MGallery Hotel Am Konzerthaus, Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
MGallery Hotel Am Konzerthaus, Vienna

This was my first visit to the MGallery Am Konzerthaus Hotel. The hotel is centrally located and has easy access to city centre.

Check in was a real pleasure. Staff welcomed me and asked if this was my first stay here and hoped that it won't be the last. Before I could say anything they said they had upgraded me due to my A-Club status. The room (601) was large and comfortable. A personalised welcome gift was already waiting for me in the room (chocolates). The decor looks a little bit dated and was further accentuated by the patterned carpet but the bed was very comfortable. Internet was free and high speed which was a definite plus. Free water and a Nespresso machine with more chocolates were a nice touch.

The only small gripe was that the air condition was not very powerful (it was an unseasonably warm November weekend).

The bathroom was spotless and featured a wide array of L'Occitane en Provence toiletries.

Breakfast was not included in my rate but was reasonably priced at €17. A good choice of hot and cold options.

Verdict: A very good midrange hotel with an exceptional approach to service. The biggest asset of the hotel are its staff who were outstanding throughout.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Any updates on this property?

Tripadvisor reviews suggest the size of the restaurant/breakfast room is insufficient.

What about status recognition? (The info in the parent is very old.)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Any updates on this property?

Tripadvisor reviews suggest the size of the restaurant/breakfast room is insufficient.

What about status recognition? (The info in the parent is very old.)
i stayed there for 5 nights last year (7-12 feb 2017)

the hotel itself is a compact size hotel, i think the restaurant size consider not bad.

status recognition was good (platinum), welcome drink, welcome amenities, free minibar & refill everyday, evening turn down service providing tea-bag and chocolates, but no room upgrade for my trip.

nespresso machine, biscuits

free minibar for platinum member, refill daily

superior room

welcome amenities and card

superior room

bigelow toiletries

sending these during evening turndown service, daily. (tea bags, mashmallow, chocolates, )

weather info card with nextday forecast, provided during evening turndown service

pillow menu
starflyergold, cowism, IMH and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Thanks a lot for adding your review!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by jiunsoh
no room upgrade for my trip
It appears you booked / got a Deluxe Room, this is their highest category. The hotel features a rather egalitarian selection of rooms, differing only by size and bed configuration. The corner rooms (with the obtuse angle) are the Deluxe ones purely by merit of extra space. The amenities and features are the same across all rooms, which means more than adequate.

If you (dear FT readers) happen to stay there, make sure to ask for eggs made to order. This is not clearly advertised or actively promoted by the staff, as the breakfast room is often beleaguered by upscale tourist groups, but on request they will whip up an omelette - or Viennesse eggs - worth the extra wait.
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Mgallery Hotel am Konzerthaus Vienna

Hotel Am Konzerthaus Vienna - MGallery Collection

Am Heumarkt 35-37 Vienna, AT 1030

Mgallery Hotel am Konzerthaus Vienna (15 Photos)

Hotel Am Konzerthaus Vienna - MGallery Collection

Almost 8 years after my first stay at this hotel I returned twice within a month. This is a summary review of both stays, one absolutely awful and one relatively ok.

The hotel have started some renovations. The common areas had a nice make over and the restaurant/bar has been updated. The rooms eventually will be renovated but when I asked when that might be the staff said there were no concrete plans as of yet.

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

Check In

Check in in both cass was swift. No need to fill in any forms, no credit card swipes. The first stay included an upgrade, the second one was already booked into the best category.

Room

Both rooms were a deluxe room on the top floor, the best in the house. Most other hotels would call them a junior suite. Large but exactly as they were 8 years ago (and they were dated already then). The carpet and furniture seriously show their age. The bed was very comfortable. The room also featured a desk, two sofas with a coffee table each. A mini bar and Nespresso machine were also on offer.

The bathrooms are small and dated too. Toiletries were Bigelow (the more frequently I see them the less I am impressed by this brand).

IMG_8459.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG

Service

Service was very mixed. During the first stay I returned to the room after the first night only to discover that it had only partially cleaned. The bed was made but nothing lese, no bins empty, no vacuuming, no cleaning of the bathroom. Totally unacceptable.

The bar and restaurant staff and front desk staff were friendly, though nowhere near as good as during my first stay at the hotel, all those years ago.

Dining

Again mixed. The hotel caters to large tourist groups and the facilities cannot cope. During the first stay people were queuing the entire length of the long corridor to the restaurant for breakfast. If you expect that many people for breakfast be creative. Offer your guests breakfast in the room. But alas no warning. When I complained they sent some quick continental breakfast up.

5c34c7fd-1a6d-4a14-a9c2-bd2d5817f197.JPG

I tried the upgraded restaurant after reading a local review, apparently the chef has aspirations and it did not disappoint. The food was lovely, not cheap but very nicely presented and tasty. The staff were a little overbearing.

IMG_8524.JPG

IMG_8525.JPG

2_IMG_8526.JPG

The location is central. The CAT airport train is a 12 minute walk away and the Stephans Cathedral is about 10 minutes. A taxi rank is right outside but I recommend Uber as taxis aren't cheap in Vienna.

