Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 27 – In Rangoon One Last Time for a Mistake fare

Having flown back from Bagan on Sunday, we had one last day in Rangoon prior to the All Nippon Airways Business Jet Party flight.
Another more slow-ish day since we covered Botatatung Pagoda, Sule Pagoda, Circular Railway, and the Strand Afternoon Tea the first day we were there; here is how the last day went.

Taken Last Night at the Dinner Place

Place was directly across from Traders on the 20th floor, you paid for the view, less so for the food.

Seems like SHF had too much food at dinner, the elevator is tripping out

For the morning, we decided to have a walk around Rangoon first, prior to hiring a car for the 1/2 day later on.
Thanks, but I’ll pass, can’t take another 3 hour train ride in this humidity

Interesting name

Bogyoke Aung San Market

*Sadly close on Mondays

Catherdal of the Holy Trinity

The local way of doing things

Sule Pagoda

A new definition of a bus stop

Independence Memorial

Myanmar High Court

Rangoon City Hall

There weren’t any Hybrid here last Jun, things really change every month here

After our 2 Hour walk, we went back to the room for an air condition break, really plan for those.

Then soon after, we found ourselves a car for the rest of the day, and yes we made sure it had plenty of AC.

Part 27 Continues Below
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Shwadagon Pagoda

A Pagoda is a perfect place to exchange money

Great, the “Wind of Death” is coming

And here is a huge downpour for 45 Minutes

Sky was a lot cleaner after that

We the group unfortunately saw some Burmese yelling at some tourist on the way out.
Apparently the family of 4 was trying to wear shoes inside the Pagoda, idiot
If you go to other people’s place, please respect their culture

After the 1.5 Hour Shwedagon Pagoda stop, we went in search for the

Bogyoke Aung San Museum

*Sadly also closed on Mondays

Karaweik

And while we started to take some photos, we notice a couple drops from the sky, great another “Wind of Death”

Part 27 Continues Below
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

This time around, we went for a meal seeing we had only 1 major attraction left and it was only 4pm now

The whole group was sick of Asian Noodles for the past 2 weeks so finally gave up and went for Pizza

Yes SHF went for the pasta for himself, hehe

Last Major Attraction in Rangoon, Chauk Htat Gyi Pagoda

And finally the last stop and only a photoshot
The lady, Aung San Suu Kyi's House

With that, it was 5:30pm and we made our way toward the Rangoon Airport, 4 day in Burma/Myanmar finally completed.
Off to the next country, Japan!

Next Part
Part 28 – All Nippon Airways Boeing 737 All-Business Jet RGN – NRT
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I agreed with the infamously known part lol
Weirdly I've never gotten the rude sight from UA/LH clubs in Europe or America yet
If you fly on the Lufthansa group on a cheap Y ticket (booking class K) the lounge ladies will be rude for sure.

But then again Lufthansa is an airline known to disrespect their customers, heck even their own elites have suffered from diabolic and borderline criminal enhancements. Rumour has it, they are very tempted to cut *A redemptions on LH First altogether.

Anyways my A3 miles did render me a fantastic SQ redemption HND-SIN-HKG in Biz for 21K miles. Now it sits in a drawer somewhere, since I moved my business over to the TK program. Being able to requalify is part of the fun, something that you can't with A3 ^
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:19 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
This is why SHF reports are EPICs.
An example of reading 1 post with 10 times I nearly spilled my drink!
LOL

After flying LAN Business product and compared to American, it really makes you appreciate Codeshare and LAN that much more.

And finally airborne at 9:50am, scheduled to land at 11:13am now, in the meanwhile, I took a bit of sleep.
Even the purser commented how did I mysteriously woke up in the meal service, I looked passed out cold previously, guess food is the trick, bahaha.

As I had moved from YYZ back to HKG in the middle of 2012, my share of domestic AA First has gone down significantly, very happy to see the improvement in mid-con catering.
Feel sorry for the #48th guy on the list

*I know other complain about back support, but 40 inch pitch on domestic is great
The FA also did an open bar PDB

Adobo Chicken
Served with loaded mashed potatoes and a corn and red pepper sauté
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Chilled Chicken Slices on BBQ Sauce served on Leafy Greens
I spoke too soon about the AA catering, can we please not go back to the “Chicken or Chicken” Ordeal AGAIN.
Seems like chicken was cheap in June
Part 16 Continues Below

Last edited by ffI; Dec 6, 2013 at 9:19 pm
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
If you fly on the Lufthansa group on a cheap Y ticket (booking class K) the lounge ladies will be rude for sure.

