Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The duo's short trip to Asia (UA/BR/TG/OZ in C) with pics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
The duo's short trip to Asia (LAX NRT TPE HKG ICN SFO on UA/BR/TG/OZ in C) with pics

Here is a trip report for our journey LAX (UA) NRT (UA) TPE (TG) HKG (TG) ICN (OZ) SFO in C, except for the NRT TPE sector when we got misconnected and ended up in BR Y.

LAX NRT
UA 891
B744
Seat 15A and 15B (United Business)

After a swift check in and security process, we arrived into the RCC for a drink before departure. The flight was now delayed for over an hour. We were informed that instead of using the HKG inbound aircraft, we will be taking the SYD inbound aircraft, which arrives into LAX an hour later than the HKG flight.

Upon entering the RCC, we were surprised that it was not super packed for the 2 B747 departures (HKG & NRT). However, we also realized that we did not pick up our drink chits on the way in. So, we had to go back to the front desk to ask for some. During that time, we ran into a FTer and had a nice chat with him before finally leaving for the RCC when boarding was almost ready to commence.

Picture of the RCC

The gate was a complete madness. It is not surprising because we were boarding out of gate 76, while the HKG flight was boarding out of gate 77. However, it was certainly much better once we boarded. We were seated in the upper deck at row 15 (the exit row). The extra area that we got was certainly much appreciated. Pre-departure beverage, slippers and amentity pack were distributed.

Legroom for row 15
View of the upper deck from row 15

We probably ended up leaving the gate 1.75 hours late. Although we had a 2-hour connection at NRT, we were not particularly worried because of favorable wind. However, you can just sense that the BKK/SIN passengers were getting a bit anxious. It took quite a while to taxi to the runway. As we were in the queue waiting for our turn to take off, the classic “ding dong” sound came on, indicating the FAs need to pick up the phone. It certainly was not a good sign. The pilot then came on the PA to inform us that one of the passengers left his passport in the duty free store. Therefore, we had to return to gate, offloaded the pax and his bags.

Once we were at gate, the FAs offered us a turkey sandwich and a glass of juice while we waited for all the formalities to be taken care of. The FAs and pilots did a good job in informing us the progress. There were certainly complaints from the passengers, especially with 42 of them trying to catch the SIN connection.

The whole ordeal ended up taking around an hour. We finally took off with an estimated arrival time of 18:40 into NRT. Our flight for TPE was due to leave NRT sat 18:20. So, we were prepared to overnight in NRT. But, we were also optimistic that we would be accommodated on to a different TPE flight that was due to leave later that evening.

After all these drama, we were glad that we were finally in air. We were soon offered a drink with warm nuts, with seconds offered. We have preordered our Washoku-zen meal and it was very good. The presentation was slightly better than the obento meal. However, similar to the obento meal, the appetizers are always fantastic, while the main course was good but not spectacular. However, I certainly prefer it over the western meal. Here is the menu:

Beverage service with nuts

to begin
Sauteed herbed shrimp, prosciutto ham and fresh fruit
Kalamata olive sauce

Fresh seasonal greens
Buttermilk ranch or balsamic Dijon vinaigrette

main course
Pan-seared filet mignon with green peppercorn sauce
Fingerling potatoes and sautéed zucchini and carrots and corn

Shrimp and scallops with ginger, garlic, spring onion sauce
Steamed rice and green beans, carrots and corn

Washoku zen selection
Appetizers of barbecued eel in layered eggs, grilled scallop,
lime-flavored beef tenderloin, shrimp with vegetable sushi rice,
poached tuna with karashi miso, steamed leeks,
buckwheat soba noodles with marinated Japanese vegetables

A main course of salmon teriyaki, braised tofu,
simmered shiitake mushroom and daikon, green beans, fresh julienne ginger
served with steamed rice and Japanese pickled vegetable

Served with green tea
Items in this meal may contain traces of MSG

dessert

International cheese selection
Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar, Port-Salut

Eli’s Crčme Caramel Cheesecake

midflight snack
Sandwiches, Ghirardelli chocolate and other assorted snacks
Hot noodles are available upon request

prior to arrival
Beef pastsrami on pretzel roll
Herb and garlic russet potatoes

or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

After the main was cleared away, dessert and tea/coffee were coffered. I managed to watch 3 out of the 7 movies offered and slept a little bit. The upper deck was staffed with a LAX-based FA and an NRT-based FA. They were very friendly. The NRT based crew actually offered me tons of advice on what to do in case that we had to overnight in NRT. The LAX based FA and I chatted quite a bit about random stuff while we were making our Pacific crossing.

