Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Forum Request: Flyertalk Approved Charities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
FlyerTalk is made up of many sub-communities. While the TB's approval of charity solicitations is a blanket approval, it is left to the discretion of the person wanting (and approved) to make the solicitations and the various forum moderators to decide where those solicitations are most appropriate.

Some folks have focused their solicitations among the BA community, some the GLBT community, etc. I'd be reticent to limit the ability of posters to present their approved solicitations to the audience they see as best (with the consent of the forum moderator, natch).
I agree. I'm AGAINST a forum centred around charity.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:24 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Based on the recent discussions, I wanted to bring this back to the top.

I had suggested this several months ago.... and still feel it is appropriate if we want to allow charity solicitations on FT.

Another member suggested in another thread about just letting individuals post their own charity requests... and this forum could be such a "SPAM ALLOWED" forum.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:51 pm

individual needs

Since my cancer diagnosis I have seen one real unmet need. The different nonprofit organizations that do conferences and retreats have limited scholarship $$ to cover registrations, etc. However, they require participants to arrange and pay for their own transportation, which is very reasonable since their funds are limited. I have had a dream of coordinating efforts to have donations of tickets for these events so more can attend. It really keeps survivors current and hearing and talking to the doctors is invaluable when your treatment options are slim. If we really want to meet an unmet need this would be a wonderful way and not take much effort. I would certainly volunteer my time to help. My background is mental health, as well as having worked for charities. Not as easy as just listing charities but much more innovative and helpful in my mind. Thanks for your consideration.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
hinsopa-

Is there a specific charity you have in mind? If so, you might want to PM any of the TalkBoard members and see if they'll discuss it in the private TalkBoard forum and consider a vote on it.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

In another thread, a Talkboard member posted: "TalkBoard was not tasked with determining whether a charity's value system was "agreeable". We were tasked with determining the legitimacy of a charity. If this task needs to change, it should be through a formal motion to change the function of TB's involvement with FlyerTalk Cares, not through intimidation and harrassment."

I would therefore like to ask the Talkboard to consider changing its charter around the approval of charities.

My recommendation:

- The Talkboard immediately suspends its current process for approving charities.
- The Talkboard approve the creation of a "Charities Solicitation" Forum (or whatever name you want) as a Forum under "Community". In this forum, any member can start a thread for a charity or organization. Other members are free to chime in with support or criticisms of such forums. All charity discussions on Flyertalk are to stay in this forum. If a particular charity has relations to other forums, (ie. Women's Forum, Delta, GLBT, BA) then a thread can be started to indicate there is a thread in the Charities Forum and all discussions should take place in that forum.

Once this is approved, the Talkboard has no further involvement in the approval of charities for Flyertalk members. Each member can decise for him/herself whether to support a charity.

I hope the Talkboard considers this suggestion.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by wharvey
In another thread, a Talkboard member posted: "TalkBoard was not tasked with determining whether a charity's value system was "agreeable". We were tasked with determining the legitimacy of a charity. If this task needs to change, it should be through a formal motion to change the function of TB's involvement with FlyerTalk Cares, not through intimidation and harrassment."

I would therefore like to ask the Talkboard to consider changing its charter around the approval of charities.

My recommendation:

- The Talkboard immediately suspends its current process for approving charities.
- The Talkboard approve the creation of a "Charities Solicitation" Forum (or whatever name you want) as a Forum under "Community". In this forum, any member can start a thread for a charity or organization. Other members are free to chime in with support or criticisms of such forums. All charity discussions on Flyertalk are to stay in this forum. If a particular charity has relations to other forums, (ie. Women's Forum, Delta, GLBT, BA) then a thread can be started to indicate there is a thread in the Charities Forum and all discussions should take place in that forum.

Once this is approved, the Talkboard has no further involvement in the approval of charities for Flyertalk members. Each member can decise for him/herself whether to support a charity.

+ 1
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
+2

This would also significantly lessen the personal liability exposure of individual TalkBoard members.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

My recommendation:

Allowing people to argue the pro's and con's of a particular charity, it's work or it's sponsors could spawn many heated confrontations and who would eventually want to post in such a forum and risk the potential wrath of many others? And what would stop some from posting simply to promote a controversial or confrontational agenda? Or would moderation keep the debate on a somewhat civil level?

While not wanting to be the pessimist I see some room for a less than positive forum developing but that's just MHO and I appreciate OP making suggestions.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 11, 2008 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I'd like to see FT stop allowing any commercial or charitable solicitations.

It would enable us to focus all of collective energy on miles, points, travel, etc. and avoid train wrecks similar to what we have here.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:56 pm
iff

My recommendation:

I agree with your suggestions in general; however, if such a forum were created, I believe it should be read-only or else it could easily turn into a war zone. There could also be a disclaimer at the top stating that FlyerTalk itself does not endorse any of the organizations mentioned. It would be up to the readers to do their research and act accordingly.

Another option instead of a forum might be to allow an approved sig line where posters can promote their causes with a link to more info. If it begins with FLYERTALKERS CARE: it will be easily seen and distinguishable from spam postings.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I would expect this forum to be under the same rules as any other forum... and would expect it would have a dedicated moderator team or the Senior Mods.

I would not want to stifle debate... look what came out when we allowed members to get engage. Information that the TB did not see came to light. I believe hearty and civil debate would be valuable.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by iff
I agree with your suggestions in general; however, if such a forum were created, I believe it should be read-only or else it could easily turn into a war zone. There could also be a disclaimer at the top stating that FlyerTalk itself does not endorse any of the organizations mentioned. It would be up to the readers to do their research and act accordingly.

Another option instead of a forum might be to allow an approved sig line where posters can promote their causes with a link to more info. If it begins with FLYERTALKERS CARE: it will be easily seen and distinguishable from spam postings.
I believe a statement such as this would have alleviated much of the discussion of the MTW issue because it moves a cause from the general endorsement arena into the individual opinion arena. Each FTer who is interested in a particular charity is tasked with the job of research and can then make an individual decision about supporting it, or not. Then the support of an organization will not be seen as coming from a representative voice speaking for FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I would expect this forum to be under the same rules as any other forum... and would expect it would have a dedicated moderator team or the Senior Mods.
I think that would be the way to go. If anyone feels that a post does not fit within the FlyerTalk TOS, the "bad post" icon can be hit so that it could be dealt with in the manner already established for every other post which a member might find offensive.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sushibear
I believe a statement such as this would have alleviated much of the discussion of the MTW issue because it moves a cause from the general endorsement arena into the individual opinion arena. Each FTer who is interested in a particular charity is tasked with the job of research and can then make an individual decision about supporting it, or not. Then the support of an organization will not be seen as coming from a representative voice speaking for FlyerTalk.
I also support this proposal - separate forum for FT Charities (or whatever name might be better). Another refinement might be to only allow posts from members that have passed a certain milestone (posts/time) like Coupon Connection and OMNI. I don't believe in making it post only and no discussion but of course the discussion needs to be moderated.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:20 am
iff

Originally Posted by peteropny
I don't believe in making it post only and no discussion but of course the discussion needs to be moderated.
I do agree that allowing discussion would be valuable (certainly the current exchanges on this topic demonstrate that); my only thought in suggesting read-only was in regard to the moderators as that could potentially be a very demanding forum moderation-wise. Perhaps no more so than some others on FT, though.

Originally Posted by peteropny
Another refinement might be to only allow posts from members that have passed a certain milestone (posts/time) like Coupon Connection and OMNI.
That seems like a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.