But then again Lufthansa is an airline known to disrespect their customers, heck even their own elites have suffered from diabolic and borderline criminal enhancements. Rumour has it, they are very tempted to cut *A redemptions on LH First altogether.

Anyways my A3 miles did render me a fantastic SQ redemption HND-SIN-HKG in Biz for 21K miles. Now it sits in a drawer somewhere, since I moved my business over to the TK program. Being able to requalify is part of the fun, something that you can't with A3 ^
Don't think I ever bought a cheapo Y ticket on LH group before, not in Europe in them to fly them much.
I'm not surprised with Lufthansa at the moment, they have gone to "Miles or Less" the last 2 years with the discount J fare earnings, no more LX First 1st for *A now anyone else basically.
The CEO sounds absolutely obnoxious in his speech.
And if you need further proof of shooting yourself, the RGN LX fares have to be categorized as such, never seen anyone wasting lawyer money like that ever.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they restricted redeem LH First in the future to be honest, seems like their moniker to sell their cabin to its "Prestige Members"

I need to try that for A3, the HND-HKG routing would be great for saving some time if I wanted to fly a red-eye on the long leg.
Nah, my qualifying fun comes from my AA EXP, i might have to slow down my qualifying though, did my EXP in 1 month in 2012, and 5.5 months in 2013

Originally Posted by ffI
This is why SHF reports are EPICs.
An example of reading 1 post with 10 times I nearly spilled my drink!
After flying LAN Business product and compared to American, it really makes you appreciate Codeshare and LAN that much more.

And finally airborne at 9:50am, scheduled to land at 11:13am now, in the meanwhile, I took a bit of sleep.
Even the purser commented how did I mysteriously woke up in the meal service, I looked passed out cold previously, guess food is the trick, bahaha.

As I had moved from YYZ back to HKG in the middle of 2012, my share of domestic AA First has gone down significantly, very happy to see the improvement in mid-con catering.
Feel sorry for the #48th guy on the list

*I know other complain about back support, but 40 inch pitch on domestic is great
The FA also did an open bar PDB

Adobo Chicken
Served with loaded mashed potatoes and a corn and red pepper sauté
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Chilled Chicken Slices on BBQ Sauce served on Leafy Greens
I spoke too soon about the AA catering, can we please not go back to the “Chicken or Chicken” Ordeal AGAIN.
Seems like chicken was cheap in June
LOL
Glad you are enjoying my humor ffi, it's true though.
As an AA EXP, you know we own a chicken farm for certain months of the year

I need to try to get a photo next time I see a 100+ standby list, that would be very sad but funny
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Part 28 – All Nippon Airways Boeing 737 All-Business Jet RGN – NRT

What can I say, Rangoon strikes Again and Again and Again ^^^
With 3 rounds of RGN fares + 1 extra Subset round of Mistake fares and quoting jfkeze yet again, the “Visit Myanma" campaign and "Promotional airfares”
I would say it was a Great Success ^

Here’s a Reminder
Round 1 in May 2012 – Free for all F/J class ex-RGN to many places around the World
Round 1 Subset in Late Jun 2012 – RJ Y RGN-JFK
Round 2 in Aug 2012 – NH/DL J RGN-NRT-Canada
Round 3 in Sep 2012 – LX/SQ/CX plus others in F class RGN-YUL.

Personally I ended up flying 7 or 8 tickets including this Round 2 ticket.
Round 2 was an interesting mix, the DL J fare were originally filed a long time ago prior to the fare being active. There was one problem, it only allow 1 non-DL code flight to get to a DL flight. And when NH announced the start of Rangoon – Tokyo for Oct 15, 2013, the troubles were solved and it was time to book

Weirdly Round 2 originally was of no interest to myself, jfkeze or SFO777. At a price of 450 US dollar, I and jfkeze were both primarily Oneworld fliers initially were both uninterested and neither was SFO777, who really doesn’t fly int’l J at all

Then for some reason, you would never think you can fuel dump on a mistake fare and yet it happens, from a price of 450 US down to a very reasonable 54 British Pound or around 85 US dollars.
Let’s say we all have a price, and now we need a date, especially since everyone dates were tied up from RGN Round 1 fares. After coordinating away for about an hour or so, we planned our group of 5 to travel for Jul 1.

