Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

Situation: You are flying AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to a non-AA partner airline; you would like to get the EQ/RDM for the flight.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AA; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit". (See more below.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat

I am flying to Bologna, Italy in March and routed the trip rdu-bos bos-dfw dfw-lgw lgw-blq and then blq-lgw lgw-dfw dfw-rdu for a total of 14,182 EQMs. AA cancelled the early dfw-lgw flight and I was faced with a choice of continuing through dfw with HUGE connections in both dfw and lgw, or going direct from rdu. The agent on the phone had already done the direct and I didn't protest too loudly, but did mention that I booked specifically for the miles and even paid a bit extra. She said that there wasn't a way to get money back. I wrote to customer service but an email came back saying that they didnt deal with future flights and to contact res. After the trip is completed in March should I write to cust. servc. since the mile difference is 3,055 (x2 plat bonus!). Any other advice? This occured on two different trips, so total loss is 6,110 eqms bc of the cancelled flight.

===================MODERATOR NOTE===================

Some notes in an attempt to distill some of the collective wisdom in this thread:

1) Original Routing Credit consists of EQM and Bonus Miles; Segment credit was not seasy to get, but several members have reported receiving segment credit (has to be done manually).

2) The best terminology to use is something like "I am requesting original routing credit because I was involuntarily rerouted..."

3) ORC is unlikely to be granted in cases where one has used Standby, has taken a voluntary "bump" or has been granted flight changes for any voluntary or passenger-requested reason.

4) Many report having the PNR amended with a note indicating changes made are involuntary for later claim of ORC; one reports an agent contacting a supervisor for guidance and then denying ORC - though it was later granted by writing AA.

5) Agents are often, not always, heard to say ORC has been granted as a "one time exception", though this seems not to be the case.

6) ORC has been granted to many when they have been switched to other (even non-oneworld) airlines due to weather, mechanical delays or other reasons that reflect the convenience of the airline.

Other threads of interest:

Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)

Original Routing Credit on Business ExtrAA?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm Reason: add mod note / edit same
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
You could probably get a full refund since you could claim the new schedule is not convenient to you and AA cancelled the flight. Then you could try to buy a ticket again with a convoluted routing. Of course I would only ask for a refund if you can price out a routing that is acceptable to you.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Exactly. AA will not issue original mileage credit on future earnings. However, since they changed your schedule you are entitled to a full refund - no change fees. Only you can decide which is better: accepting the changed schedule or canceling and rebooking a new itinerary. Best of luck.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
If your PNR is noted invol reroute, contacting AA CS after the trip to get original miles (incl bonuses) should work - I have done this via the web successfully, thanks to advice from FTers.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tdo-ca
If your PNR is noted invol reroute, contacting AA CS after the trip to get original miles (incl bonuses) should work - I have done this via the web successfully, thanks to advice from FTers.
Correct, or better yet call AA directly.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by tdo-ca
I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that you have been able to get someone to note involuntary reroute in the PNR for a schedule change that ocurred weeks/months in advance of the flight?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that you have been able to get someone to note involuntary reroute in the PNR for a schedule change that ocurred weeks/months in advance of the flight?
I have.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
I have.
Good to know. I stand corrected.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I just had a problem like this happen last week where I was routed BOS-ORD-MAN (purposefully for extra miles) but my BOS-ORD got cancelled and they put me BOS-MAN nonstop. I just received messages from AA as I was in a meeting and by the time I called back they had already rebooked me on the n/s. I puyrposefully asked the EXP agent if I would be able to get original mileage credit and to note on the reservation involuntary reroute and he said that the original mileage credit woudl be no problem.

I called this morning to inquire about getting the original mielage credit to post and the very nice AAdvantage CSR who helped me said taht it is against their policy to give original mileage credit and that the EXP desk is wrong to give a blanket answer that they will. I then told her he put a note in my file regarding it and that I would have asked to been rebooked via ORD had I known this. She eventually did credit me the original miles but said that it was a one time thing. I had never had to do thsi before and I was just curious as to whether it is just a YMMV or if this was the actual policy?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
She eventually did credit me the original miles but said that it was a one time thing. I had never had to do thsi before and I was just curious as to whether it is just a YMMV or if this was the actual policy?
From experience and from reports here on FT, the granting of original routing credit seems to be a standard exception. In other words, AA CSR regularly issues it upon request, but it is generally accompanied with the warning that "we are making an exception" or "we will do it just this once".
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
From experience and from reports here on FT, the granting of original routing credit seems to be a standard exception. In other words, AA CSR regularly issues it upon request, but it is generally accompanied with the warning that "we are making an exception" or "we will do it just this once".
Ahhhhhh....that makes sense, and I figured it was something like that as I definitely recall it being discussed on here. Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation When given an involuntary reroute, request orginal routing credit...

It seems to make things easier to always use the magic phrases: you are requesting "original routing credit," as you were "involuntarily rerouted" or "was given an involuntary reroute," not to mention "please." That particular combination of words may be the key sounds they have been conditioned to salivate at.

I have occasionally been told this was a "this one time only" thing, but I have always received it :fingers crossed:, even when rerouted to a non-AA partner or unlikely mileage earning scenario, e.g. rerouted on US, UA, BA transatlantic, etc.

Voluntary reroutes, that's another can of vermicelli.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 1, 2006 at 8:42 pm Reason: edited for completeness
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:55 am

What about original credit on an involuntary reroute when accommodated on another carrier? I was all set for SFO-ORD-LHR last week when all hell broke loose at ORD. AA cancelled the SFO-ORD flight I was booked on. They accommodated me on UA from SFO-ORD and I just barely made my ORD-LHR on AA. A bit off topic, but have you ever hauled a** to make it from a C (UA) gate to a K (AA) gate at ORD in 5 minutes?

My question is this - do I get credit (EQM/EQS/bonuses, etc) on AA for the SFO-ORD that I flew on UA?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by BigTexasRugger
What about original credit on an involuntary reroute when accommodated on another carrier? I was all set for SFO-ORD-LHR last week when all hell broke loose at ORD. AA cancelled the SFO-ORD flight I was booked on. They accommodated me on UA from SFO-ORD and I just barely made my ORD-LHR on AA. A bit off topic, but have you ever hauled a** to make it from a C (UA) gate to a K (AA) gate at ORD in 5 minutes?

My question is this - do I get credit (EQM/EQS/bonuses, etc) on AA for the SFO-ORD that I flew on UA?
you should
and ua miles too
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by azmmza
you should
and ua miles too
With the caveat, of course, that they will do it "just this one time"
The published info indicates you won't get AA miles for rebooking on other carrriers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.