Wiki Posts
Search

The Continuous “Please Assist a FlyerTalk Member” Get-Together Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

The Continuous “Please Assist a FlyerTalk Member” Get-Together Thread

I have noticed several FlyerTalk members in different threads mentioning how they would like to have help with such tasks as moving, having their house painted, or building a deck on their home.

I thought it would be a nice idea to employ the vast resources of FlyerTalk members who are interested in volunteering their assistance, but for some reason I was asked to post this thread, so here it is.

The reasons why I initially thought this could possibly be a good idea is because:
  • This could foster reciprocal arrangements, such as “You help me install cabinets in my kitchen and bathroom, and in return I will help paint your house”
  • It would give some FlyerTalk members a reason to visit certain locations to which they would otherwise not visit
  • This could be an opportunity for FlyerTalk members who need assistance to save money, time and resources while giving other FlyerTalk members the opportunity to earn miles and points in their favourite frequent traveler programs
  • It would be an opportunity to FlyerTalk members to meet other FlyerTalk members
Anyway, here is the thread, so let’s try it. I hope it helps many FlyerTalk members all around the world get what they need done thanks to the spirit of a true community.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
BGM Woodwork DO *smile*

Ok it was my comments about building a deck that lead to Canarsie's post. I think it is a great idea. Anyone want to build a deck or lay hardwood flooring in Binghamton NY, I'll buy the beer.

And if you are looking for a unique airport experience this is the place to visit *giggle*
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam

Perhaps some of the folks in Community could be a real help in some projects. I'd be afraid of most of the folks in OMNI helping me with anything, it would all lean to the left, the far left.....

There are some folks there that could prove quite helpful in painting. There are an awful of of broad brushes used.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by underpressure
Perhaps some of the folks in Community could be a real help in some projects. I'd be afraid of most of the folks in OMNI helping me with anything, it would all lean to the left, the far left......
When my wife & I were first in real estate (~87) a housing inpsector gave a slide show of problems to watch out for, including a phenomenon he called a "six-case roof".

Will a riot result when the beer is served in plastic (or even worse -- stryofoam!) cups with paper napkins?
Old May 1, 2006, 7:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I've been living with a multiple six-pack we-have-a-party-tomorrow-deadline deck for about 10 years. It's a wonderful teaching tool to show how drinking impairs judgement. Fortunately I've given up spike high heels so no longer fall through the cracks in certain areas.

Time to go take another look at that fake decking stuff. Anybody have experience with it and particularly how it looks after a few years?
Old May 3, 2006, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Will such a deck / paint / move get-together be a DO-IY?
Are you in the middle of a realestate / DIY boom, or just want to see FTers work up a sweat?
Old May 4, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lili
I've been living with a multiple six-pack we-have-a-party-tomorrow-deadline deck for about 10 years. It's a wonderful teaching tool to show how drinking impairs judgement. Fortunately I've given up spike high heels so no longer fall through the cracks in certain areas.

Time to go take another look at that fake decking stuff. Anybody have experience with it and particularly how it looks after a few years?
I had a Redwood deck which my dogs destroyed unintentionally just by being dogs and which needed oiling all the time. When I moved I used the Lowes generic version of TREX for a deck. You need to pre-drill the holes to screw it into the joists but it cuts with a circular saw just like wood. I have had it 2 years and it still looks good and the dogs have not scratched it up. It also does not fade too much as I discovered when the tree trimmer backed his truck into it and I had to replace a board.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
If anyone needs their hot tub tested, I'm a connoisseur.
Old May 5, 2006, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
If anyone needs their hot tub tested, I'm a connoisseur.
Or test a martini? Or maybe both together?
Old May 5, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Or test a martini? Or maybe both together?
Only if you're making them again! You're a great bartender!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:46 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Given the current state of the worldwide economy, it might be a good time to bring this thread back into the spotlight in case any FlyerTalk members need it.

Having FlyerTalk members fly to places to help each other would certainly be within the scope of the FlyerTalk community spirit, in my opinion. If mutually beneficial arrangements result, that is all the better.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
When my wife & I were first in real estate (~87) a housing inpsector gave a slide show of problems to watch out for, including a phenomenon he called a "six-case roof".

Will a riot result when the beer is served in plastic (or even worse -- stryofoam!) cups with paper napkins?
It depends on the beer, but, well, typically, yes, I will riot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.