Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Patagonia (Torres del Paine) in Delta Business

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

To Patagonia (Torres del Paine) in Delta Business

This is a trip report for trekking in the Torres del Paine National Park in Chilean Patagonia from March, 2014. Perhaps it’s a bit on the tardy side, but my excuse is that I’m writing while flying the “free one-way,” segment at the end of my Delta award ticket.

Basic logistics: This trip was booked using Delta miles. Departure was from FNT rather than DTW for award availability. Low awards were, of course, never available and even medium availability was hard to come by to SCL (such is the wont of SkyMiles) so my friends and I flew a mixture of coach and business as the high cost of economy often approaches the medium cost of business. I spent about 200,000 Delta miles for roundtrip in business, but my friends are primarily positioned in United and Chase Ultimare Rewards, so Coupon Connection was necessary to book the tickets (a brief shout-out to our trade partner for Delta points: thank you for helping to make this trip possible!)

Anyway, I also want to make the point that the Coupon Connection was more than a way to score random travel tchotchkes, it was something that enabled beautiful and important trips. I understand that there are some serious and ongoing questions about its, “safety,” from a lot of perspectives, but the power to transform the points that you or your friends actually have to points that will allow them on a trip like this is an important one; I sincerely hope to see the Coupon Connection return in one form or another in the near future.

No one even publishes a fare from the Detroit region to the airport closest to the park, Puntas Arenas, so it was necessary to buy a separate ticket on LAN Chile. Money saving tip: the Chilean website quoted a price of about $330 versus $550 on the US website, so if you purchase a LAN ticket in the future, make sure you check prices through the Chilean site first. There were no issues during travel based on where we purchased the ticket from.

Total costs:
200,000 Delta SkyMiles
$330
25,000 IHG points for an evening in the Intercontinental Santiago (50,000 total for two rooms)
~$750 for other costs including housing in Puerto Natales, park passes and camping fees, food, and bus and ferry tickets

FNT-ATL:
Delta’s domestic first class service, even on this <2 hour flight, was solid, with a reasonable snack basket, friendly and fast service by professional attendants, and beer of higher quality than the Bud Light available in United domestic first. The flight passed quickly enjoying a Blue Moon and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

ATL-SCL
After snacking on chicken tacos in Atlanta’s F-terminal the flight to SCL boarded on time.

Wines Simi Chardonnay 2009, Sonoma 2009
Louis Latour “Chanfleure” Chablis, Burgundy 2011
La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Rioja Reserva, Spain 2000
Chateau Lestruelle Cru Bourgeois, France 2009
Chambers Rosewood Muscadella, Australia
Quinta Do Noval 10 year Tawny Porto, Portugal
Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaique, France

Settling In
Roasted Cauliflower, Marcona Almonds, and Serrano Ham

Starters
Iceberg Wedge Salad
Pumpkin Bisque

Main Event
Filet Mignon
Lemon Brained Chicken Breast
Roasted Squash Risotto
Chilled Plate (curried crab salad with avocado and orange)

Sweet Delights
Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
A Tasting of Sweet Treats
Selection of Fine Cheeses

P3019767

P3019770

Almost There
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Vanilla French Toast
Granola Cereal

Delta’s catering coming from Atlanta was impressively solid. All of the selections below would have been perfectly passable at a mid-range restaurant with the exception of the potatoes accompanying the filet mignon (undercooked and flavorless). The beef itself was appropriately tender and not at all abused by the tribulations of air travel. The IFE screens were mediocre in size and resolution, but a couple of Louis CK standup bits and August, Osage County kept me entertained in between a solid six and a half hours of sleep on the way down. I was a fan of the Westin partnership for bedding.

LAN Chile SCL-PUQ

Fortunately, our flight into SCL was on time and we had no trouble making a ~4 hour connection from international arrivals to our domestic departure to Puntas Arenas (PUQ). We spent about two hours snacking and showering in the Pacific Club lounge on the domestic side at SCL using Lounge Club passes form a Chase Ink card.

When I boarded the flight, a couple (I think Austrian or German) was occupying my seat and suggested, “we’re already seated, you didn’t really want a window seat, did you?” I opted to insist upon taking my assigned seat and the awkwardness was more than worth it; by far the best part of the flight was the view. I sat on the left side of the plane, but my friends on the right reported that the view from the right looking at the coastline and fjords was also impressive.