We were offered our second meal when we were 1.5 hours out of NRT. We had the sandwich. The fruit that came with the sandwich was very refreshing while the sandwich was very well seasoned.

As we were descending, the purser announced that all the passengers connecting to SIN and BKK will have to overnight in NRT, while passengers to TPE will be rebooked on Eva Air and passengers to ICN rebooked on Asiana. I was excited that that we would make it to TPE that night and also be able to sample an airline that I have never flown, however I know that there is no way that we will be rebooked in C as an NC passenger. Since the NRT TPE flight is going to be 3.5 hours, I could certainly survive that in Y.

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 21, 2008 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

NRT

Once we departed the aircraft, a crew of ground staff was already waiting for us with our tickets ready (as expected, we were rebooked in Y). After rounding up all the TPE passengers, we were led by the UA ground staff through security check. We were then given our boarding pass when we arrived at the gate. It was covered with Hello Kitties. That peaked my curiosity to check out the aircraft, of course, it was the famous Eva Air Hello Kitty livery.

NRT TPE
BR 2195 (EVA air Economy Class)
A330

Once we boarded the aircraft, we noticed that everything is in Hello Kitty theme. The welcoming video coming from our AVOD screen has Hello Kitty dancing around, welcoming us onboard. There are also Hello Kitty themed amenities in the bathroom also. The flight was not full at all, even after they accommodated approximately 20 of us who misconnected from the UA.

Once we were airborne, we were given a meal with a limited choice of drinks (water, juices, coke, beer or carton wine, kinda like box wine in the form of a juice carton). The meal was quite nice and, of course, Hello Kitty based also. A beverage (again limited choices) and nuts were offered an hour before arriving into TPE. We arrived into NRT a little bit before midnight and the airport was practically deserted by that time. It took us 15 minutes to get from aircraft to luggage claim. The only luggage that was available at the carousel was the ones from the UA NRT flight (as our connection onto the BR flight in NRT was kind of tight, so I can imagine that our bags were loaded last)

Picture of the dinner

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Taipei

The cab ride was took us 1200 NTD (~35 USD) into downtown and we checked into our hotel room at Sheraton Taipei. The room was quite spacious and nice. It was also very convenient as we are only 2 minutes away from the MRT station and it was within walking distance (maybe 15 minutes) to the Taipei Central Station.

Here are some pictures that we took on our 2-day stay in Taipei.

Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall

Din Tai Fung
Sun Yat Sin Memorial Hall
Taipei 101
Shilin Night Hotel
Tong Shan Temple
Bao On Temple
Grand Hotel
National Palace Museum

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

TPE

We arrived into TPE at approximately 05:30 and we had to wait a few minutes for the check-in counter to open. The check-in process was swift. The only weird thing is that she refused to give us BP for our HKG ICN leg once she found out that we will be going in town during our connection in HKG. We were also offered lounge access to the TG lounge, which is before immigration. Worrying that security/immigration would take too long and knowing that there is going to be a SKL post immigration/security, we decided to go through immigration and security right away. However, the whole process could not have taken more than 5 minutes.

The SKL was only a 10-minute brisk walk from terminal B (our TG gate) to terminal D (SKL). We also walked past an orchid garden and a Hello Kitty land. Terminal D is also a prettier terminal. The SKL was quite nice. Food offerings include garlic bread, cup noodles, fried eggs, assorted Chinese steamed buns and a small selection of alcohol. There are also computers for internet access.

Picture of SKL
Picture of the gate area

TPE HKG
TG 631
A330
Seat 14A and 14B (Royal Silk Class)

After the walk to go back to the gate, it was boarding time. J/Y passengers were boarded through separate doors. J was almost full today. Once we were boarded, pre departure beverage (assorted juices, water and champagne) and hotel towels (without the nice scent) were offered. However, no menus were given.

The flight to HKG was only 1 hour and 55 minutes. It was quite impressive to observe a crew trying to feed 20+ people a breakfast in that short period of time. We had a choice of Chinese congee with wild mushroom, Chinese sausage with fried rice and something else (it ran out before the FAs got to us). The meal was quite tasty and bread basket was offered twice. After the meal tray was cleared away, we were descending into HKG already.

