Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 10 – Who said you need alcohol to black out? AA 889 ORD-LAX

Jan 6, 2012 – Friday
AA 1326 MCI – ORD 4:05pm – 5:40pm (S80/F)
AA 889 ORD – LAX 6:25pm – 8:55pm (752/F)

Back at Kansas City Airport, didn’t need to check in since I already had my boarding passes, printed them out in the morning. Sadly, the security was friendly yet mid-western slow.

And since the Kansas City Admiral’s Club is stated to be close July 31, 2012, here are some pics for memories

I will be truly sad the days when the Mad Dog is finally retired.
I had my college education on that

*10th flight, 16610 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1326
Kansas City to Chicago O’Hare
4:05pm – 5:40pm, 1 hr 35 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – McDonnall Douglas MD 80

Flight display screen was a complete error but we did board and close on time.
I got seated next to a pharmaceutical lady who had a daughter who went to Rochester for school and apparently most fly to Buffalo since its cheaper.

On time arrival and 1326 got parked over in L concourse, its been ages since I’ve been out that way.

A 5 min walk to K5 which was the gate for 889 tonight, and its pretty packed but luckily I caught a refurbished 757-200

*11th flight, 18350 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 889
Chicago O’Hare to Los Angeles
6:20pm – 8:55pm, 4 hr 35 min flight
First Class, Seat 4B
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 (24F/166Y)

I got these pics in the end when the whole plane was de-boarding.

American Airlines Boeing 757-200 Refurbished First Class Cabin

Due to all that continuous non-stop flying I’ve been doing in the past 6 days, its finally started to catch up to me as I apparently warn my seat neighbor to the tell the FA to wake me up during the meal service and I also somehow took the pics.. Sadly I didn’t remember how I even got the chicken for dinner or even if I order the chicken?

AA 889 Dinner

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Appetizer
Shrimp Cocktail
Peeled Shrimp with lemon wedge and cocktail sauce

Salad
Green Salad with cherry tomato and mushroom accompanied with creamy vinaigrette

Main Course

Stuffed Pasta Shells
Soft Pasta shells with cheese stuffing on marinara sauce with grated parmesan cheese

Chicken with Sweet Potato
Baked Chicken accompanied with Sweet Potatoes and Green beans

Dessert
Pre-Made Sundae
Vanilla Ice Cream with icy peach puree and sweet granolas

Or Cheese Plate
Fine selection of cheese and seasonal fruit

All least I remember to take photos of what I eat, without that wouldn’t know what happen on this flight since I was passed out pretty much and don’t have an account of what happen during that 4 hour flight.
There you have it, apparently too much flying can also cause memory loss and blacking out just like getting too drunk

At least we parked 10 mins ahead of schedule at LAX and back to the AC for another shower!

Next Part
Part 11 – Off to see my Private Line Agent, Omaha, Nebraska

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 6, 2012 at 4:22 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 11 – Off to see my Private Line Agent, Omaha, Nebraska

Back to LAX, straight off to the club as usual for a nice, hot and relaxing shower, what would I do on consecutive day mileage runs without them. Follow by a couple drinks while looking out towards the jumbo parked along Tom Bradley terminal

Jan 7, 2012 – Saturday
AA 2404 LAX – DFW 1:05am – 5:55am (738/F)
AA 1020 DFW – OMA 8:40am – 10:20am (S80/F)

Around 11:30pm, the departure screen for 2404 suddenly changed to 2:45am from 1:05am, we were waiting for the First Officer from 2495 BDL-DFW-LAX, the equipment they had in DFW broke down so they needed a new plane to get them over to LAX to fly us back.

Got a couple photos at the emptied out LAX Admiral’s Club

Talk about a bad turn of events, one I was still safe on my connection to Omaha. However if I miss it, I might as not bother flying there. Two was does Admiral’s club close due to flight delay, the answer is it depends, it depends on how many club customers is still there, each club has a quota and if its above that, they keep it open. Sadly, there weren’t enough people on my delayed flight, so got kicked out at 1am.