The original routing we were on RGN – NRT – PDX – YVR with 80 Minute connection in PDX, eventually the connection fell below the MCT and we were changed by Delta to a SEA connection. NRT – SEA was also upgraded to a DL 744 which sounded pretty sweet compared to the old recliner DL 763 that was on NRT – PDX when we originally booked.

As to the cost of the ticket
Base Fare Ł8.00 = MMK 11025
Taxes & Fees Ł36.50
Administration Fee Ł10.00
Total Cost Ł54.50
Got to love the base fare of 13 dollars or the fact we are getting great mileage.
85 Dollar fare for flying 7900 miles, even a Hybrid can’t be this efficient

From SFO777’s perspective, check out his report here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...und-2-a-5.html

Jul 1, 2013 – Monday
NH 914 RGN – NRT 9:30pm – 6:50am(+1)[Jul 2] (73G/J)

The 4 of us, myself, jfkeze, FlyingNynaeve and Ms. Mangosteen got to airport shortly after 6:30pm as we finished our last day of touring Rangoon, SFO777 was already airside.

One final time in Rangoon Airport

The Check-In counters were completely lacking of people

Auto-Kiosk, is labor really that expensive in Rangoon to justify this?

As we were a little early, we had to wait until 7pm when the counters open

The contracted staff had a list of who were on these fare, but it wasn’t for the reason most would’ve thought. Remember our ticket originally had a PDX connection, for some strange reason, SFO777 and jfkeze tickets auto changed correctly with the right reservation and ticket. Mine and the 2 ladies ticket were more troublesome, the reservation swapped from PDX to SEA correctly, but our underlying ticket was still showing PDX. I originally corrected this during my week in HKG by re-ticketing with Delta. Unfortunately, this data didn’t get transfer over to ANA which made things take longer and dicer than it should. All in all, it took the 4 of us around 30 minutes to check-in.

One last look at the Myanmar mural

And bye bye Myanmar

NH contracts with the Myanmar Airways International Lounge, which originally was a sad place that improve mightily in 2013

Rangoon Myanmar Airways International SkySmile Lounge

Food including Myanmar and Western Sweets, usually fried rice or noodles and a soup dish; Overall decent, internet however leave much to be desire, imagine 1 modem line used by 30 guest and see how slow it goes.

Part 28 Continues Below
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

At 8:50pm, the official photographers of SFO777 and SHF made their way to the gate. I am one premium gate lice

All Nippon Airways Boeing 737-700ER

*34th flight, 82547 Miles flown since Apr 28
All Nippon Airways 914
Rangoon to Tokyo Narita
Scheduled – 9:30pm – 6:50am(+1)[Jul 2], 6 hr 50 min flight
Actual Departure – 9:13pm
Delayed Arrival – 7:04am(+1)
Business Class, Seat 2K
Food – Dinner, Snack
Equipment – Boeing 737-700ER (38J All-Business Jet)

Boarding started at 9:10pm with yours truly running down the jetway to get extra photos

All Nippon Airways Boeing 737-700ER All Business Class Jet Cabin

All Nippon Airways Boeing 737-700ER All Business Class Jet Seat

Reclined Position

*SFO777 is already pointing, you’re gonna reclined on me the entire flight lol

Rest of the Seat feature

Pillow and Blanket Set
]

Extra Reading Light

Audio Player and Media Player Storage

Seat Control

Part 28 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Seat Power

Now I’m impressed, a Boeing 737 that has windows in the lavatory

*I know plenty of widebodies have them and I’ve been on plenty myself, but a 1st time on narrowbodies

Boarding took 3 Minutes in total to board all 28/38 passengers and overall as a group of 5, we lucked out and secure the entire front right side of the plane with 1H, 2H, 2K, 3H and 4H. We were also joined by counting at least 13 people on the mistake fare as we are today. I apologize to anyone on our flight that was offended, it was me that say “Cheers to more future Mistake fares” at Door Close

Door were closed at 9:13pm with pushback around 9:30pm

Pre-Departure Beverage

The Video cradle

*The video player may keep you occupied for 2 seconds, absolutely nothing worthy of watching

Airborne around 9:40pm, and we started our way toward Narita.

