Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite

I'm booked on a flight today DFW-LAX that shows F0 Y0 for the rest of the day. The weather looks fine on both ends, so I suppose it's just overbooking on that route. If I volunteer for the bump, and I could be assured that they would give me ORC (Original Routing Credit), then they could just send me DFW-TPA.

I did a search, and only found this on weather-related reroutes:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...=bump+original

Are there magic words that need to be in my PNR, like "involuntary reroute" or "original routing credit"? Or should I just suck it up and fly through LAX to get home?

Moderator note: main thread on ORC is Involuntary Reroutes and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 10, 2011 at 9:20 am Reason: add mod note
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I would not assume your flight is oversold...although after checking EF... all flights to LAX are zeroed out today...so the odds are in your favor

But if they do need volunteers, ask the GA after the flight left to put that note in your record (ORC).
Also, I would not assume that you can get on the DFW-TPA nonstop...maybe via MIA...
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
IME when you get a voluntary bump, you give up ALL rights to having taken that flight, INCLUDING the miles you would have earned.

I'd be very surprised if AA allows Original Routing Credit after a voluntary bump. Of course this thread will soon be inundated with scores of posts along the lines of "it happened to my sister" or "I read it on another website so it must be true".
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Well, I'm sure I can't get on the DFW-TPA nonstop tonight, since the last one leaves before my scheduled departure. And I'm not going to hold out much hope for a "proactive" bump, where they reroute me before my original flight is closed.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:54 am

Is the OP going to TPA or LAX?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I'm headed DFW-LAX-MIA-TPA. So my destination is TPA, just trying to get a few extra miles without missing any work.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
It didn't happen to my sister nor a friend. It happened to me.

I was doing the ORD Bonus MRs, 2 in 2 days. The routing was TPA-DFW-ORD-DFW-TPA with the same routing on both days. On the first day the ORD-DFW flight was getting seriously delayed and I knew that I would never make the last TPA flight of the day from DFW and thus I would not make the second day MR.

I called EXP desk and explained the situation. I was routed on a non-stop ORD-TPA, voluntarily, that day. Not only did I get the original routing mileage but it also counted as part of the ORD bonus. I called AAdvantage CS and explained it to them and the agent had no problem adding the ORD-DFW-TPA segments. In fact he left the ORD-TPA segments which caused a problem with the bonus so I had to call again and have them remove that segment. (you can't win them all..... )
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Several weeks ago I took a voluntary bump out of SFO - was rerouted with slightly less mileage so I asked for the original routing credit and was told it wasn't possible as it was voluntary on my account. But as a gesture of good will they gave me 1500 (non status) extra miles so was happy with that... A curious outcome I thought... YMMV!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:05 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by andrzej
It didn't happen to my sister nor a friend. It happened to me.

I was doing the ORD Bonus MRs, 2 in 2 days. The routing was TPA-DFW-ORD-DFW-TPA with the same routing on both days. On the first day the ORD-DFW flight was getting seriously delayed and I knew that I would never make the last TPA flight of the day from DFW and thus I would not make the second day MR.

I called EXP desk and explained the situation. I was routed on a non-stop ORD-TPA, voluntarily, that day. Not only did I get the original routing mileage but it also counted as part of the ORD bonus.
That was not a bump. A bump is "voluntary denied boarding". What you had was a routing change due to a delayed flight. Normally you'd get ORC in your situation. Normally you would -NOT- get ORC in a VDB situation.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Feb 19, 2007 at 12:59 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Normally you would -NOT- get ORD (sic) in a VDB situation.
I agree, except I've found in some cases ORC can actually be negotiated as part of the bump "package". IME it depends on how desperate the agent is to find volunteers.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
That was not a bump. A bump is "voluntary denied boarding". What you had was a routing change due to a delayed flight. Normally you'd get ORC in your situation. Normally you would -NOT- get ORC in a VDB situation.
Agreed. Was recently going to fly SJC-LAX-JFK-LHR. Well, LAX-JFK was so delayed that we would have missed JFK-LHR, and nothing until the next day. Got rerouted SJC-LAX-LHR, and got ORC.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:41 am

Original Routing Credit when flying Standby + misc

So I had a flight from ORD - STL - MCO, but I was able to hop on a direct flight from ORD - MCO by going standby assuming that I will still get the credit for the flights I bought.

