Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brumbrum
"Chicken Cold Plate with Eggplant Salad"

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Chicken Cold Plate with Eggplant Salad

*It’s a tasty snack, small but tasty
what about that blue flower inside? Did you eat it?

Bahaha brumbrum, definitely didn't eat the flower.
Give me some credit, I have some restraints lol

Originally Posted by FYWE
The international airport in Windhoek is situated so far from town due to aircraft performance. In the event a long haul flight loses an engine, especially on departure from runway 26 there is enough room for them to climb and maneuver without having terrain issues which would happen if it were closer to town.
Love the report!! Can't wait for the rest.
That's makes more sense FYWE, I'm guessing Windhoek has some "Hot and High" Airport Characteristics?
Thank You, very much enjoyed choosing Namibia as part of the trip.
Will get another section up today or tomorrow ^
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 56 – Revisiting the Old Classic, Flying on the Old Qantas 744 First Class Seat JNB - SYD

Aug 14, 2013 – Wednesday
QF 64 JNB – SYD 6:15pm – 2:15pm(+1)[Aug 15] (744/F)

With the late BA WDH – JNB flight, I had to go re-clear security and immigration at JNB in 1 hr 10 mins.
JNB for int’l connections required a quick passport check and stamp from South African officials, similar to connecting in PEK T3 if anyone has done that.

Luckily, I chose the right door of the bus and started running and had no wait at either transit immigration or security.

And after getting my boarding pass at the transit counter, I had about 50 minutes left prior to departure. As this is my first time onboard the Qantas 744, I skipped the Shongololo Lounge and went straight to the gate.
Tonight’s flight was leaving out of gate A11 which was about another 10 minute walk from the transit counter. Plus add another 5 minute walk from to that point as well.

Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400

The gate was similar to gate security check similar to int’l flight into the US.
For Qantas, they run the old Skybed MK1 equipment on the JNB flight, luckily it is sold as a J/Y+/Y flight so the elites get to sit in the F cabin.
Guess that’s what happens when there are zero competition on Africa – Australia routes, outside of SA PER - JNB.

*55th Flight, 134794 Miles flown since Apr 28
Qantas Airways 64
Johannesburg O.R. Tambo to Sydney, Australia
Scheduled – 6:15pm – 2:15pm(+1), 12 hr flight
Actual Departure – 6:06pm
On Time Arrival – 1:42pm(+1)
Business Class, Seat 2A
Food – Dinner, Snack, Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 747-400 (14F/52J/32Y+/255Y Configuration)

Boarding started exactly at 5:45pm, with my usual run down the jetway lol

Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400 First Class Cabin

Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400 First Class Seat

Extra Reading light and very limited storage space

Older Seat Control and Entertainment Control

Business Class Pajamas, Amenity Kit and Sheepskin Blanket

*The First Class cabin, business class service today had some F service elements

SFO777 favorite magazine rack

*Check out this link for a quick reminder and you’ll see what I mean,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post18163022

Part 56 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Dining Table

Drinks Table

*Utterly useless when you have semi reclined or have your seat full-flat

Worn Out Seat Fabric

In a huge rarity, the light J load today which the crew said is almost never possible on the SYD – JNB route
Seat control decided to close the main deck Business class and move the highest elites in the First Class Cabin, and all others to the upstairs Business Class
So here we go, a very unhindered shots of the Lower deck Business Class Cabin

Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400 Lower Deck Business Class Cabin

Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400 MK1 Business Class Seat

Fully reclined, I gave it a quick test, still better than other slanted lie-flat seat in its day, but outdated nowadays

A little overboard?!?

Lower Deck Business Class Service Bar, empty for tonight’s flight

Up to the not-so holy grail tonight

First Class Lavatory

*The window has a clear/opaque shade depending if the door lock was on or off

Pre-Departure Beverage

Door were closed at 6:07pm and pushback at 6:20pm

Part 56 Continues Below
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Airborne at 6:35pm for a super Quick 10 hours 50 Minutes flight to Sydney, talk about tailwinds, that’s 1 hour 10 minutes faster than block time!!!

The entertainment system was turned on shortly after take-off, was ok

Departure from Johannesburg

Service started out somewhat slow, the 3 FAs handed out turndown water quickly

Turndown Water Bottle given at the Beginning of the flight

Now everyone who’s gone through my First Class TR will know, I can be one scary “Beast Mode” on flights. Go check out my index if you don’t believe me.

So guess what happens when all I had today was a Breakfast-to-go bag on my drive between Swakopmund – Windhoek around 7:30am and a small snack on the BA Comair at 3pm. Trust me, it’s a time crunch hence lack of an actual meal.
Luckily a lot of people on the flight didn’t have mid-flight snacks, I apparently scared the hell out of the FA on this one.