*12th flight, 19552 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 2404
Los Angeles to Dallas Ft. Worth
Scheduled - 1:05am – 5:55am, 2 hr 45 mins flight
Delayed Departure – 2:55am, awaiting crew on AA 2495 from Hartford/Dallas
Delayed Arrival – 7:56am
First Class, Seat 4E
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/144Y)

Don’t think I’ve ever seen as tired and deflated crowd at a gate area, the quietest one will ever hear since people just want to get to sleep. I guess LAX-DFW red-eye are a love/hate thing, they save u a night hotel, and some time but hell is it hard on the body and it’s my 2nd consecutive day on 2404.

Luckily I caught a lot of sleep on 889 so I wasn’t so bad, 2 hr 20 mins flying time to DFW and mostly asleep. Arrive into C36 and out to Omaha on C29, not too bad for a connection today.

*13th flight, 20135 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1020
Dallas Ft. Worth to Omaha
8:40am – 10:20am, 1 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service

Boarding was on time at C29, no big issue again, sent a last-minute text message to my agent and off I go to Omaha, 1 hr 24 mins to OMA.

You’re in American Airlines territory, all others stay away

Cloudy and gloomy in Omaha, at least its 45 degrees, in January, in god-freakin Omaha!!!

My private line agent was there as promised, 6 hrs on the ground in Omaha.

She took me to a breakfast place down at the Old Market, and it was my treat since she was showing me around

After she took me infront of ConAgra food headquarter which didn’t leave a the best taste as I’m not sold on GM foods myself

Later she took me over to Council Bluffs, just so I can say I’ve been to the state of Iowa and the short one at that of 35 mins

Skyline of Omaha taken from the Gambling Riverboats on the Missouri River

She even had time to take Rosenblatt Stadium, former home of the NCAA Division 1 College Series

And finally for everyone waiting, this is probably where your Hyatt Private Line agent is picking up your call, in Ralston, Nebreska

After that was some coffee and talk time with my agent then finally I got driven back to Omaha airport for another red-eye turn.
*I would love to thank my Private Line agent, Ms. N for showing me around Omaha and for being such a wonderful agent for the past year and a half

Next Part
Part 12 – Should I be grateful for this bed?

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 6, 2012 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
No line at the LAX premium lane as usual, this was around 10:15am, no nudies yet at premium security thankfully, hmm, hot college chick right in front of me too at the premium side. Did I hit the jackpot? Head over to the AC for about 40 mins and she’s still in front of me heading to the same place. What is going on?
Head down to gate 40 and she’s there at the gate, can’t be seated in first right?
Hell, she ends up getting 3F, dang it why didn’t I nab 3E instead of 3B
At least you didn't have to sit in Y!
It's not that HKG has no hot girls....
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
At least you didn't have to sit in Y!
It's not that HKG has no hot girls....
Better F than Y yes
I agree HKG has its fair share of hot girls, just not sure if the Mongkok type is right for me however

According to the WSJ, this is a big problem in HKG
http://live.wsj.com/video/why-hong-k...4-4523F0574BE8

or FT version, Speed Dating Flight Attendants
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...ttendants.html
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Part 12 – Should I be grateful for this bed?

One final hug with my private line agent and off to security for 3rd consecutive night onboard a plane. No Nuddies at Omaha is a definitely plus. Flying to DFW then SFO on the night flight, to catch the red-eye back to Chicago then back to Buffalo to go home. Sounds easily enough

Jan 7, 2012 – Saturday
AA 1875 OMA – DFW 4:20pm – 6:20pm (S80/F)
AA 1575 DFW – SFO 9:20pm – 11:05pm (738/F)
AA 1522 SFO – ORD 11:55pm – 5:50am (+1)[Jan 8] (738/F)
Jan 8, 2012 – Sunday
AA 4213 ORD – BUF 8:45am – 11:20am (ER4/Y)

Omaha Airport

Do any of you remember this from “Up in the Air”?

