Best CHEAP chain steakhouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best CHEAP chain steakhouse?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
For me, Applebee's and its kind represent the same level of mediocrity, no matter where you are, right down to the memorabilia on the wall. In most places where Applebee's exists, you can go to a nearby local restaurant, spend the same amount of money, and eat something new and different that is likely to taste better.

On the other hand, if the people you're with aren't as gastronomically adventurous as you (this happens to me a lot), there are worse lowest common denominators

I made the mistake of eating at the Times Square Applebee's once. Paid far more than the usual prices and the food was even worse.

Well put! I feel the same way. I'd much rather eat at a one of a kind restaurant, especially when I'm traveling. I'm no food snob, but it's sad that these chain restaurants serving overpriced, poor quality food are taking over.

That being said, I did just get a $100 gift card to outback for test driving a Maseratti and I'm not about to turn down free food. Or ridiculous offers to test drive cars worth more than my apartment and its contents...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I can't say I'd consider Lone Star or Outback cheap for my budget, though certainly in comparison to a Morton's or a Ruth's Chris.

What's happened with ones like Western Sizzlin, Golden Corral and Ryan's is that they've morphed into feeding troughs for the blue hairs where you're an oddity if you just order a steak plate. Given that, it's hard to see how they can keep focused on what they were originally about. It's like MTV no longer playing music videos.

I like the idea of a Brazilian steakhouse, but it seems you've gotta have a monster appetite to make it come out.

Hopefully more independents will be tried now that review sites and actual menus are available over the Internet. Locals might know a good place or two, but travelers need assurance over quality and price range.

Honestly, though, I think I do best in Las Vegas by reading the reviews of the better buffet deals.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I'd have to go with Outback. I think the filet is only like $18 and it is quite tasty. While it'll never compare to a $40 cut at Ruth's Chris, if you're hungry and in the mood for steak it certainly does the job.

I don't think I would consider Houston's or The Keg in the "cheap" category. I would say they are in a slightly more upscale category(i.e. no "flair" on the servers). Plus you are far less likely to find one unless you are in a big city.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I like the Keg, but I never get out of there spending less than $40. I tend to end up at them in July on vacations, and I'm always a sucker for their lobster au gratin appetizer. Another good place in that range used to be Mountain Jacks/Hungry Hunter, but it's been at least 7-8 years since I've been to one (are there any left)?

In the $20-$25 all-in range (steak, salad, starch, diet coke, tip), I usually don't order the steaks except maybe on a salad. I used to hit an Outback across the street from our hotel outside of Albany, and usually did chicken or salad. Lone Star is meh, Logan's is ok but again I'm more likely to get a sandwich or a salad. Houston's was good but they've closed the Nashville location so I haven't been at one in a few years.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:54 pm

Texas Roadhouse is much better than Outback in my opinion.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
In my geographic area, Texas Roadhouse and Outback are the better of the low end steakhouses. Obviously YMMV...
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:19 pm

I kind of suffer from a little Cheaposteakophobia, but I like Texas Land and Cattle. But, I think you have to be in....well, Texas. Saltgrass, that's not too bad in a pinch.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by HiJanIsHere
I kind of suffer from a little Cheaposteakophobia,
Thanks for the
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I like the Keg, but I never get out of there spending less than $40.
Yeah, I think I mentioned them earlier in this thread. Decent steak, decent value, but they arent exactly cheap. When I'm North of the Border (or for that matter, in Seattle), I like their Teriyaki or their Prime Rib sandwich.

I don't go as freqently since they took out what used to be a fantastic salad bar.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:59 am

Find a good Brazilian Steakhouse

They are ALL YOU CAN EAT and usually well above average. Fago de Chao is TOP of the line and lunch is a steal at @ $25. Includes a gourmet salad bar. Dinner is about twice that.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ipegleg
They are ALL YOU CAN EAT and usually well above average. Fago de Chao is TOP of the line and lunch is a steal at @ $25. Includes a gourmet salad bar. Dinner is about twice that.
Do you mean Fogo de Chao? If so, there are barely a handful of locations so most people would never see one in their normal travels. Plus $25 for lunch is more than what people on this thread are looking to spend on their dinner.

However, I will say that their food is A+. ^
Living less than 2 miles away from one, I can attest that this is probably the best restaurant to drive by, just for the smell of all that meat roasting on the huge fire pit they have.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:19 pm

Having been to restaurants such as Donovan's San Diego, Smith & Wollensky and Delmonico in Vegas, and others, my recommendation for San Diego area (if it still exists) is Carvers Steak and Chops in Rancho Bernardo. It's actually a small chain restaurant owned by the same company that runs Hunter's or Hungry Hunter's.

Priced around $20-25 and locals often get coupon in the mail, you get very close to top quality steak at a fraction of the price. Here are some qualities I think regular chains such as Outback cannot compete on:

1. Taste great without seasoning or sauce; what properly aged beef should be
2. You order a medium or medium-rare, you get exactly that
3. Dark wood interior and classier atmosphere with no noisy families
4. Decent wine offerings that are devoid of cheap sub $10 rotguts
5. Take reservations, well-dressed and mannered staff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.