Wiki Posts
Search

The Private Room - Service Sub Standard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Somehow, I have feeling your travel was on award redemption?
What relevance does this have?

Awards are still paid tickets.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Exactly. You pay for a service you expect to receive that service. Not sure what the narky responses are about.

The difference between service at Sydney First Class Lounge and the Private Room was so different which was the point of this post. Apparently from the responses I read here I just need to suck it up and accept whatever crummy service the staff feels like delivering.
You are very blessed to be able to fly F on a regular basis, and I wish I to am able.

However I think the issue of service at the FC Lounges, is really subjective depending on point of view.

Typically I would image that if you were sitting at the dining area, attentive service is expected. However if you are at a rest and/or TV area, one would normally expect to be given privacy. Hence service would preferably be based on "when I ask for", instead of constant "can I refresh your drink, food, etc." disturbance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by lighthand

Typically I would image that if you were sitting at the dining area, attentive service is expected. However if you are at a rest and/or TV area, one would normally expect to be given privacy. Hence service would preferably be based on "when I ask for", instead of constant "can I refresh your drink, food, etc." disturbance.
Exactly. I would hate being disturbed every few minutes when I'm sitting away from the dining area. LH is very similar - very attentive service when in the dining area, then in the other areas they may offer you a drink when you sit down, but then you can just flag them down at any time. Don't take issue with it at all.

OP looks like they were going into this with an eye to seek out problems (glass half-empty way of thinking). Or maybe I just don't have high enough expectations (e.g. I don't mind it if my tray is placed incorrectly, or my cutlery is still wrapped up in a napkin - which some bloggers seem to have a knack for noticing and complaining about in their trip reports.) @:-)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Somehow, I have feeling your travel was on award redemption?
Just to let you know my trip for 2 was paid for using cash not points.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Aug 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm Reason: Remarks getting personal - edited by mod.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I was in the newly opened SQ F lounge in SYD in December I hoped and prayed that the woman would shut up and leave me alone. I don't care that the chef has his own special touches for the laksha...let me sit in peace and I'll notify you if I need any assistance!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
When I was in the newly opened SQ F lounge in SYD in December I hoped and prayed that the woman would shut up and leave me alone. I don't care that the chef has his own special touches for the laksha...let me sit in peace and I'll notify you if I need any assistance!
I agree. Need something, just ask for it! Maybe we are spoiled though to fly SQ where in the air, the FAs are extremely attentive, but in lounges the agents are less so on the ground.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I chuckled aloud at some of the sarcastic responses, but I do understand the OP's perspective.

I visited the Private Room last week for the first time. My sense was that the philosophy of TPR isn't necessarily over-the-top service, but peace, quiet, and discretion, with service when it's desired by the patron. I think it's just a different model from some of the over-the-top service-oriented lounges and isn't necessarily trying to be that.

This is just my two cents, but I do understand how OP would be disappointed if she was expecting something like the LH FCL or FCT in FRA, or the TG lounge in BKK (none of which I've visited, by the way, so I'm just going by what I've seen on FT).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I would hate to be responsible for drawing up service guidelines for venues catering to an elite echelon of patrons. Different cultures have different expectations of what top-flight service entails, and harmonising them seems nightmarish.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I would hate to be responsible for drawing up service guidelines for venues catering to an elite echelon of patrons. Different cultures have different expectations of what top-flight service entails, and harmonising them seems nightmarish.
Agreed. (I find that airlines generally tend to go by the norms of their home country.)

Also agree with the posts about the higher level of service in the TPR's dining area. When I was there earlier this year, I was doted on while I sat at a table (proactive water refills, asks for more wine, etc.)

Similarly, IME if you are outside of the dining area at LH's FRA FCT, you're not likely to be approached by a staff member more than once or twice an hour.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amelorn
SQ does as good a job inflight and virtually every customer contact point -- Having been in TPR a half dozen times, I think OP received less than stellar service.

It's surprising folks would defend it. I am sure if an SQ manager read this it would be discussed with TPRs team. The goal, I would guess, is to meet the varied expectations which are going to be standard business. @:-)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Exactly. You pay for a service you expect to receive that service. Not sure what the narky responses are about.

The difference between service at Sydney First Class Lounge and the Private Room was so different which was the point of this post. Apparently from the responses I read here I just need to suck it up and accept whatever crummy service the staff feels like delivering.
Its a lounge. Not a restaurant !
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Its a lounge. Not a restaurant !
What's your point?

Service in a lounge should be of a lesser standard?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I also wondered why the single male traveller in TPR at the same time as me was hoofing down a huge snack that had been offered to him as he sat in his seat and his glass was continually filled by staff approaching him. However, I had to go in to the aisle and stand there for ages before catching the eye of a staff member to receive service.

Read in to that everyone and for those who attacked me before.. you're welcome to continue to do so on this above statement.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
FWIW I felt the same at the TPR - very poor soft product, with almost no service at all. For what is touted to be the airline's most premium offering, I expect better than a UA Club style self service bar (albeit with more premium offerings).

Compare this to other airlines' F lounges where staff are much more proactive at offering drinks, and when noticing that a glass is empty, asking if you'd like another or taking it away if you don't. It is the same kind of service you would expect in the F cabin, so why not on the ground?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Isn't the point that the OP got the same service everyone else (including myself) gets in the TPR. It's awful. Reheated food, 90's hotel decor, limited drinks selection and liaize faire service. It's sub-standard relative to the home F lounges of QF, CX, BA and LH.
Message - if you want real F service on the ground, fly someone else. SQ is great in the air but fails to recognize premium pax value the end to end product, not just the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.