American Airlines McDonnall Douglas MD 80

*14th flight, 20718 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1875
Omaha to Dallas Ft. Worth
4:20pm – 6:20pm, 2 hr flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service

Back on my favorite Mad Dog once again, I don’t understand why people hate them?
Well yes, if you are in the last row where your view is blocked by the engine, its crap but up front it’s a great plane especially if equipped with Wifi.

Flying in the world of bliss

Have a drink off for some sleep, this back to back LAX-DFW red-eyes are starting to catch up to my system.

Get to DFW ontime, thankfully, off to the B terminal club as that tends to be the quietest one of them all I found.

While waiting there, AA people complain boarding starts 45 mins prior
Try 1 hr 40 mins earlier

Left the lounge around 8:20pm since I was worn out and dying for more sleep and the departure gate was A36, so I needed the skylink.

Leg Cancelled/Trip In Vain
American Airlines 1575
Dallas Ft. Worth to San Francisco
9:20pm – 11:05pm, 3 hr 45 min flight
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 “Sky Interior” (16F/144Y)

Boarding was a bit of a mess as expected with most SFO flight, luckily I did board early enough to get a photo of the Sky Interior Cabin

The most time I flew the Sky Interior plane back in Nov 2011, my experiences were a bit of a joke, the video system completely crapped out so the FA had to do the old school safety demo like on a Mad Dog, audio didn’t worked and video didn’t work in the air. At least we did have gogo the last time.

Step forward 2 months, since I was completely dead after 2 consecutive nights flying LAX-DFW red-eyes, I passed out while on the ground. Eventually I woke up an hour later and ask my seatmate where we’re.
What do you mean we’re still in Dallas!!!
There goes my connection in San Francisco
After 1 hr has passed, the plane was declared out of service.

The good thing is they had another 738 10 gates over ready to go to SFO, bad thing is my trip is in vain since all the ORD-BUF are all sold out since everyone is heading back to school.

After talking to the lead agent and explaining my problem, he gave me a hotel due to the mechanical, a family of 5 as well got the hotel voucher as their trip was trip in vain. Rebooked on the first DFW-ORD in upgraded First 5:45am flight to make sure I can get back to original ORD-BUF flight.

Grateful for this bed, I don’t know?

Got booked into the Wingate Inn, great its already midnight, I get 3 hr 45 mins in a bed before I have to wake up and go back to DFW, and I lost 2500 miles of actual flying tonight. ORC helps tho
Better drop the parents a call, I need a personalized wake-up call

Jan 8, 2012 – Sunday (Rebooked)
AA 2320 DFW – ORD 5:45am – 8:10am (S80/F)
AA 4213 ORD – BUF 8:45am – 11:20am (ER4/Y)

Back at DFW around 4:30am, no food but McDs for breakfast, oh well, I’ll hold out until I get on the plane.

2320 was leaving out of A17 this morning, I don’t know what DFW is doing to A9-A14 but hopefully the renovations will look nice since its all boarded up right now

*15th flight, 21520 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 2320
Dallas Ft. Worth to Chicago O’Hare
5:45am – 8:10am, 2 hr 15 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Continental Breakfast

On time departure and rolled towards 17R for takeoff, not much to remember else on this flight, other than having 2 rum and cokes at 6am which surprised the Texan lady next to me, continental breakfast was fine for a short flight

AA 2320 Continental Breakfast

To Start
Breakfast Bread
Raisin Bagel or Biscuit with strawberry jam, cream cheese or butter

Fruits
A wholesome banana along with a strawberry and blueberry sidedish

Yogurt
Non-Fat Strawberry Yogurt

Main Course
Cereal
Double K cereal with cold milk and raisin package on the side

Could use cleaner cutlery however

Arrived at 7:40am, a lot more time to go over to Eagle Concourse.
One more flight, time to sleep in my own bed for one night.

*16th flight, 21992 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 4213
Chicago O’Hare to Buffalo
8:45am – 11:20am, 1 hr 35 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 12B
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Embraer 145 Operated By American Eagle

Another Jungle Jet flight, sleep, another mini to my collection….
On time departure/arrival.

