Search

New Forum Request: Flyertalk Approved Charities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:42 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
New Forum Request: Flyertalk Approved Charities

I see today that there is another proposal for an approved charity.

Once these charities are approved, it seems like they would be off limits to be posted in any particular forum.

I would like to recommend that the Talkboard consider adding a "Flyertalk Cares Forum" which would allow discussion of such charities... and a place for approved charities to "advertise" and the like.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you can answer so I can properly start to form an opinion.

Where do these posts go now?

Approximately how many charities are there? Are we talking 2-3 or 30-40?

What types of discussion to you see being made on these charities? What type of discussion is there currently on these charities?

How do you see advertising of approved charities working?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about just having a list of the approved charities be a sticky in "Community?"
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
How about just having a list of the approved charities be a sticky in "Community?"
If you are thinking about CommunityBuzz! forum, then we are on the same page.

I am not sure if the Approved Charities would be big enough to have their own forum, but I do think we probably need a place for discussion on charities (FTer approved or not). Charities in a sense is a community issue. Should the format of the list/discussion be a sticky or a subforum under CommunityBuzz!? I can go either way.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

I know how much many members hate Stickys.... and not sure I would consider "Charities" something that would warrant a permanent sticky.

I know that Randy does not want any discussion of non approved charities on FT... or links... so was not thinking that.

I was actually thinking a forum on the approved charities would allow a place for the charity to be discussed...

I do not anticipate it being the busiest forum in the world... but thought it would be great to have a place for the charities to be highlighted.

Please... NO subforums....
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Why isn't the list of "approved" charities just added to the existing FlyerTalk Cares page? This page includes a link to discussion threads (in whatever forum the OP requested permission to post the charity).

I think this format provides a consolidated list (on FlyerTalk Cares page) and a discussion thread in either CommunityBuzz, the BA forum, or wherever it is most likely to attract the desired attention. Limiting all discussion threads to a "Charity" forum probably won't attract much in the way of attention or donations, which sort of defeats the purpose.

For those who haven't seen the FlyerTalk Cares page before, it is under "Members" at the top of your FT window.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Part of my reason for suggesting something.... do we really want charity requests in all the different forums?

I would think that MOST charities would interest members of different forums... but we do not allow cross posting....

I would just like to see a way for approved charities to get focused attention.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
FlyerTalk is made up of many sub-communities. While the TB's approval of charity solicitations is a blanket approval, it is left to the discretion of the person wanting (and approved) to make the solicitations and the various forum moderators to decide where those solicitations are most appropriate.

Some folks have focused their solicitations among the BA community, some the GLBT community, etc. I'd be reticent to limit the ability of posters to present their approved solicitations to the audience they see as best (with the consent of the forum moderator, natch).
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
FlyerTalk is made up of many sub-communities. While the TB's approval of charity solicitations is a blanket approval, it is left to the discretion of the person wanting (and approved) to make the solicitations and the various forum moderators to decide where those solicitations are most appropriate.

Some folks have focused their solicitations among the BA community, some the GLBT community, etc. I'd be reticent to limit the ability of posters to present their approved solicitations to the audience they see as best (with the consent of the forum moderator, natch).
I agree with everything kokonutz says here...I don't think a FlyerTalk Charities forum is a good idea at all because I honestly doubt it would get much traffic & I don't think that it'll necessarily attract the users that would be likely to donate to its cause.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
How about a sub forum under Community Buzz that lists approved charities?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Punki
Personally, I'd rather see a sticky thread for a while before a subforum was actually created...
Old Feb 16, 2008, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Punki
Punki,

If a decision was taken to create a specific forum.... I would prefer it to appear right after CommunityBuzz in the main Forum list; not as a subforum. I feel things get lost as subforums....

Thanks for considering it.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
With any new forum, there will be a certain amount of slowness to it. There is no doubt about that. However, I think the biggest things that need to be considered are:

Pros
1)A place that contains a list of charities have been approved/rejected.
2)A place where members can discuss how to (and best way to) donate such things as airline miles and other points from car rentals and hotels as well as cash, time, and other resources.

Con
1)FT can be left open to that forum becoming a tribal hunting ground for people trying to raise money for their own charity.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:54 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Seat13c
With any new forum, there will be a certain amount of slowness to it. There is no doubt about that. However, I think the biggest things that need to be considered are:

Pros
1)A place that contains a list of charities have been approved/rejected.
2)A place where members can discuss how to (and best way to) donate such things as airline miles and other points from car rentals and hotels as well as cash, time, and other resources.

Con
1)FT can be left open to that forum becoming a tribal hunting ground for people trying to raise money for their own charity.
I agree with most of this - however, the con part won't necessarily be applicable since "unapproved" charities will not be allowed to post.

I'm a bit ambivalent whether this should be a new forum or a sticky somewhere - Community seems to be the logical choice.

Cross-posting to relevant forums (for the audience) should be allowed but limited - eg not to every forum - not sure what limit should be placed however. For example, if I were trying to solicit for a charity, my natural forums would be GLBT & Hyatt but probably not to Delta (where I participate on a limited basis).
Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:59 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
As one of the co-hosts of the Cow Do in Buenos Aires, I organize a series of Wine Tasting's that benefit different charities. If this would have to be part of the FT approved Charity scheme... please let me know so that I can see how I can get the Charity we will benefit on the approved list.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.