Onboard catering choices were a bag of trail mix, a sweet cake, and a bag of raisins with the instruction to, “choose two.” The trail mix was fine.

The descent into PUQ was captivating. Much of the land is remarkably flat and the latitude gives the light a nice sunset color quality throughout the afternoon. Chilean Air Force planes share the airport with commercial operations. The light, remote surrounding land, and the air force’s radomes and F-5 fighters parked ready to scramble in bunkered hangers near the end of the runway gives the whole thing a feeling of being at the end of the world.

Once we arrived, it was a simple process to transfer to a large number (I counted about three separate bus companies during a 15 minute wait) of buses operating public service to Puetro Natales, even though I was able to find information on the internet for only a single company with hourly schedules. Basically, my advice for bus travel anywhere in the nation: if a reliable source such as a guidebook states that buses operate the route frequently, don’t worry too much about identifying a particular operator in advance and hop on the first convenient bus.

In Puerto Natales, we stayed in The Tin House, Patagonia, which was clean, had friendly staff, and put out an excellent breakfast to fuel up prior to the first day of hiking.

I’ve outlined the route that we chose to hike in Torres del Paine. Basically, we went in at the Hosteria Las Torres entrance, hiked to the Base Las Torres on the first day, stayed at Refugio Chileno the first evening, and worked our way towards Refugio Grey over the next three days, and then on the last morning did as much as we could of the trail ascending along the Grey Glacier towards Camp Dixon before running back to Refugio Grey to catch the boat back to Hosteria Lago Grey and then on to a shuttle to camp headquarters and a bus back to Puerto Natales. One note about taking the boat from Refugio Grey out: it is not guaranteed to run (although they don’t make this obvious from the website or pre-trip communication)/ Instead, they will scrap the trip in about 30 knot winds due to waves and safety issues which would leave you to scramble back to Refugio Paine Grande to catch the much more reliable catamaran at 4:00 pm which would have been a rough hike indeed at that point in the trip.

Along the way we stayed at:
-Refugio Chileno
-Refugio Cuernos
-Refugio Paine Grande
-Refugio Grey

Regarding the refugios: they’re great! Okay, they won’t compare with a Conrad or Ritz Carlson, but you’re camping in a national park and they’ll provide you with a sink for washing dishes, covered cooking and eating space if needed, flush toilets, and booze that is pricey for Chile prices but entirely reasonable by North American standards. Pisco Sours were available for from $4-6 per beverage. Wine, beer, and other drinks were available at comparable prices. After working hard on the trail all day, it’s pretty easy to overindulge, but I speak from experience that one should strive to avoid hiking with a hangover. ;-) If you’re staying in a tent, there’s really no reason to make a reservation: it’s not as if they actually, “reserve,” a space for you, it’s still up to you lay claim to a spot with your gear after arriving. Both Refugio Cuernos and Chileno had significant space restrictions where one might want to be mindful of grabbing a spot, but I’m not sure that I’d want to rush off the trail to snag a spot as opposed to enjoying the scenery on the trail. Refugio Paine Grande and Grey are the most developed. We self-catered the whole trip except for dinner at Refugio which was middling and overpriced relative to

Overall, if I were to do Torres del Paine again, I think we struck the right balance of support and self-sufficiency for our group by staying in tents but camping at the Refugios. Being able to pay for booze you don’t have to carry, a hot shower, and knowing that help is a radio-call away is nice, but it still feels enough like roughing it to make you feel connected to the weather and the land.

Video of Base Las Torres

Video of Falling Glacier!
Old May 25, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Patagonian Wind

After landing in SCL at around 2:00 am, we went straight for luggage (delivered promptly) and then to the taxi stand and paid 17,200 for a taxi for the four of us to the Crown Plaza in downtown Santiago. We were able to climb in bed just before 3:30 am after enjoying the first hot showers with good water pressure and toilets not requiring toilet paper to be thrown away in a week. I am a Platinum IHG member (solely through the Chase credit card). Our rooms were upgraded to the Club floor and a decent 125 ml bottle of red wine was waiting in each room. After sleeping late to enjoy sleeping in a large, modern mattress, we just barely made it to the 11:00 am wrap-up of breakfast in the club lounge and enjoyed a decent breakfast before setting out on a walking tour of downtown Santiago, back to the Crowne Plaza to pick up luggage, and finally another cab to the airport.