Back at Buffalo airport

45 min wait, 1 hr ride on the Shuttle bus back to my house, home at 2pm, its been a month since I was last home.
1 night of sleep in my bed, 1 morning class then straight on the road, 3pm flight tomorrow.
I sound just about like a road warrior

Next Part
Part 13 – Who burns a Systemwide Upgrade on a mid-con flight, I do!

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Oct 29, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Part 13 – Who burns a Systemwide Upgrade on a mid-con flight, I do!

The Fourth Section of the trip reports covers Part 13 – 14 which are the Second set of Mileage Runs, Jan 9 - 11
(ROC-ORD-SFO-ORD-SFO-ORD-SFO-ORD-ROC)

Now why would if you have been keeping track, I just had a RTW this last month and 3 day non-stop Mileage Run that just ended the just previous day. Why would I be doing this?
First of all, I am in the progress of completing a group thesis with other members. I only had Monday, Thursday and Friday classes so if I want to, squeezing a mileage run the first Tuesday and Wednesday would most likely minimize any trouble that will be caused by my absences.
Second, I had the prospects where I’ll be moving to a very Mileage-Run inefficient place maybe because of cost after Jun 2012.
Third, I’m always one to do mileage runs in January/February so it is easier to find time to do them.
So, when AA back in Late October decided to drop the bombshell that they will be doing a Double Elite Miles Promo between LAX/SFO-ORD/DFW, this was my chance to get a majority of my EQMs out of the way so I wouldn’t have to worry about them later in the year.
With my prior 3 day mileage run I completed, I already got 27.6K EQM done 8 days into the year. And as the DEQAA promo on the network wide double elite miles promo came into effect between Dec, 2011 and Jan, 2012, it was a big reason to celebrate as my worries about qualifying for EXP were over.
This 3 day mileage run would put another 24.1K EQM into the bank and would put my 2012 EQM totals to 51.7K EQM by January 11th. Not too shabby in terms of number

Jan 9, 2012 – Monday
AA 4346 ROC – ORD 3:10pm – 4:35pm (ER4/Y)
AA 1561 ORD – SFO 7:15pm – 9:55pm (738/F)
AA 1522 SFO – ORD 11:55pm – 5:50am (+1)[Jan 8] (738/F)
Jan 10, 2012 – Tuesday
AA 1341 ORD – SFO 6:45am – 9:25am (738/F)
AA 556 SFO – ORD 10:35am – 4:55pm (738/F)

After getting a good 12 hours of sleep, I did completed 7 days of non-stop of flying travelling including no less than 2 back to back Red-Eyes on LAX-DFW.
Up by 4am, still kinda jetlagged from Tokyo but that’s isn’t too much trouble.
One call to the Private Line agent, at 8am eastern, 7 central.
One big meeting about the Group Thesis between 8 – 10:30am, my thesis group weren’t the happiest when I weren’t always around, thankfully Admiral’s Club printing helps our printing budget mightily!
Straight back to the border at 11:30am, this time I’m starting in Rochester?
Yes Rochester because the positioning to San Francisco was 75 bucks cheaper than Buffalo, 1 hr 15 mins of driving one way plus 2 dollar toll is worth it in my opinion.

After explaining I was going to San Francisco, to see friends at the border. Fellow Flyertalkers Mileage Running counts right
I left the Rainbow Bridge crossing at the Falls around 11:45am and got to Rochester airport at 1:00-1:05pm. Covered the 83 miles of driving around 1 hr 10 mins or so can’t be bad, I did 90 on the thruway to make sure I had time for lunch.

What do I like flying out of Rochester, parking is 5.99 a day! And Free wifi to boot! Woohoo, that’s cheap compared to
Buffalo, 9.99 and no wifi
and Toronto, more than 15 a day but it does have free wifi.