6 Hours 40 Minutes to Tokyo Narita tonight

NH 914 Dinner

Assortment of Appetizer
Smoked Duck and Salmon with Cheddar Cheese
Full Bodied Cheddar Cheese and French Bread
Our Smoked Combination of Tender Duck Meat and Elegent Rose Petal Styled Salmon Slices

Main Courses
Fillet of Beef Steak with Black Pepper Sauce
Generous Slices of Choice Beef Fillet, expertly sautéed and flavored in spicy black pepper sauce
Accompanied by a colorful selection of eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, and other fresh veggies

Lobster Thermidor
Lavish Dinner Entrée of Half Lobster Lovingly baked in gratin style
The Cream Sauce condiments is crafted with delicious lobster broth in an enriched concentration of the savory superiority of this seafood heavyweight

Sauteed Pork with Pineapple Chili Sauce
Choice of Pork Sautéed to Tender Precision, completed with salty-sweet chili sauce rich in Pineapple
Savor this meat delight with rice sprinkled with crispy fried garlic chips

Salad
Garden Salad

Bread
Mini Baguette, Soft Roll

Dessert
Clafoutis
Petits Four

Hot Towel to start the service

Japanese Rice Crackers

Starter Drinks

Business Class Tray Dinner

Caesar Salad

Having the same problems as SFO777, come out

Appetizer, Smoked Duck and Salmon with Cheddar Cheese

Bread

Part 28 Continues Below
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Main Course, Lobster Thermidor

*Everyone except SFO777 went with the Lobster which was very good, begs the question if they double-catered it from NRT or it’s catered ex-RGN

SFO777 went with the Sautéed Pork with Pineapple Chili Sauce

*He also noted it was also very good in his TR

Dessert, Clafoutis

As part of my “Double or Nothing” initiative, Double Meals and Double RTW trips that is, one meal wasn’t enough so I immediately jumped for the Light Dishes menu prior to going to sleep

NH 914 Light Dishes
Hot Japanese Udon Noodles garnished with Japanese Leek
Japanese Leek into this bowl of Hot Noodles and enjoy a Luscious new dining experience

Hot Consommé Soup
Experience Soup that has richness and a refined flavor

Ciabetta Sandwich – Roasted Beef
Roasted Beef and Gherkin Pickles, lovingly wrapped in a soft and springy ciabetta bread baked to a fragrant finish

Hot Japanese Udon Noodles garnished with Japanese Leek

*Very hard to beat a good bowl of Japanese Udon

After the meal, we went for some group photos then promptly went to sleep.

The FA and our group photos, courtesy of SFO777

The Group Pic, courtesy of SFO777

4.5 Hours left towards Tokyo

Turndown Water

Darkened Cabin for the night ahead

The FA also made a run of the amenity basket

A small mini bar was also set up near the front galley

Most of the group woke up around 45 mins prior to landing in Tokyo, good morning Japan

Part 28 Continues Below
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

The FAs made a hot towel, drink and light snack basket/light dishes run

Light dishes can also be ordered, jfkeze went for a beer and Udon at 6am,
I went with a hot consommé soup to start the morning

And at 6:30am Japan time, we made our descent into Tokyo Narita

Final Routing of NH 914

Mt. Fuji can be spotted on the left side of the plane

Final Approach

Delta Airlines Boeing 747-400, see you in the afternoon

Air Japan Boeing 767-300 right behind us

Looking forward to the All Nippon Airways Square Suites in 2 weeks

Back in the Sea of ANA

Part 28 Continues Below
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Last look of the NH All Business Jet

First impression in Japan, we need more air conditioning, 28C is heat, not AC
We also met up with the entire crew for a pic minus SFO777. He was heading for the Delta SkyClub to get some work done while the rest of us went for a Sushi Breakfast in the airport and mini tour of Narita Town

Next Part
Part 29 – 1 Hour Trek in Narita + Delta Airlines Jumbo 744 BusinessElite NRT – SEA
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, that brought back memories. Good stuff Francis! ^
The cabin crew on that NH flight was great and put up with a lot of our photo taking nonsense.

If I never see that effing ugly carpet again, I will die happy.

*SFO777 is already pointing, you’re gonna reclined on me the entire flight lol

LOL.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Last look of the NH All Business Jet

Quite an ambiguous livery. Did you enjoy the ANA 'BJ'?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
Great TR! Still can't believe how much you eat!

I did a R2 this past summer as well RGN-NRT-LAX-YVR and had a great time. I was particularly impressed with the catering on NH ex-RGN and had the same thought that it might have been catered out of NRT... I think someone posted a receipt in the RGN thread about how NH paid for catering services in RGN though. Also, I was pretty impressed with the quality of wines on the flight, particularly the 2007 Chateau Leoville Poyferre!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.