Old May 25, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

[img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5311/14055338387_4193508448_o.jpg
[/img]

Unfortunately, the food going back from SCL to ATL was a notable downgrade. Everything tasted less fresh and less appropriately cooked; I’m guessing this reflects that the outbound flight is double catered, but perhaps they have a poor catering outfit in SCL. The hard product remained solid and I was able to enjoy about 6 hours of sleep before waking to another mediocre breakfast and then the process of connecting through Atlanta. As a refugee from United, the F terminal SkyClub in Atlanta blew me away in terms of style, amenities, and staff. The woman running the showers was extremely welcoming and helpful, offering advice about what amenities were already in the shower rooms (soap, shampoo, clean towels) or could be picked up on the way in (deodorant, toothbrushes, etc.). The shower room was immaculately clean and decorated with relatively austere but functional tile in Delta colors. Next, the oatmeal was pretty enjoyable when mixed with hearty amounts of walnuts and dried cranberries. There was a decent spread of other options including an automated pancake maker (can’t comment on its quality as I’m not a pancake indulger).

As always, feedback and comments are appreciated. If I was skimpy on any of the logistics, feel free to respond or PM and I’ll do my best to flesh out any part of the trip.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, AS 75K
very nice report. Thanks for posting.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Absolutely gorgeous pics, the blue on the glaciers was amazing... Great trip!
Old May 25, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
WOW!

Thanks for posting. For some reason I have always fantasized about going down there. This TR shows me why I need to do so.
Old May 25, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Thank you for this trip report, absolutely fantastic pictures! I think you just inspired me to put Patagonia on my bucket list
Old May 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Great photos, your trip looked really nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:32 pm

Beautiful.

Is it hot or coolish?

I would love to go there. The hotels are expensive.
Old May 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Lovely photos and a most enjoyable TR. Was it mostly hikers or were there people climbing the towers as well?
Old May 26, 2014, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very enjoyable and well photographed report, you have some real talent ^
Old May 27, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Ahhhh, Torres del Paine is stunning, isn't it. Unfortunately we only hiked to las Torres when we were there, so I enjoyed the chance to vicariously experience the rest of the W track through your excellent photos. The video of the glacier falling off the side of the mountain was amazing!
Old May 29, 2014, 3:24 am

Awesome trip report and pictures!!! I like the part of the couple seated in your seat!! Where were there assigned seats? Next to you in the aisle?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Is it hot or coolish?

I would love to go there. The hotels are expensive.
It's at a pretty high latitude so it tends to be cooler, (reportedly) ranging from the upper 70's in the summer to very cold in the winter. We went during the shoulder season and had perfect hiking weather (upper 50's to upper 60's).

The hotels are really pricey, but there are some much more reasonable hostel options in Puerto Natales for staging and in the park itself I think that camping is the way to go. For instance, the Hotel Lago Grey was something silly like $280+ per night for the, "regular," portion which looked like nothing special as we trekked through (not the rather striking modern structure pictured on the website) and the modern hotel rooms cost significantly more.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Was it mostly hikers or were there people climbing the towers as well?
To be honest, I'm not sure if I saw any climbers. I had to look this up, but it seems that climbing the towers is a major undertaking which requires special permission. Certainly they are being climbed but it doesn't seem like something you can just hire a guide for:
http://www.summitpost.org/torre-sur-...l-paine/151366

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Ahhhh, Torres del Paine is stunning, isn't it. Unfortunately we only hiked to las Torres when we were there, so I enjoyed the chance to vicariously experience the rest of the W track through your excellent photos.
Thanks! If it's any consolation, I certainly did find the hike up to Base Las Torres to be one of the absolute highlights.

Originally Posted by Earthlings
I like the part of the couple seated in your seat!! Where were there assigned seats? Next to you in the aisle?
Hah, yes, they were. I had selected a window seat on the left side of the plane over six weeks in advance for that exact reason, so when the time came, I had to insist.

Last edited by dickerso; May 29, 2014 at 1:49 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by dickerso
To be honest, I'm not sure if I saw any climbers. I had to look this up, but it seems that climbing the towers is a major undertaking which requires special permission. Certainly they are being climbed but it doesn't seem like something you can just hire a guide for:
http://www.summitpost.org/torre-sur-...l-paine/151366
I've read an account of the first ascent where a British team just beat an Italian one - presumably the origins of the British and Italian camps - and I got the impression that they had rather a hard time so I was wondering whether it was one of those climbs which has subsequently become fairly easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.