American Eagle Embraer 145, how many road warriors miss this plane

*17th flight, 22519 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 4346
Rochester, NY to Chicago O’Hare
3:10pm – 4:35pm, 2 hr 25 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 12B
Food – Beverage Service

Back on another Jungle Jet, but luckily got a poor mans First Class.
Seated in 12B with no seat partner, free drink and snack as EXP ^

Got into Chicago on-time, off for a shower and meet up with the all the Flyertalkers MRing tonight to San Fran.

What’s was the most used words the 1st two weeks into the SFO Mileage Runs, delAAys

This was no exception as our original assigned aircraft had diverted to ALB during a ORD-BOS-ORD, so our flight crew were all stranded and running late coming in from BOS. Luckily for our sake, we stole another 738 coming in from JFK so only a 45 min delay. Very fortunately in my opinion when I look back at it a couple months later.
Boarding started at 7:30pm since the flight attendants were ORD and to hence leaving, the plane was pre-boarded waiting for the pilots. I easily got my upgrade at T-107 while allensun and aussieflyer were in Y for this leg in MR.

*18th flight, 24361 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1561
Chicago O’Hare to San Francisco
Scheduled – 7:15pm – 9:55pm, 4 hr 35 min flight
Delayed Departure – 8:00pm
Original assigned A/C MX diverted to ALB/BOS, awaiting new aircraft from JFK, awaiting flight crew from BOS
Delayed Arrival – 10:40pm
First Class, Seat 6E
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/132Y)

In addition to adding delAAys into the FT dictionary, who doesn’t like the word of Ch. 11 bankruptcy. Sadly for me on this flight, we cut back so much that I had a broken headrest at 6E. I was wondering what to do, I definitely didn’t want to cause more delays since this was a 6 Leg mileage run and the last thing I or anyone would want is “This plane is out of service”

So I improvised with the FAs, we used the flight restraining tape to make sure the headrest can stay up.

My thesis group would’ve kill me if I wasn’t able to stay in touch, thanks GoGo!

AA 1561 Dinner

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Appetizer
Shrimp Cocktail
Peeled Shrimp with lemon wedge and cocktail sauce

Salad
Green Salad with articokes, cherry tomato and mushroom accompanied with creamy vinaigrette

Main Course
Stuffed Pasta Shells
Soft Pasta shells with cheese stuffing on marinara sauce with grated parmesan cheese

Herb Crested Chicken
Basil and Oregano crested baked chicken with alfredo sauce accompanied with Sweet Potatoes and Snow peas

Dessert
Pre-Made Sundae
Vanilla Ice Cream with icy peach puree and sweet granolas

Or Cheese Plate

You know once upon a time, I don’t mind eating chicken on AA, but that was until the selection was chicken or chicken or eating this meal below 7 times in a month?

On this flight, we would be awaiting Tom911, jetsetr, maize&blue, Legendary Poster to join myself, allensun and aussieflyer on the 1522 that night back to Chicago.
For some reason, I kept remembering I was seated in 5E on 1522, but that was refuted on FT since that was jetsetr’s seat. It gets bad when you don’t remember what seat you’re in since you’re flying too much
#Signs you travel too much
This sign would come back multiple times this month.

Some gogo, some work done, some sleep and that 4 hrs passes by rather quickly
Arrival into SFO was late as expected, 10:40pm but it was still good to ensure a good turn back to ORD, 20 mins for some drinks and meet-up in the SFO Admiral’s Club and back on the plane.

*19th flight, 26203 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1522
San Francisco to Chicago O’Hare
11:55pm – 5:50am(+1) [Jan 10], 3 hr 55 min flight
First Class, Seat 4E
Food – Beverage Service

Since I was still not completely ridden of my Asian jetlag, had a cookie and a drink during the flight

Dead on time, 1 min late at the gate, 55 min turn in ORD so it means, everyone got a shower in the AC, toomanybooks joined us on this leg, most grabbed a coffee or water from the club then back down to K15 for flying back to SFO.