Turns out, I only got the mileage credit for ORD-MCO, and here is the response from AA:

-------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail to AAdvantageŽ Customer Service. I'm delighted
to help.

Unfortunately, miles are not earned on segments of your itinerary that
you did not actually fly. It's not enough to purchase an eligible
ticket; in order to earn AAdvantageŽ miles, members must use the ticket
to travel on eligible flights.

I'm sorry my response couldn't be more positive. We value your loyalty
as an Elite member and are eager to continue the beneficial relationship
we have enjoyed thus far. Thank you for your understanding.
--------------------------------------------

Not complaining, just want to verify with the FT community that this is indeed how it works. I have read about the term 'Original routing credit' and assumed that you get miles for the itin you buy regardless of if you get re-routed or not. However, involuntary re-route is different than voluntary standby.

<Side issue/rant>

Why the &*($ do GAs always make it hard for me to get on standby? Every single time I try to go on standby, the first response is flight is completely checked in. Then usually there have been over 10-15 people at least on the standby flights. So when I ask them to put me on the standby anyways, the response is "No, you will not get on". Then, at that point, I am just like "Yes, I may, I should be able to pass some of these people on the list" . Then I show them the BP saying I am Platinum, and they make a sour face and start working...saying 'yeah, we'll call your name' as if they just did a huge favor for me which they did not want to.

Every flight as PLT that I have gone standby for, I am either 1st or 2nd, and obviously made it easily with an exit row seat.

Is it just because of age/appearance/race/whtever? They can at least look at the BP first and then make a judgment call if its worth the effort to put the person on the list.

<end rant>
Old May 21, 2008, 10:50 am

Unfortunately, the response from AA is correct. Original Routing Credit is a "favor" from AA, something not guaranteed -- technically, you only get miles for what you fly. In practice, AA will be willing to provide original routing credit when its their fault you didn't fly the assigned routing -- misconnects, mechanicals, etc. Even weather, sometimes... However, if its your fault, its pretty rare to get credit, and with standby, pretty impossible.

Think about it: If you could get original credit for direct standby, you could book a complex four segment routing to some destination, go standby direct, and then get the original routing credit for those four. Thats obviously not a good situation.

As for gate agent attitude, I have encountered that attitude on occasion. How late are you adding yourself to the standby list? In my experience, gate agents tend to get a bit more snippy as it gets closer and closer to departure, especially when the gate agent has already started processing stand-bys...
Old May 21, 2008, 2:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can add youself to the standby list using the kiosk. There are kiosks inside security on the H and K concourses. Doen't address the agen snippyness - just helps you avoid them.

More info on the fetaures available at the kiosk...
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...le=selfservice
Old May 21, 2008, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by rbessler
Think about it: If you could get original credit for direct standby, you could book a complex four segment routing to some destination, go standby direct, and then get the original routing credit for those four. Thats obviously not a good situation.

As for gate agent attitude, I have encountered that attitude on occasion. How late are you adding yourself to the standby list? In my experience, gate agents tend to get a bit more snippy as it gets closer and closer to departure, especially when the gate agent has already started processing stand-bys...
I was thinking about it and have a 6 segment itin on Hold with intention of traveling on 4 as the timings are perfect for getting on standby for direct flights. Looks like time to rebook another

The timings for getting on standby has been varied, 60 mins before to when First class boarding starts.

Originally Posted by HNL
You can add youself to the standby list using the kiosk. There are kiosks inside security on the H and K concourses. Doen't address the agen snippyness - just helps you avoid them.

More info on the fetaures available at the kiosk...
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...le=selfservice
I thought the Kiosk does not give you an option of getting on standby for a direct flight when you have booking with a connection. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.