Pre-departure beverage

Legroom on a Thai A330
Breakfast tray with congee
Chinese sausage with fried rice
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

HKG

We had less than 6 hours in HKG, so we spent most of our time in T2 shopping and eating. T2 in HKG is a new terminal, dedicated for extra check-in counters and shopping facilities. I still prefer the design of T1 better as it feels more airy and open, but the theme between T1 and T2 are quite similar. Since there are much less passengers checking in T2, the lines for immigration and security are much shorter than T1’s, not that it’s that long to begin with in T1. Once all the formalities are completed, all passengers will take a train and it will arrive at the platform where T1 pax would take the train to go gate 40 or higher. So, pax coming from T2 will only need go to the opposite platform as you deboarded the first train to get to the gate 40-80.

Picture of T2 #1
Picture of T2 #2
Christmas Tree at gate 36

We went and used the TG lounge. It was a bit busy as there are 2 TG flight and an AC flight leaving at that hour. The snacks were, as always, quite good, including a few hot and cold items, prawn crackers (my favorite) and 10-ish choices of alcohol beverages. There are also computers for Internet and comfy massage chairs.

Picture of TG lounge

View of HKG from TG lounge

HKG ICN
TG 628
A330
Seat 15A and 15B (Royal Silk Class)

We started heading to the gate as boarding was called in the ROP lounge. When we arrived at the gate, there was no line for J pax, while the Y line was a bit long. As we arrived into the aircraft, we realized that we were the only people who boarded (in fact, there were only 8 of us in the J cabin that day). It certainly felt very comfortable and exclusive. We were very well taken care of. A pre-departure beverage, hot towel and menu (with a separate drink menu) were offered.

Cabin View for Thai Royal Silk Class (A330)

Pre-departure beverage

Very soon after take-off, a beverage of our choice was delivered with a packet of almond. After that, lunch was served. No cart was used for this flight, probably because of the low number of people on this flight. The appetizer was very delicious (yummy tandoori shrimp and ripe mango). The curry was spicy and tasty. The meal was concluded with ice-cream and some tea.

Cocktail with a packet of almonds

There was no AVOD on this flight but the seat was comfy enough for a regional flight (probably not for an overnight flight). But, I never really got the footrest figured out. After the meal and a movie, it was time to descend into ICN.

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Menu for TG 628 HKG ICN in J

First Course
Prawn Tandoori, Mixed Green Salad

Main Course

Lamb Stew with Okra
Deep-fried Potatoes with Rosemary, Sauteed Vegetables
or
Roast Duck with Plum Sauce
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Choy Sum, Carrot
Braised Mushroom in Oyster Sauce
or
Stir-fried Chicken and String Bean with Red Curry Paste
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Sauteed vegetables

Assorted Breads, Crackers, Butter Cheese

Dessert
Vanilla Ice Cream

Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino

Wine List
Champagne
Champagne Demilly De Baere

Red Wine
Chateau Robin Cotes De Castillon 2003
Mercurey Domaine Michel Juillot 2004

White Wine
Tokay Pinot Gris Michel Nartz 2003
Chateau Thieuley 2006
Rully Village Vincent Girardin 2004
Chateau De Maligny 2006

Aperitifs
Campari
Gin Martini
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Black Russian
Vodka Martini
Warre's Warrior Port

Spirits
Bacardi Rum
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Jack Daniel's Bourbon
Johnnie Walker Gold Label
Chivas Regal Gold Signature 18 years
Glenfiddich... Ancient Reserve Single Malt Whisky

Cognac & Liquers
Kahlua
Drambuie
Remy Martin X.O.
Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge

Beers
Heineken
Chang beer
Singha Beer
*Sapporo Beer
*Asahi Beer

Soft Drinks
Fruit juices
Diet Soft Drinks
A Range of Soft Drinks
*Japanese Sake Junmai Dai Gin-Jo "Kubota Manju"

Beverages
Espresso
Cappuccino
Instant Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Special Blended Coffee
Oolong Tea
Ceylon High Tea
Japanese Green Tea
Ovaltine

* Available only on BKK-NRT-BKK

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:34 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Seoul

Our flight parked at the end of the terminal. But, the hike was not that long and the immigration process was quite swift. Our bags were one of the first to come out and we were on our way to take the KAL limousine bus to head to downtown Seoul. The bus ride was comfortable and there was plenty of space for everyone. The price (14000 KRW, 14 USD) was also quite economical. It took probably an hour-ish to get to downtown Seoul. But, the traffic jam was horrible and we did not get to our hotel until maybe 2 hours after we boarded the bus.