Dining Menu

QF 64 Dinner

Small Plates
Cream of Zucchini Soup with Parmesan
Roast Chicken, Artichoke, Cherry Tomato and Potato Salad with White Balsamic Dressing
Calzone of Roasted Pumpkin and Blue Cheese
Veal Meatball Ragu with Linguine

Main Plates
Roasted Mushroom, Leek and Ricotta Lasagne with Capsicum Dressing
Reuben Sandwich
Seared Kingflip Fillet with Minted Peas, Potato Gratin, and Melon Aioli
Masterstock Braised Chicken with Lemon Sauce, Fragrant Rice and Pak Choy
Pan Fried Beef Fillet with Rosemary Potatoes, Greens Beans and Red Wine Jus

Green Leaf Salad with Chardonnay Vinaigrette

Dessert
Seasonal Cheese Selections served with Accompaniments
Citrus Layer Cake with Double Cream and Strawberries
Sliced Fresh Fruit

Chocolate
Lindor Chocolates

Snacks
Fresh Whole Fruit
Orange and Nutmeg Biscuits
Ice Cream Tubs
Chocolate Bars

The intent of Qantas is for passengers to have the salad, 1 small dish, 1 main plate and dessert and not what I just pulled below

Dinner Drink

*Now you’ll see what I mean how the drink stand is useless in full flat mode

Green Leaf Salad with Chardonnay Vinaigrette

Soup, Cream of Zucchini Soup with Parmesan

Appetizer, Roast Chicken, Artichoke, Cherry Tomato and Potato Salad with White Balsamic Dressing

Main Course #1, Pan Fried Beef Fillet with Rosemary Potatoes, Greens Beans and Red Wine Jus

Main Course #2, Reuben Sandwich

Dessert #1, Citrus Layer Cake with Double Cream and Strawberries

Dessert #2, Haagan Dazs Ice Cream

Green Tea and Chocolate to end the service

Service was at a good pace by the FA, and dishes were served individually vs. tray service which was a First Class service trait.

After the food service, we had about 8 hours or so left to the flight

Breakfast Card was handed out for collections later and the cabin was dimmed for the night ahead

Bed Mode for the night, First Class pillow was provided and I stole an extra Business Class pillow from the closed section

Woke up around 3 hours later and decided to walk around and have a snack

Talk about the Roaring Forties

Part 56 Continues Below
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

The snack cart was already set-up, I didn’t see anyone outside of me going for snacks on this flight.

Overnight Snack Cart

As the FA were already scared to death of my theatrics from earlier, they decided to find a me a Y+ or Y tray to go with Veal Ragu Linguine I requested. They also had to track down from the upper galley, HOLY

Ginger Beer to Start

Mid-Flight Snack, Veal Ragu Linguine

Time to get back for another nap, and the roaring Forties have turned to the Furious Fifties, been a long time since I think we flew that quick

Breakfast Service started about 1 hr 20 Minutes outside Sydney

Breakfast Card, previously given to the FA earlier

And after my previous 2 meals, some might say 3, what did I went for breakfast?
The Full Breakfast of course

Full Breakfast

Good Morning Australia

Final Route of Qantas 64

We started our descent at 1:10pm into Sydney

Part 56 Continues Below
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Ready for landing

And over the Western Suburbs

And with our approach and landing on Runway 16R, both sides of the aircraft were in for a treat today.

Qantas Airways Airbus 380-800

Domestic Terminal 3

International Terminal 1

Continental doing Business as United

Virgin Australia Boeing 777-300ER

Another Qantas Boeing 747-400

QF 64 finally parked at 1:42pm but still half hour earlier than schedule, time to enjoy a 23 hr 59 connection in Sydney

Next Part
Part 57 – A Perfect Sunset in Sydney Harbour and Qantas Domestic 763 SYD – MEL
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OMG, one look at that old QF First cabin and I may have nightmares tonight.
Nice job on cleaning out the galley.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
It may be an old cabin but she looks purty fine to me...

Great job for the food/
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
OMG so much food! Congrats!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
OMG, one look at that old QF First cabin and I may have nightmares tonight.
Nice job on cleaning out the galley.

SFO777, I don't blame you about the nightmares after getting a big view on the Giant Butt on your flight.
I got a good value, 50K Africa - Australia reward on that with QF 744 F seating, wish i could've went to the Kiwi but lack of time
What's with the thumbs down on "Cleaning Out the Galley"???

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
It may be an old cabin but she looks purty fine to me...

