Search

Which LAX-HKG flight????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Which LAX-HKG flight????

Hello everyone,

I am currently planning travel flying LAX-HKG in J. I am disheartened by some of the recent reports, but LAX is my only option for this trip. My question is: Is there any difference in J service on the 1150pm departure versus the 0155am departure??? Likewise, is there a difference on HKG-LAX in J between the afternoon and late night departure????

Thanks in advance....
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:59 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
I've taken both flights in both directions in J. I've noticed only minimal differences in service levels on the flights, personnally i think just pick the one that fits your schedule better. I tend to like the later LAX-HKG flight because it has worked better with my personal sleep schedule, and exhausting myself to the point where I sleep for more of the flight. My only caution with the later flight (which I think is actually 12:15, not 1:30) is that if you are connecting in HKG to SE Asia connecting times can get cut pretty tight if there are any delays (winter months headwinds can really screw with the flights TO Asia). The other big advantage to the later flight is that the TBIT at LAX is less crowded than for the earlier flight, although in J that is not a big issue, if there is a long security line, they will give you a pass to use the crew line.

On the return from HKG again, either decide if you want a full day in HK or want a half day. I found it odd when returning on the 11:30p flight last week that we were served dinner after take off from HK and then BREAKFAST on approach to LA even though it was evening LA time. Last year on this flight I had two dinners.

Not sure if this helps at all. Personnally i like the upper deck, if you can, get the middle exit row upstairs for more space.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
If you are connecting on beyond HKG, here's another vote for the earlier flight into HKG. Twice in the last year we had to divert to ICN for fuel, so I would much prefer to have the extra time to connect. Assuming normal operations, you can then have the extra time for showering, etc.

If you are not connecting and don't have an early meeting scheduled in HKG, then go for the later flight.

I always go for the 4:30 PM flight on the return for personal reasons - see my wife earlier and to sleep in my own bed that night.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:34 pm

[QUOTE=ak333]If you are connecting on beyond HKG, here's another vote for the earlier flight into HKG. Twice in the last year we had to divert to ICN for fuel, so I would much prefer to have the extra time to connect. Assuming normal operations, you can then have the extra time for showering, etc.

Not that I am saying people deserve compensation, but just curious on how CX cutomer service handled your diversions?

I was fortunate last winter to always get on the A346 (which has a longer range than the 744) flight, and had less of a chance of needing a refueling stop. In February took the late A346, wheels up to wheels down in HKG was 16:48 flight time, the earlier 744 had to make a fuel stop and landed after us. Headwinds were strong that night, and it was a very turbulent flight. One interesting note is that the A346 flight actually had a longer scheduled flight time since the 744 has a faster cruising altititude.

Now that the Airbus has been deployed on the JFK route, this is no longer an option
Old Dec 8, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by studio76
Not that I am saying people deserve compensation, but just curious on how CX cutomer service handled your diversions?

I was fortunate last winter to always get on the A346 (which has a longer range than the 744) flight, and had less of a chance of needing a refueling stop. In February took the late A346, wheels up to wheels down in HKG was 16:48 flight time, the earlier 744 had to make a fuel stop and landed after us. Headwinds were strong that night, and it was a very turbulent flight. One interesting note is that the A346 flight actually had a longer scheduled flight time since the 744 has a faster cruising altititude.

Now that the Airbus has been deployed on the JFK route, this is no longer an option
CX handled both diversions fairly well - I was travelling in paid J both times. The first diversion we mis-connected to SIN. We were put on the next SQ flights and our bags were re-routed as well. In fact our bags were among the first off in SIN complete with CX Business, SQ Business and Star Alliance priority tags (none of which were on our bags when they left SAN).

The second time I was connecting on to BKK. I was re-routed to TG - no bag issues to deal with that time. The only issue I had both times is when I got my FIM, they were both in Y and both times I had to have it reissued to show J. I did not ask for compensation either time as they were both weather (strong headwinds) related.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by ak333
CX handled both diversions fairly well - I was travelling in paid J both times. The first diversion we mis-connected to SIN. We were put on the next SQ flights and our bags were re-routed as well. In fact our bags were among the first off in SIN complete with CX Business, SQ Business and Star Alliance priority tags (none of which were on our bags when they left SAN).

The second time I was connecting on to BKK. I was re-routed to TG - no bag issues to deal with that time. The only issue I had both times is when I got my FIM, they were both in Y and both times I had to have it reissued to show J. I did not ask for compensation either time as they were both weather (strong headwinds) related.
Very interesting...

I will be on my way for LAX-HKG on 881 in F with a connection immediately to BKK on CX713 next week. Judging from the flight stats recently, the LAX flights have been stoping in ICN for fuel and arriving in HKG later than scheduled.

Since 713 is the ONLY flight that has F service, I wonder what would CX do to route me....perhaps to TG or GF? The next CX flight to BKK doesn't even leave until 2PM.......
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Thank you for the replies. HKG is my final destination, so the connection issue does not matter. I am leaning toward the later flight because I think I may sleep better on the late flight.

Another question about seating, I am using AA miles for the trip and am only Marco Polo Green, can I still ask CX for pre-assigned seats or do I have to try my luck at the airport????
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I believe pre-assigned seating is still available for all J (& F) passengers.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:15 pm

Schedules

It seems that CX has been "intentionally" making the earlier LAX-HKG flight CX 883 to stop in ICN while the later CX 881 arrives "on time" in HKG. I wonder if it is because by delaying 883 the plane will still make it into HKG before 9:00AM and technically still sufficient for those passengers on board to make connections to SE Asia, while the 881 flight leave no such "cushion."