Elite experience

Drinks voucher was handed over on both occasions, and no funny limits. Some nice G&Ts were had.

The welcome amenity was a selection of sweets and a small gift each time. I liked the duck ;)

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

Overall

This hotel shows up the problem with Accor's branding and their standards. Many moons ago this used to be the local Sofitel. Then, not being up to standard, it was demoted to MGallery. The new Sofitel, now a /SO, stole the show. Now MGallery is called MGallery by Sofitel but this hotel, not renovated, clearly does not deserve to be called anything "by Sofitel". Once they have completed their renovations maybe but at the moment it is the same tired hotel I stayed in 8 years ago. The common areas look nice, maybe there is hope once the rooms are done.... whenever that might be.

The problems encountered, lack of cleaning and crowd control at breakfast, were serious during the first stay, the second one was better but the crowd problem was still there, just less extreme.

Would I return? Not sure. The /So has upped prices after the rebranding so for the moment I am sitting on the fence.

Mgallery Hotel am Konzerthaus Vienna

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Am Konzerthaus Vienna - MGallery Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I was considering this hotel for a stay in Vienna, but after reading you, it's a nogo...
Thanks for writing it.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:46 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am there right now. While yes the room does look dated, the place is nice and I like my Superior room. I was given some macarons and chocolates as a welcome gift, plus premium internet and drink voucher. The room is spotless, with free coffee, tea and water, I also got an early checkin easily.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:49 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Thanks for the reviews! That duck is awesome.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:38 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I had a one night stay and liked it, despite the dated room and the crowded breakfast, nothing to complain. The turndown service was excellent:

Eye mask and ear plugs provided, info card with the weather forecast for the next day, an herbal tea as well as a can of Snooze, an herbal drink.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Stayed here recently for 2 nights. Looks like I received exactly the same room as post #6 .

Status recognition was great - received the upgraded room #702 . Also received welcome drink vouchers which can be used for a drink up to €30 each which I thought was very generous. You can’t redeem for bottle of wine though. Also received a box of chocolates and late checkout.

The coffee machine was a Nespresso copy now.

The negative: this room can hear the whirring of the lift constantly. I don’t know if this is only on the top floor or whether it occurs throughout the hotel. The provided ear plugs do block out the sound. Not sure if this is the reason they are provided as I couldn’t hear any street noise.

This hotel was good value for the price - but the lift noise took the shine off a decent hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Update July 2021

Here comes an update on this property after it's been renovated. I was last there two years ago and the rooms were really showing their age, the bathroom particularly was in a very bad state. It's much better now and it's an excellent 4 star hotel.

The lobby was already renovated 2 years ago and looks very nice:

The hallways have been renovated too.

As a Gold member, I got a one category upgrade to a Deluxe room on the top floor, which looks completely different now. The carpet is gone, the Klimt is gone... The room isn't very large, but large enough. If you want more space, they have junior suites and suites now as well. Soundproofing is excellent, but it's not a very noisy street anyway.

Bathroom looks much better now, even though it's quite small. The bathtub has been replaced by a shower (including a rain shower) and CO Bigelow amenities replaced by L'Occitane in larger dispensers.

Because of the pandemic some items (like the coffee machine) are missing from the room and have to be ordered to be put back into the room. I had written to the hotel prior to arrival to put all the items in the room and everything was there when I arrived.

Also, because of the pandemic, the minibar is empty, but you can call the reception if you want anything and they will bring it to your room. And again because of the pandemic there is no turndown service, which used to be excellent in this hotel and I really miss it.

Service was really good, the staff are very nice and polite. At check-in we were provided with cold wet towels for refreshment and a welcome drink voucher for 2 people (valid for soft drinks, beer and wine). Welcome amenity was waiting for us in the room. It's the same box of chocolates as before, but now there is also a surprise in the minibar - a small bottle of sparkling wine.

Breakfast was good, although I expected a larger spread. I've seen more items in Mercures. However, the quality was very good and there was an egg station where you could order omelettes and the like.
The restaurant is still quite small so it gets very busy very quickly. When we arrived at 7.30, there was already only one table left. This, combined with the price of the breakfast, the underwhelming selection of items, is why I will probably have breakfast somewhere else in the future (unless there is a good deal including breakfast).

To sum up: this is now a very decent 4-star hotel, with freshly renovated rooms and very nice staff. I felt really good there and this will be my go to hotel in Vienna from now on as I personally find SO/ Vienna a bit overrated and a lot overpriced. The location couldn't be better, it's close to everything: you can walk to the city centre, the MuseumsQuartier and the Mariahilferstrasse. The only thing I'm missing is that amazing view that you get in SO/ Vienna, but you can't have everything.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Excellent EcotoneHR. Thanks for the review. I haven't been in Vienna a for ages and when I return, this will be my hotel
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:30 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Looks like they did a nice job on the rooms. Thanks EcotoneHR
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Thank you for the review, my old Viennesse favourite just got even more enticing! I will miss the Klimt, but ample supplies of L'Occitane will make up for it a bit - too bad it's not a triumphant return of Roger & Gallet though
EcotoneHR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.