The room at IC COEX was nice as we got a very good view. However, the décor in the room looked a bit dowdy. The next day we visited the Kukkiwon before it was time to head back to ICN for the flight to go back to America. In retrospect, we should have stayed at the IC proper instead (it was just a bit more expensive than IC COEX). However, it would put us closer to the KCAT (Korea Ciry Air Terminal) and also the subway station.

Check-in at the OZ counter was uneventful. We then went through immigration and security. Shoes need to be removed for passengers heading to the US. However, the liquid check did not happen until at the gate. We decided to go for a bit of lounge hopping.

First, it was the SKL. The lounge was very quiet and very few people were there. The food selection was quite alright. There were some finger sandwiches, cup noodles and some hot food iterms (curry, fried noodles and something else). Beer was available in the fridge. For the other alcoholic beverages, we would have to go to the bar, which is located almost to the other side of the lounge. But, I certainly loved the exclusivity and tranquility of the lounge.

SKL ICN

Then, we went to the OZ lounge. It was the same size as the SKL, but with a lot more passengers using it. The food and beverage selection were a bit more limited than the SKL. However, there are 4 showers available at the OZ lounge and it was supplied with plenty of amenities. One thing to note is that the ground staff uniform is white in color and it is much prettier than the brown ones that the FA wears.

ICN SFO
OZ214
B777 (new seat and AVOD)
Seat 4A and 4C (Business)

We were once again boarded through a separate door onto the plane. The FA came by to offer us some pre-departure beverage (champagne, orange juice and water).

Pre-departure beverage
AVOD screen
B777 business cabin

After take off, the FAs came by and took our drink orders along with our meal orders. The FAs were very ready to remove the menus from us. We asked to have ours kept as a souvenir and our request was granted. However, they try very hard to snatch it away from us every single time when one of them came by. I ended up having to stow it into my carry on to prevent them from removing the menu from me.

The dinner served was very delicious. We had a chance to sample both the Korean and the western meal. The ssam bap was very good. The western meal was quite fantastic also. Wine was refilled constantly. There were so much food that we were very stuffed when the dessert came around.

Our aircraft today was equipped with AVOD and the TV screen wa huge. The seat was slanted flat. I found the padding a bit thin. Nevertheless, it was quite comfy and I had a very good nap on it (I never had a problem with slotted seats).

The second meal was served 2 hours before arrival. The bulgogi that I ordered was quite delicious while the congee was very blend. The fruit plate was fresh and delightful. I did enjoy the flight and the service provided by the FAs were very professional and polished with their service (from the way they present the wine to us to the way they made tea). However, I find them very boring and not particularly caring. After the meal service, I was just reading a magazine at the bar area. When the FAs passed by, they never even approached to see whether I needed anything. I did have to flag one of them down to ask for a beverage. They were certainly competent, but not friendly.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Menu for OZ 214 ICN SFO in J

Dinner Menu (ICN SFO)

Western
Selection of Canape
Butterfly Prawn
Campo Frio Salami & Asparagus
Cream Cheese & Hazelnut

Appetizer
Boiled Prawn in Orange Cup
Smoked Salmon Rose & Se-Son-I Mushroom

Mixed Garden Salad
Served with French Dressing

Main Course
Beef Tenderloin Steak
Served with Black Mushroom Sauce
Accompanied by Roasted Chateau Potato and Asparagus

or

Poached Sole
Served with Cream Chive Sauce
Accompanied by Potato, Boiled Broccoli and Carrot

Assorted Cheese and Fresh Fruit

Dessert
Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Sauce

Coffee & Tea

Assorted Petit Fours

We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments throughout flight upon your request

Sandwiches
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Hot Ramen

Korean

For your pleasure, we serve traditional 'Korean Cuisine'

Selection of Canape
Butterfly Prawn
Campo Frio Salami & Asparagus
Cream Cheese & Hazelnut

Main Course

Nutritious Korean Cuisine 'Ssam-Bab'
Steamed Rice Wrapped with Various Kinds of Vegetables
Topped with Grilled Beef 'Bul-Go-Gi' and *Bean Paste.

