Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

When you see KL, you have 24 hours to call back ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium

If this has been the rule, then I just found out the hard way. On Friday I have flights from BRU-IAD-SFO. The IAD-SFO segment cleared for the upgrade. However, UA says that because I did not call back within 24 hours of the upgrade clearing, that they took the upgrade away from me. What?? My estimate is that the upgrade cleared sometime on Saturday. I did not check united.com (or my email) over the weekend. And, I also did not receive any telephone messages about this from UA, as they stated to me. However, because this morning My Itineraries was showing KL, I called.

Is this 24 hour rule real?

(I was using SWU's, and I have never run across this before).
Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My recent expriences have been different. BOS-SFO-NRT-BKK for November travel, using a SWU, BOS-SFO waitlisted Y-->F, other segments cleared previously or at ticketing. I received both an SMS and an email when BOS-SFO cleared. However I did not call in for a seat assignment for 7 days. I still had my upgrade, so no problems.

I know many people have mentioned this situation, possibly losing an upgrade by not calling to confirm within 24 hours, but I have never experienced it.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA-1P
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
If this has been the rule, then I just found out the hard way. On Friday I have flights from BRU-IAD-SFO. The IAD-SFO segment cleared for the upgrade. However, UA says that because I did not call back within 24 hours of the upgrade clearing, that they took the upgrade away from me. What?? My estimate is that the upgrade cleared sometime on Saturday. I did not check united.com (or my email) over the weekend. And, I also did not receive any telephone messages about this from UA, as they stated to me. However, because this morning My Itineraries was showing KL, I called.

Is this 24 hour rule real?

(I was using SWU's, and I have never run across this before).

There are no hard and fast rules regarding this. From sources, the KL can stay in there till dept date and sometimes it goes to the DL (deferred from list) no longer confirmed. I would think if you are the only waitlisted for a segment, it would say in there. If you were one of many on the list it would kick you down to DL. But I did not think UA has a policy regarding this holding of the KL for a certain 24 hour time frame.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
Nice of 'em to post it in your itinerary then take it away. I don't trust 'em, if I'm WL then I check via website or call once a day. I figured if they didn't tell me it cleared they wouldn't tell me it didn't.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
This upgrading stuff is new to me. I recently purchased tickets and requested upgrades for a flight this weekend. Is there something I have to be checking so that if I get it I can keep it? I thought this would be an automatic thing. Please elaborate if you have a second.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:37 pm

Programs: Canadi>n Plus: President's Club (expired)
I haven't seen any KL in My Itineraries for a while now. In the last few months, my waitlisted upgrades that became confirmed all show "Flight: Confirmed SSR_MP_KK" in the 'Airline/status' column, and "Cabin: Upgraded [business|first] class" in the 'Class/seats' column. No indication for me to call and confirm. I thought the SSR_MP_KK mean I get an SSSS in my boarding pass, but this wasn't the case.

TJQuill, I think it is recommended that you check your upgrade status on My Itineraries once a day. You can have Easy Update ring or e-mail you, but it isn't always reliable.

Last edited by Yoosh; Sep 30, 2004 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:52 pm

Location: Originally Scotland, then lots of places, now Seattle
One of my pet peeves

This happened to me multiple times when I was still flying UA. On one occasion, not only did I lose a LHR-ORD upgrade because I didn't call back within 24 hours, I also got an earful of attitude from the agent I spoke to when I did return the call. She thought it was reasonable to expect me to check my voicemail/e-mail at least once a day from Ethiopia, where I'd been for 3 weeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.