Great job for the food/
El Chiflero, the cabin is old but not horribly upkept, it's like the AA 762 where it's waiting for retirement so no reason to put money on it
The seat itself is ok, but kinda curved due to the cone of the 744.
The Biggest issue by far is squeezing 14 F seats in there, the aisles are really narrow and a real lack of personal storage space around the seat.

You know me and food

Originally Posted by sriegert
OMG so much food! Congrats!
Bahaha sriegert, if I ever find the time to write/image up that JL F JFK-NRT from Nov 2013 lol
This was a complete child-play compared to that
Think in terms finishing 75% of a F Dining menu (both meals + multiple snack runs) in 14 hours of an international airlines
SHF, proud to be displaying the FT community the dining of 35000 Feet.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
What's with the thumbs down on "Cleaning Out the Galley"???
My bad... meant to click ^^
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: HHonors, Delta Skymiles
That's makes more sense FYWE, I'm guessing Windhoek has some "Hot and High" Airport Characteristics?
Thank You, very much enjoyed choosing Namibia as part of the trip.
Will get another section up today or tomorrow ^[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, for example, at 6,000 feet (Windhoek airport is at 5,600 feet) the outside air temperature should be 3.1 degrees Celsius. However, a normal summer day here is closer to 28-34 degrees. That increase in temperature causes a decrease in aircraft performance, and its max allowable load, and slows its climbing ability. I took off from the international airport 2-3 months ago on a day with temps hitting 40 and I used about 7,000 feet of runway with only 3 passengers. At ISA standard of 3.1 I would have used 2,500 feet, 3000 max!!!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
My bad... meant to click ^^
Oh SFO777, didn't think you would discourage my hobby

Originally Posted by FYWE
Absolutely, for example, at 6,000 feet (Windhoek airport is at 5,600 feet) the outside air temperature should be 3.1 degrees Celsius. However, a normal summer day here is closer to 28-34 degrees. That increase in temperature causes a decrease in aircraft performance, and its max allowable load, and slows its climbing ability. I took off from the international airport 2-3 months ago on a day with temps hitting 40 and I used about 7,000 feet of runway with only 3 passengers. At ISA standard of 3.1 I would have used 2,500 feet, 3000 max!!!
Didn't realize Windhoek is a "Hot and High", well I knew it would be Hot, but didn't realize WDH was at 5600 Feet, the drive from Swakopmund certainly doesn't feel like driving up 5000 Feet in elevation.

5600 Feet definitely put it in the "Hot and High" Category with Johannesberg and Denver

Thanks for that education FYWE
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Very nice continuation of the adventure SHF!

I am guessing that JNB-SYD is one of the more exotic air routes on this planet, and with the light load on your flight I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the route is axed? Qantas have been struggling quite a lot with unprofitable routes lately.

I'm rather surprised to see them still offer First Class on the 747-400. How comes they didn't remove those seats after the refurbishment of the rest of the cabin? Kind of makes me wonder if they still sell this product as First on any routes. Business Class did look very nice though, so I would personally have chosen to sit there instead since the seats are much newer. Needless to say, nice touch to have status passengers use the First section for free.

Looking forward to the rest!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Very nice continuation of the adventure SHF!

I am guessing that JNB-SYD is one of the more exotic air routes on this planet, and with the light load on your flight I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the route is axed? Qantas have been struggling quite a lot with unprofitable routes lately.

I'm rather surprised to see them still offer First Class on the 747-400. How comes they didn't remove those seats after the refurbishment of the rest of the cabin? Kind of makes me wonder if they still sell this product as First on any routes. Business Class did look very nice though, so I would personally have chosen to sit there instead since the seats are much newer. Needless to say, nice touch to have status passengers use the First section for free.

Looking forward to the rest!
Thank You LH4116, I wouldn't say super exotic by any means, but somewhat rare on this route even for the TR forum.

No, the FA said it was only between South African and Australian holiday, hence why the light load for about a week or so.
I can't imagine QF cutting this route, considering the only links is this and the SA PER-JNB flight, they should be able to make some money on this.

I think this is one of those plane they are going to retire hence no refurbishment into the new 3 Class J/Y+/Y config with the full flat J seats.
I can't complain since I got the F seat, J+ service in my opinion.
I wouldn't be super happy if I chose to paid F miles for this though, QF still sells 744 F SYD-HKG, MEL/SYD-LAX if I'm not mistaken.

Don't think you would've went for the J seat, the J seat on my flight was the slanted lie-flat MK1 seat.
Even though the F seat is kinda narrow, it was still full flat at the end of the day.

Oh well, this QF 744 F version will be seeing the sunset soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.