Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrade to other instruments [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2005, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I know that the rules will not allow you to do this but is there a glitch in the system that you could use swap a CR1 that has a confirmed seat to 500 milers at check in?

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:03 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
In the past, I've asked and have always been accomodated. But I haven't asked for a while since I prefer my 500 mile certs expiring and converting to miles and I have enough CR1s and SWUs to upgrade.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuussshhhhhhhhh.

Glen

Old May 2, 2005, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Oz is right...

Yup, some FT tricks are best not posted
Old May 2, 2005, 7:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
"i'll be quiet" but with 3 "cr1 flights" coming up in may, i'd be grateful if someone could pm me with any info. i've always aksed to do it at check-in but have never had any luck

edited to add: my 500th post
Old May 2, 2005, 11:23 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
"Me too" if only I had enough CR1s or 500 milers! I never have enough! The moment a CR-1 posts I use it and the same for the 500 milers. Currently I have 4 flights booked and only enough CR1s and 500 milers for 2 of them. The only thing I have too much of are the SWUs!
Old May 2, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The only thing I have too much of are the SWUs!
Not exactly a bad problem to have You can probably convert those "extra" SWUs to 2 CR1s in Coupon Connection.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuussshhhhhhhhh.

Glen
It's not as if they don't know it's being done, or at least attempted. I had this conversation with a couple of UA CSR friends one evening several months ago. They've been willing to accommodate, except that they do have some 1Ks in their station that they recognize doing this. Well, one WAS doing it on a regular basis until he tried one too many times with the same CSR

Last edited by cawhite60156; May 2, 2005 at 12:15 pm
Old May 2, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by ryan182
Not exactly a bad problem to have You can probably convert those "extra" SWUs to 2 CR1s in Coupon Connection.
You may even get 3 if your SWU's expire much later and the CR1's are a more immidiate expiration dates.
Old May 2, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
This practice should be stamped out! People should not be able to unfairly use the same CR-1 to reserve multiple upgrades at the time of ticketing.

If you want a confirmed upgrade then you should use the required currency.
Old May 2, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
This practice should be stamped out! People should not be able to unfairly use the same CR-1 to reserve multiple upgrades at the time of ticketing.

If you want a confirmed upgrade then you should use the required currency.
It happens by mistake: I had two confirmed ugs on CR1s this yeay for which
500 milers were pulled instead - without my wrongdoing.
On the other hand, I had a full fare for which I was 'charged' 500 milers as well.
So fate caught up on me.

Plus you can only reserve one ug per CR1 at a time as it is marked reserved
and cannot be deployed for other ugs as well.
Old May 2, 2005, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by goalie
"i'll be quiet" but with 3 "cr1 flights" coming up in may, i'd be grateful if someone could pm me with any info. i've always aksed to do it at check-in but have never had any luck

edited to add: my 500th post
Me too...have asked twice (nicely!) with no success. In both cases, the flight ended up being full in C, so maybe they couldn't do it without exposing my (confirmed upgraded) seat to someone else claiming it?

I'd be grateful for advice - I have 30+ 500 milers now, and only 1 CR-1 (until the next quarter posts, anyway!)
Old May 3, 2005, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by weero
Plus you can only reserve one ug per CR1 at a time as it is marked reserved and cannot be deployed for other ugs as well.
Right, I didn't mean to imply one CR-1 could be used concurrently for multiple bookings. The process is:

- confirm flight A with CR-1
- switch to 500-milers at check-in
- now confirm flight B with CR-1
... repeat ...

Sure mistakes happen but deliberate attempts to abuse the system should not be tolerated.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Consolidated "Switching SWU/CR-1/Miles-Supported Upgrades to e500s" Thread [Merged]

Hi all,

I know we've had similar discussions in the past, but I could not find an exact answer to my question. Plus the search button times out, I need to use Google.

Anyway - I'm short of miles to upgrade an intl itinerary both ways. I have confirmed the outbound segments only. The inbound segments show I1 so I cant afford to wait anymore to confirm my upgrades, although I should get my miles in probably less than 2 weeks.

Can I upgrade using a "virtual" paper SWU on united.com and then switch to miles? It is an H fare and both instruments are confirmed upgrades... I'm just wondering whether this will work out fine.

Should I call back whenever I get the miles and have an agent switch the upgrade instrument? Would I risk loosing the upgrade this way? Or is it better to wait until checkin, at which point usually agents dont really mind using whatever instrument you have?
Old Aug 28, 2005, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I don't think this is technically allowed, but you can wiatlist/confirm with one upgrade type and then swap it at check in. I have done it before, as have numerous other FTers.

The one exception is swapping a confirmed upgrade (miles/CR-1/SWU) for e500's at check in. That is obviously cheating, and I doubt most agents would like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.