*Bean Paste: Contains various nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pine nuts, etc)
Those with allergies should be careful.

Dessert
Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Sauce

Coffee & Tea

Assorted Petit Fours

We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments
throughout flight upon your request

Sandwiches
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Hot Ramen

Breakfast

Fresh Fruit Appetizer

Fruit flavored Yoghurt

Main Course

Plain Omelet
Accompanied by Potato, Asparagus, Chicken Kebab and Sausage

or

Grilled Beef Tenderloin Bul-Go-Gi
Served with Bulgogi Sauce
Accompanied by Pimento, Mushroom and Steamed Rice

or
Korean 'Broccoli & Bay Shrimp Porridge'

Croissant, Muffin, Danish Pastry
Served with Butter and Jam

Coffee & Tea

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Just for fun, here is the return flight menu

Lunch (SFO ICN)

Western

Selection of Canape

Goat Cheese with Spinach
Smoked Salmon Tartar
Smoked Trout with Horseradish Cream

Appetizer
Smoked Salmon on Lettuce
Vegetable Pate on Lobster Tail Meat

Mixed Garden Salad
Served with French Dressing

Main Course

Beef Tenderloin Steak
Served with Mushroom Sauce
Accompanied by Potato, Carrot and Green Bean

or
Stir Fried Seafood
Accompanied by Vegetable Fried Rice and Broccoli

Dessert

Almond Cake

Coffee & Tea

Assorted Petit Fours

We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments throughout flight upon your request

Sandwiches
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Hot Ramen

Korean

For your pleasure, we serve traditional 'Korean Cuisine'

Selection of Canape
Goat Cheese with Spinach
Smoked Salmon Tartar
Smoked Trout with Horseradish Cream

'Mixing and Harmonizing"
A Famous Korean Cuisine 'Bi-Bim-Bab'
Steamed Rice Mixed with Various Kinds of Vegetables
Accompanied by Hot Pepper Paste, Sesame Oil
Assorted Side Dishes and Soup

Dessert

Almond Cake

Coffee & Tea

Assorted Petit Fours

We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments
throughout flight upon your request

Sandwiches
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Hot Ramen

Snack

Appetizer

Smoked Trout, Cucumber
Black Olive and Lemon Wedge

Main Course

Stir Fried Shrimp and Scallop
Served with Fish Veloute Sauce
Accompanied by Mixed Vegetables

or

Grilled Beef Skewer
Accompanied by Steamed Rice

Fresh Fruit
Coffee & Tea

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 15, 2008 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Asiana Bar

Apertifs
Campari
Medium Dry Sherry Sandeman

Spirits
Scotch Whisky Chivas Regal 18 years
Scotch Whisky Ballantine's 17 years
Bourbon Whiskey Jack Daniel
Vodka Smirnoff
Gin Beefeater's

Cocktails

Beers

Non-alcoholic beverages

Coffee
RA(Rainforest Alliance Certified) Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
*Espresso
*Cappuccino
*Cafe-latte

Tea

*Asterisk (*) marked coffees are available when A330-300 aircraft operating only.

Champagne & White Wines
Champagne Charles Heidsieck
Sancerre Les Grands Champs 2006
HESS Monterey Chardonnay 2005

Red Wines
Chateau Bel-Ornne Tronquoy-de-Lalande 2000
Givry 1er cru, Cellier aux Moines 2003
Artesa Elements 2003

Dessert Wines
Blandy's 10 Years Old Malmsey Madeira
Port Sandman 20 Years Old Tawny Porto

Cognac & Liqueurs

Camus X.O.
Baileys Irish Cream
*Drambuie
*Cointreau

* Asterisk marked liqueurs are available on long haul flights only.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

SFO

We took the BART to downtown (30 minutes) and stayed at Hyatt Regency San Francisco. The décor of the hotel was very nice and it was super close to the BART station. The room was very comfy and it provided a much needed rest after a long flight. We then went to Union Square, dinner at Scoma’s and drink at Buena Vista’s before heading back to SFO for our red-eye to EWR. The red-eye flight was not even worth mentioning. Everything was by the book United red eye. The same fruit and cheese plate, which was nice if you did not have a big dinner. I asked the FA to get me the fruit plate if I were awake an hour before flight and it ended up being a nice breakfast.

The end… I hope I did not ramble too much…
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Nice! I read the whole thing. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.