Perhaps CX loads more passengers (and more importantly, cargo) onto the 883 flight so that the 881 flight can make it to HKG w/o a stop......

Anyone familiar with CX operations can confirm this?

It seems rather odd that for a period of 3 days 883 has stopped in ICN while 881 arrived on time.....
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkc22
It seems that CX has been "intentionally" making the earlier LAX-HKG flight CX 883 to stop in ICN while the later CX 881 arrives "on time" in HKG. I wonder if it is because by delaying 883 the plane will still make it into HKG before 9:00AM and technically still sufficient for those passengers on board to make connections to SE Asia, while the 881 flight leave no such "cushion."

Perhaps CX loads more passengers (and more importantly, cargo) onto the 883 flight so that the 881 flight can make it to HKG w/o a stop......

Anyone familiar with CX operations can confirm this?

It seems rather odd that for a period of 3 days 883 has stopped in ICN while 881 arrived on time.....
That is odd, you may be on to something here. On the extra long 881 leg that I mentioned in the earlier post, I do recall the pilot making a pre-departure announcement along the lines of we have unloaded all "unneccessary" cargo and taken on as much fuel as we can (trip computer at that point was showing stop in Taipei - including on PTV screens... although we made it w/o stopping) perhaps they shoved it all onto 883.

We should keep monitering this and see if there is a pattern, in which case the answer to the OP question would be to take the later flight!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:57 pm

The Plot Thickens....

At this moment, on 12/9/04 at 22:51, by checking the CX departures/arrivals info on 883 and 881 respectively, it shows that for 883 there's a stop in ICN while 881 is "nonstop".......BOTH flights are schedules to arrive in HKG on 11/11 in the morning.

Code:
CX883  Los Angeles  Seoul/Incheon  11 Dec 
04:25 11 Dec 
04:19 -  Not Yet
Arrived   

CX883  Los Angeles  Hong Kong  11 Dec 
06:00 -  -  Cancelled   

CX883  Seoul/Incheon  Hong Kong  11 Dec 
06:00 11 Dec 
08:10 -  Not Yet
Arrived
While the departure shows:

Code:
   CX883  Los Angeles  Seoul/Incheon  09 Dec 
22:35 09 Dec 
22:35 -  Not Yet
Departed   

CX883  Los Angeles  Hong Kong  09 Dec 
22:35 -  -  Cancelled   

CX883  Seoul/Incheon  Hong Kong  11 Dec 
05:25 11 Dec 
05:25 -  Not Yet
Departed
For 881, the following applies.....

Code:
CX881  Los Angeles  Hong Kong  11 Dec 
07:40 11 Dec 
07:37 -  Not Yet
Arrived
So my question is.....how can CX KNOW at approximately 20mins before departure that 883 is going to need a refuel stop in ICN??? It seems to me it's INTENTIONALLY planned, while the 881 is planned to operate according to schedule.

The head-wind issue is there, but it cannot possibly be THAT different since the two flights are only 2 hours apart......

Any experts/insiders want to comment???

Last edited by jkc22; Dec 10, 2004 at 12:11 am
Old Dec 10, 2004, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkc22
So my question is.....how can CX KNOW at approximately 20mins before departure that 883 is going to need a refuel stop in ICN??? It seems to me it's INTENTIONALLY planned, while the 881 is planned to operate according to schedule.

The head-wind issue is there, but it cannot possibly be THAT different since the two flights are only 2 hours apart......

Any experts/insiders want to comment???
Indeed something is quite fishy about that. If it is TRUE, and CX is INDEED orchestrating this, then they might as well shuffle their timetables and make both flights depart within 20 min of each other if they want to time the flights for connections. They do this for the 2 night HKG-LHR flights, so I don't see why it can't be done.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by rejunivated
Indeed something is quite fishy about that. If it is TRUE, and CX is INDEED orchestrating this, then they might as well shuffle their timetables and make both flights depart within 20 min of each other if they want to time the flights for connections. They do this for the 2 night HKG-LHR flights, so I don't see why it can't be done.
Several reasons for CX to refuel 883:
1. Cargo offloaded from 881
2. Passengers on 883 can still make their connection in time if 883 needs refuel.

Why cannot 883 and 881 depart within 20 min?
It might a time-slot issue.

How does CX predict 883 needing refuel?
1. unable to get an economic cruise attitute
2. more payload
3. strong wind
4. more regional traffic into/intra Asia or west Pacific
Old Dec 10, 2004, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 5 MM
Back when passengers could actually have interaction with the flight deck (cockpit visits), I was able to spend quite a bit of time in the best seat in the house. Generally, when the plane is realeased, the long distance flights do not have enough fuel to fly to the destination with required reserves for the FAA types AND a 5% fudge factor in case winds are greater than forecast. As they fly toward the destination, the amount of extra (5% of anticiapted need) decreases as the amount of fuel needed to complete the trip is less.

So, to try to uncomplicate this:
Say the fuel required by regulations HKG-YYZ is 100,000 pounds. Cathay loads an extra 5,000 lbs of fuel, just in case. By the time they get to Vancouver, they need only 40,000 pounds to get to the destination. Their 5% reserve factor abour federal requirements would be 2000 lbs. The aircraft can use the 3000 lbs reserve that is now available to complete the trip to the actual destination.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Turbojet
Several reasons for CX to refuel 883:
1. Cargo offloaded from 881
2. Passengers on 883 can still make their connection in time if 883 needs refuel.

Why cannot 883 and 881 depart within 20 min?
It might a time-slot issue.

How does CX predict 883 needing refuel?
1. unable to get an economic cruise attitute
2. more payload
3. strong wind
4. more regional traffic into/intra Asia or west Pacific
Glad that I'm on 881 next Friday!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.