FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The duo's short trip to Asia (UA/BR/TG/OZ in C) with pics
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:01 pm
UALboy

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
The duo's short trip to Asia (LAX NRT TPE HKG ICN SFO on UA/BR/TG/OZ in C) with pics

Here is a trip report for our journey LAX (UA) NRT (UA) TPE (TG) HKG (TG) ICN (OZ) SFO in C, except for the NRT TPE sector when we got misconnected and ended up in BR Y.

LAX NRT
UA 891
B744
Seat 15A and 15B (United Business)

After a swift check in and security process, we arrived into the RCC for a drink before departure. The flight was now delayed for over an hour. We were informed that instead of using the HKG inbound aircraft, we will be taking the SYD inbound aircraft, which arrives into LAX an hour later than the HKG flight.

Upon entering the RCC, we were surprised that it was not super packed for the 2 B747 departures (HKG & NRT). However, we also realized that we did not pick up our drink chits on the way in. So, we had to go back to the front desk to ask for some. During that time, we ran into a FTer and had a nice chat with him before finally leaving for the RCC when boarding was almost ready to commence.

Picture of the RCC

The gate was a complete madness. It is not surprising because we were boarding out of gate 76, while the HKG flight was boarding out of gate 77. However, it was certainly much better once we boarded. We were seated in the upper deck at row 15 (the exit row). The extra area that we got was certainly much appreciated. Pre-departure beverage, slippers and amentity pack were distributed.

Legroom for row 15
View of the upper deck from row 15

We probably ended up leaving the gate 1.75 hours late. Although we had a 2-hour connection at NRT, we were not particularly worried because of favorable wind. However, you can just sense that the BKK/SIN passengers were getting a bit anxious. It took quite a while to taxi to the runway. As we were in the queue waiting for our turn to take off, the classic “ding dong” sound came on, indicating the FAs need to pick up the phone. It certainly was not a good sign. The pilot then came on the PA to inform us that one of the passengers left his passport in the duty free store. Therefore, we had to return to gate, offloaded the pax and his bags.

Once we were at gate, the FAs offered us a turkey sandwich and a glass of juice while we waited for all the formalities to be taken care of. The FAs and pilots did a good job in informing us the progress. There were certainly complaints from the passengers, especially with 42 of them trying to catch the SIN connection.

The whole ordeal ended up taking around an hour. We finally took off with an estimated arrival time of 18:40 into NRT. Our flight for TPE was due to leave NRT sat 18:20. So, we were prepared to overnight in NRT. But, we were also optimistic that we would be accommodated on to a different TPE flight that was due to leave later that evening.

After all these drama, we were glad that we were finally in air. We were soon offered a drink with warm nuts, with seconds offered. We have preordered our Washoku-zen meal and it was very good. The presentation was slightly better than the obento meal. However, similar to the obento meal, the appetizers are always fantastic, while the main course was good but not spectacular. However, I certainly prefer it over the western meal. Here is the menu:

Beverage service with nuts

to begin
Sauteed herbed shrimp, prosciutto ham and fresh fruit
Kalamata olive sauce

Fresh seasonal greens
Buttermilk ranch or balsamic Dijon vinaigrette

main course
Pan-seared filet mignon with green peppercorn sauce
Fingerling potatoes and sautéed zucchini and carrots and corn

Shrimp and scallops with ginger, garlic, spring onion sauce
Steamed rice and green beans, carrots and corn

Washoku zen selection
Appetizers of barbecued eel in layered eggs, grilled scallop,
lime-flavored beef tenderloin, shrimp with vegetable sushi rice,
poached tuna with karashi miso, steamed leeks,
buckwheat soba noodles with marinated Japanese vegetables

A main course of salmon teriyaki, braised tofu,
simmered shiitake mushroom and daikon, green beans, fresh julienne ginger
served with steamed rice and Japanese pickled vegetable

Served with green tea
Items in this meal may contain traces of MSG

dessert

International cheese selection
Kerrygold Vintage Cheddar, Port-Salut

Eli’s Crème Caramel Cheesecake

midflight snack
Sandwiches, Ghirardelli chocolate and other assorted snacks
Hot noodles are available upon request

prior to arrival
Beef pastsrami on pretzel roll
Herb and garlic russet potatoes

or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

After the main was cleared away, dessert and tea/coffee were coffered. I managed to watch 3 out of the 7 movies offered and slept a little bit. The upper deck was staffed with a LAX-based FA and an NRT-based FA. They were very friendly. The NRT based crew actually offered me tons of advice on what to do in case that we had to overnight in NRT. The LAX based FA and I chatted quite a bit about random stuff while we were making our Pacific crossing.

We were offered our second meal when we were 1.5 hours out of NRT. We had the sandwich. The fruit that came with the sandwich was very refreshing while the sandwich was very well seasoned.

As we were descending, the purser announced that all the passengers connecting to SIN and BKK will have to overnight in NRT, while passengers to TPE will be rebooked on Eva Air and passengers to ICN rebooked on Asiana. I was excited that that we would make it to TPE that night and also be able to sample an airline that I have never flown, however I know that there is no way that we will be rebooked in C as an NC passenger. Since the NRT TPE flight is going to be 3.5 hours, I could certainly survive that in Y.

Last edited by UALboy; Jan 21, 2008 at 9:36 am