Wiki Posts
Search

Review - Mercure Saint Malo Balmoral

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Mercure Saint Malo Balmoral

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

24 rue Théodore Monod Saint Malo, FR 35400

Review - Mercure Saint Malo Balmoral (10 Photos)

A very good stay in this hotel open for 5 or 6 years, but was under the Best Western wing and joined Accor a couple of months ago. A welcomed move as this is definitely the best Accor address in town. 

The hotel has a very modern look and everything is in perfect condition. The staff was very kind and professionnal. You really appreciate the Accor «Feel Welcome» there. Staff was most of the time calling me by my name, despite it was the 1st time I was staying there.

Check In

Prompt check-in and I was clearly expected with the drink voucher ready next to the computer. Drink voucher was valid for soft drinks, beer and wine.

I booked Privilege room and go that (hotel fully booked or close to). The privilege room comes with bathrobes, slippers, a Nespresso machine and free minibar (soft drinks). 

View of the lobby and bar area

IMG_2518.JPG

Room

The room was large with a double bed, a balcony (not used as it was literally freezing cold in St Malo during the new year, with negative temperatures), a safety box. The bathroom had a rain shower.

The only « bad » thing I could report is that I found the mattress a bit too hard. I told them at check-out and they said they were surprised of this remark because the bed of the privilege room has an overmatress. I have sincerely no idea if this overmatress was present or not, but if it was there, it is not a very good one. 

Some friends were staying at the same time in a family room, which is a kind of junior suite which can accomodate up to 2 adults and 3 children. This room was very nice too with a lot of windows and so plenty of natural light. Their bathroom had both a rain shower and a bath tub.

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

Dining

There is no restaurant for lunch or dinner in the hotel but several hot dishes (microwaved) are available for consumption at the bar or in-room. The menu is displayed in the room offers a decent choice. Of course to be considered only if you get late or if the weather is horrible and you don't want to go out, because otherwise there are plenty of excellent food options in this beautiful town of St Malo.

The breakfast buffet is decent. I would say a typical Mercure buffet with good quality products and a very nice staff taking care of the service.

It is conveniently located right in front of the train station. Sea side and intra-muros are at walking distance, although for this, the other Mercure (front de mer) has a better location.

There is no hotel parking, but there is a small (free) lot behind and you find easily a spot in the streets around.

Overall

Overall a very good stay. I will definitely return as I liked the style, the large rooms and the quality of service.

Would you like to write a review on the Mercure Saint Malo Balmoral?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Very nice rooms ^
St Malo in winter... how was it?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
St Malo in winter... how was it?
Usually at new year, it's between 5-10 degrees (Celsius) with a mix of sunny and cloudy days (as usual in northern Brittany). But this year was very very cold (I have never felt so cold there), as in the rest of the country, including Paris. A lot of morning and evening fog too this year.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

2nd stay a less good one

I just stayed a 2nd time in this hotel (2 rooms booked). The hotel is still good but I encountered a significant cleanliness issue in the bathroom. I checked-in late (around 23:30) and around midnight using the bathroom, I noticed some hairs in the sink. Oh not good but certainly not the end of the world. The following morning, about to take a shower, I then noticed that the walk-in shower was full of hairs and body hairs (I didn't notice it when I arrived). I attach here some pictures even if it's not easy to distinguish without extending (zooming). Disgusting
I of course advised the front desk. Plenty of apologies received. The manager on-duty told me at that time that a commercial gesture would be done on the bill (which was done at check-out). The bathroom was of course cleaned afterwards.
Also to mention that the drink voucher was not spontaneously given (had to request it at the same time as my bathroom complaint). No upgrade provided (but I am not sure one was even possible).

I consider this as a kind of "accident" and the hotel is still a good one with nice rooms, but they move from my "trusted hotel green list" to my "orange hotels list -under surveillance"...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Goldorak; Jan 27, 2018 at 1:23 am Reason: to add that a commercial gesture was indeed applied at check-out for the price of the 2nd night
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I just stayed a 2nd time in this hotel (2 rooms booked). The hotel is still good but I encountered a significant cleanliness issue in the bathroom. I checked-in late (around 23:30) and around midnight using the bathroom, I noticed some hairs in the sink. Oh not good but certainly not the end of the world. The following morning, about to take a shower, I then noticed that the walk-in shower was full of hairs and body hairs (I didn't notice it when I arrived). I attach here some pictures even if it's not easy to distinguish without extending (zooming). Disgusting
I of course advised the front desk. Plenty of apologies received. The manager on-duty told me at that time that a commercial gesture would be done on the bill (which was not done at check-out - another person was on-duty at the front desk the next day, and I didn't say anything as I don't like to beg for things). The bathroom was of course cleaned afterwards.
Also to mention that the drink voucher was not spontaneously given (had to request it at the same time as my bathroom complaint). No upgrade provided (but I am not sure one was even possible).

I consider this as a kind of "accident" and the hotel is still a good one with nice rooms, but they move from my "trusted hotel green list" to my "orange hotels list -under surveillance"...
Good grief, that is just vile. I would have expected not to pay for the night.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I had another recent stay in this hotel. A very good one without incident. No upgrade possible as I always book the privilege room. Staff at front desk was very nice and always calling me by my name when passing in the lobby.
Nice modern rooms, good breakfast. Nothing to complain about.
This confirms that the problem I had for my previous stay was just an unfortunate incident. This hotel is back to my green list of trusted hotels
starflyergold likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Fourth stay there (3 nights). Very good as usual. Staff very nice and caring.
Rooms in excellent conditions, quiet and comfortable. Early check-in at 10 am was granted (I emailed the hotel the day before). Still a very recommendable Accor address in St Malo.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Not much more to say for another stay at this hotel over the NY period. 4 nights. New GM and front desk team. As good as before. Rooms still in excellent conditions. Room upgrade & drink voucher OK. Still my Accor address of choice in this lovely town.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I stayed another 5 nights there during the Ascension long break. France was not anymore in lockdown at that period, but still under curfew from 7 pm and restaurants closed.
Not a lot to report apart that the hotel is still good. Unfortunately, this hotel has joined the club of no housekeeping at all during Covid, even if you ask .
But they are happy to refill the nespresso capsules and minibar if you ask.
Welcome gift was 3 small local honey pots
Upgrade consisted in providing the Privilege amenities (bathrobe, slippers, etc). Welcome drink can be ordered at the bar but you needed to take the drink back to your room.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I stayed 5 nights at Mercure St Malo Balmoral over the new year period. No more Covid "for your safety" craziness around. Good stay. upgraded from Superior to Privilge room. Nothing special to say as I have reviewed this hotel several times. No problem encountered at all. Proactive and nice service, good staff. Still a very recommendable Mercure with rooms in very good conditions.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I stayed again at this hotel for 5 nights over the new year. This hotel remains very good. Nothing to complain about. I got the usual upgrade to Privilege room. The only thing I would mention is that they didn’t give a welcome amenity this time, while they were giving one during all my previous stays. It seems they are now following the French trend, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.