Search

Best CHEAP chain steakhouse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Best CHEAP chain steakhouse?

I realize that there are many contenders for worst. I'm 100 miles from a Ruth's, Morton's, Palm, etc.

We have Outback, Longhorn (just opened), Lone Star, Logan's, Ryan's (shudder) and I've eaten in a few others while travelling; Ponderosa, Bonanza, Black Angus.

I don't find any of them worth a visit, but steak isn't my favorite food either.

Last edited by BamaVol; Feb 1, 2007 at 8:47 pm
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I'll put in a vote for Lone Star for one thing and one thing only...the steak sandwich (which is not a Philly style steak sandwich but rather a piece of sirloin over toasted bread). A little A1 on top and that's some good eatin'.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In no way shape or form should the phrase Steakhouse and Bonanza/ Ponderosa be used in the same sentence.

If those are your options, then you have to go local and avoid the chains.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sizzler has gotten a lot better since it imploded. The few remaining locations might be a good bet. And if the steak isn't good, there is always the salad bar.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by number_6
Sizzler has gotten a lot better since it imploded. The few remaining locations might be a good bet. And if the steak isn't good, there is always the salad bar.

My experience is that one can sometimes find lots of good menu items at "low cost" steak houses....but a good steak isn't one of them.

Sizzler (if you can ever find one) may well be the best example of this dynamic.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I'll put in a vote for Lone Star for one thing and one thing only...the steak sandwich (which is not a Philly style steak sandwich but rather a piece of sirloin over toasted bread). A little A1 on top and that's some good eatin'.
Mrs BamaVol judges a chain steakhouse on the quality of their chicken quesadillas.

I used to order the steak sandwich at Carl's Jr. I think it was the sauce that made me do it. I'm pretty sure there's still a piece or two stuck in my aorta.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Tads ^
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Of that chain mix, probably Outback and maybe Longhorn, best of a mediocre bunch. Lone Star has gotten progressively worse over the years. Used to go there every once in a while (because there's one nearby), then the last time a couple years ago I vowed never again. Used to be on par with Outback, many menu items almost the same. But Outback has remained a little more consistent. (I realize, not saying much.) Ponderosa/Bonanza/etc of that ilk are another step down even from Lone Star.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Outback and Longhorn, given that group of restaurants. I would probably choose something else if it was available.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I realize that there are many contenders for worst. I'm 100 miles from a Ruth's, Morton's, Palm, etc.

We have Outback, Longhorn (just opened), Lone Star, Logan's, Ryan's (shudder) and I've eaten in a few others while travelling; Ponderosa, Bonanza.

I don't find any of them worth a visit, but steak isn't my favorite food either.
I'll take Lone Star over the others without hesitation.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Texas Roadhouse....even if you don't like the steak the stuffed sweet potatoes (with marshmallow and caramel) will get you through!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Lone Star!

I've been very pleased with Lone Star my last several visits. One nice surprise is their ribs. They seem to be more tasty, tender and "falling off the bone" than other rib joints. I always order a combo that includes their ribs now. I also love their warm bread and honeybutter and their sweet potatoes! Mmmm...makes me hungry just thinking about it.

I'd rate Outback just behind Lone Star. Outback does have good steak for the price.

On the other hand, Stuart Anderson's has gotten progressively worse and worse over the years, especially with their new menu.

Sizzler has always been a dump.

Steve
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
In my younger days, I used to go to York Steak House. The steaks were bad, but they had a nice dinner salad with good dressing. As for the steaks -- pile on the onions, drown it in steak sauce & ketchup, and who cares?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
A friend whose palate and nose for a good deal I trust recommended
the Texas Roadhouse, and I find it beats Outback cold.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Texas Roadhouse! You can pick your own steak (I mean you can actually pick your specific slab of meat), chili is to die for, and if you're a steaksauce guy/gal, they have one of the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.