastic responses, but I do understand the OP's perspective.

I visited the Private Room last week for the first time. My sense was that the philosophy of TPR isn't necessarily over-the-top service, but peace, quiet, and discretion, with service when it's desired by the patron. I think it's just a different model from some of the over-the-top service-oriented lounges and isn't necessarily trying to be that.

This is just my two cents, but I do understand how OP would be disappointed if she was expecting something like the LH FCL or FCT in FRA, or the TG lounge in BKK (none of which I've visited, by the way, so I'm just going by what I've seen on FT).
I guess celebrities or other well known people will like the quiet and seclusion of the TPR. But it is not like other premium FC lounges where people will come periodically and take away empties and ask if you would like anything else. Even the layout supports this secluded environment and you don't have to look at another guest unless you are walking through when entering or exiting. Or in the seated dining area.

I like a few glasses of champagne before a flight if I am there for some time. I won't sit in the dining area just for that and tried twice asking them to check on me and refill when I got low. Did not really work, they just leave their guests in peace.

For these reasons I sometimes prefer the regular FC lounge, a bit more social, more open, and I have good luck there getting the servers to watch for when I need refills. It is less quiet and you will "see" many other people though in comparison to TPR.

Last edited by uanj; Sep 1, 2014 at 4:21 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I would suggest the following solution:

- TPR can introduce a service card. If service is wanted or needed, one side of the card can indicate this. On the other hand, if you want peace just flip it over and state "Do not disturb".

I think this might solve the problem.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lighthand

- TPR can introduce a service card. If service is wanted or needed, one side of the card can indicate this. On the other hand, if you want peace just flip it over and state "Do not disturb".

They have "STOP" & "RUN FORREST RUN" signs on your table at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Classy.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by lighthand

Reminds me of a Brazilian Churrasco...
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by SqKiwi
Isn't the point that the OP got the same service everyone else (including myself) gets in the TPR. It's awful. Reheated food, 90's hotel decor, limited drinks selection and liaize faire service. It's sub-standard relative to the home F lounges of QF, CX, BA and LH.
Message - if you want real F service on the ground, fly someone else. SQ is great in the air but fails to recognize premium pax value the end to end product, not just the flight.
I would counter that SQ's service in the air has fallen from the heydays of the 90s especially for the premium you are constantly paying for a mythical level of service that never seem to materialise.

In conclusion, just fly another carrier unlike SQ is the only one with a direct flight to your destination.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: KF PPS, MM FT
I still think that not having a personal slave to carry your bowl of nuts to your table is not an indication of a sub-standard service even for premium pax, but I concur that SQ is failing terribly in offering the distinctive level of service that it was once known for. My biggest complain nowadays is the way they treat premium frequent flyers. It is absolutely useless to have status nowadays as the only real "premium" pax they see is the one that pays for a ticket. No PPS, Solitaire or whatever will ever get a redemption if they can simply sell the ticket to Joe Nobody that will only fly SQ once in his life. This is a very shortsighted approach in today's market. Pair this with decreasing standards of service on premium cabins and you have a recipe for disaster.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
I've used TPR about a dozen times in the last 3 years and each time the service was similar to what you've experienced. I was offered a drink and menu in the main seating area but wasn't checked up on until I waved one of the staff. Service in the dining room was quite slow but nothing that would upset me. The staff on the ground don't go through the same training as the flight crew

The exception was a SIN-FRA flight when we were delayed 4 hours and had 3 staff look after our every need. It was quite awkward as they brought us blankets and pillows so we could take a nap. Literally as soon as we opened our eyes or shifted in the chair, one of the staff strolled by to see if we needed anything. We felt uncomfortable with this level of 'service'.

Another data point - each time we used TPR, we wore shorts/workout attire - definitely not business attire though I was kindly asked to use one of their computer/phone rooms to complete a conference call. I guess they assumed I was disturbing other guests?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Omg.. Do they know who you are?!!?!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by silver-tls

Another data point - each time we used TPR, we wore shorts/workout attire - definitely not business attire though I was kindly asked to use one of their computer/phone rooms to complete a conference call. I guess they assumed I was disturbing other guests?
Are you trying to say that if you were wearing a 3 piece Brioni suit it would have been okay to rudely sit and talk in the middle of the lounge instead of giving everyone the common courtesy of taking your business to a more private area?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Are you trying to say that if you were wearing a 3 piece Brioni suit it would have been okay to rudely sit and talk in the middle of the lounge instead of giving everyone the common courtesy of taking your business to a more private area?
what would you expect from a grownup wearing toddler's style troucers ?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
For what it's worth I too wish the service was better. The lounge is quiet and private and I do appreciate that.

However the staff serving the F&B could be more motivated. Sure it's not a Michelin starred fine dining restaurant, but if you compare business class service in the air, it hands down beats what you get in TPR.

Secondly - I swear they limit the hot water in the showers (even in TPR)

Furthermore, whats up with the toiletries. Wall mounted soap dispensers?! And the contents of which that turns your hair into hay.

Where are the cotton ear sticks, body moisturisers?

This is SQ First Class we're talking about. Is it really that hard / expensive to provide proper toiletries. SQ provides Ferragamo amenities on the flights, amenity kits, as well as a bottle of perfume in the showers in TPR, why can't they provide the same branded shampoo / shower gel.

Hotels like IC HKG / WA Berlin use the same toiletries for every room, surely they can't be too expensive for SQ TPR!

So many other F lounges use mini bottles as well - BKK ZRH FRA NRT etc. Even business class lounges for BA on JNB use Molton Brown!

Why can't we get a fraction of what it is like in the air?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I've been to TPR a few times, I can never find anywhere to lie down (kabanas etc). I've ended up just lying on the floor at the far end of TPR - until they bring me some pillows and blanket. The lounge is private but very dull, it could definitely use some tasteful artwork to brighten things up a bit.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
If you want a drink, ask for a drink. If you want a snack, ask for a snack. Otherwise, good service is about leaving people alone and presuming that they will communicate their needs. I hate it when service staff interrupt.

This is not a first world problem. It is not a problem.
UA trained you exceptionally well!

A few years down the Smisek road and you will be grateful for any GS agent who does not physically abuse you.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I was at TPR last Friday again and after reading all the comments I had another assessment on this lounge. I still like the way they approach (or not) the guests. I absolutely agree with the facilities provided in the showers/toilets. The more I visit the more I feel actually lonely...if I need to have some work done before the flight it is great. Otherwise it is nicer to be in the First lounge, at least it has a bit more "action" going on.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I find that both the TPR and F lounge service is "tame," "proper" and "hands off" out of respect to privacy (especially in the TPR). You have to level set that going in and based on how you interact with the staff with your needs, etc. they will adjust to you if you come across as being "more open and approachable," that can make it a more casual experience. I hope this makes sense...

YMMV....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.