To go back to the title for this part, “Who burns a Systemwide Upgrade on a mid-con”, well I was worried about this flight since it was F1 or F2 two weeks out. Most days of the week, I wouldn’t worry about a 4 hr mid-con flight but this was 24(originally 25) flights in 11 days, and 7 days of non-stop flying so very serious if you ask me.
Either way, even though it doesn’t help my EVIP balance.
Burning for an A class on this leg was invaluable in the end since
1) the Upgrade List was 40 people with 27 EXPs,
and 2) everyone on this leg was either F, A, P or Z so no free upgrades were available.
So I was up front while every Flyertalkers was in coach this flight, kinda weird with not 1 sticker upgraded seat in First

*20th flight, 28045 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1341
6:45am – 9:25am, 4 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 5A
Food – Breakfast

Doors shut on 6:38am, no more delAAys please

AA 1341 Breakfast

Breakfast Bread
Raisin Bagel or Biscuit with strawberry jam, cream cheese or butter

Fruits
Side Fruit Plate consisting of Cantalope, Honeydew and Strawberry

Main Course
Egg Omelette
An Omelette with hash browns and chopped pepper and tomatoes served in a cheesy gravy sauce

Cereal
Quaker Oats served with 2 percent milk and a side cranberry and blueberry dish

Omelette because I need the protein but can we have some meats in our AA breakfast someday please

Part 13 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Oct 29, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Another average flight, caught some nap and the cabin crew was doing the same turn as us FTers so they are heading back on 556 back to Chicago too.

So I got them to announce the return flight too! ^

And to all the newcomers from United,
“We know Why You Fly, We’re American Airlines”

10 mins early into SFO, 1 hr 20 min turn today so more time in the SFO, we bid farewell to jetsetr and maize&blue, both SFO based and went back to work.
The rest of us, myself, allensun, aussieflyer, toomanybooks, and Legendary Poster kept at it, MORE FLYING!

*21st flight, 29887 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 556
10:35am – 4:55pm, 4 hr 20 min flight
First Class, Seat 3B
Food – Snack/Brunch

Another on-time departure, not shabby considering this is SFO we’re talking about and the fog can always screw a schedule on a moment’s notice

American Airlines Boeing 737-800 Old First Class Cabin

Got my favorite seat on the 738, 3B, FEBO permitting of course

3 hr 25 mins of flying to ORD, K now I need to figure out how to write that ethics paper due in 3 weeks. Hope my prof likes my essays on the morals of flying only for the reason of earning miles

AA 1341 Snack/Brunch

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Sides
Pita chips with hummus is served with the Chicken Club Salad
A bag of Mrs Vickies Chips is served with the Cheeseburger

Main Course

Chicken Club Salad
Grilled Chicken on Mixed Greens served with sliced tomatoes, grated cheese and Creamy Cilantro dressing

Or Cheeseburger
Juicy beef patty burger served with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles with condiments of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup.

Dessert
Freshly baked on board cookies (Chocolate Chip)

The cheeseburger was the snack I went with on this flight, I also had a FTer seated next to me, unfortunately I forgot to jog down his handle, he’s SMF based and is a doctor of some sort, so hopefully someone might be able to tell me. Sadly I wish I had his kind of mileage balance but I’m still a young-un so it will take time.

And with that, back to ORD again for another AA 1561 ORD-SFO , 1/2 turn today to go and 2 more legs tomorrow back to Rochester

Next Part
Part 14 – Luck, laughter, annoyance…

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 6, 2012 at 4:34 am
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
According to the WSJ, this is a big problem in HKG
http://live.wsj.com/video/why-hong-k...4-4523F0574BE8
Something tells me that Miss RBS won't have a problem.

Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO-ORD-SFO-ORD etc... just like a marathon ping pong match.
Brings back memories of my own 1522/1341/556/1561 cycles later that month.
I also used an SWU when it looked tight.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by SFO777

i'll be moving to HK around newyears and I hope that there will be more educated girls with the looks of miss RBS there
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

You might be surprised when it comes to that one

SFO-ORD-SFO-ORD etc... just like a marathon ping pong match.
Brings back memories of my own 1522/1341/556/1561 cycles later that month.
I also used an SWU when it looked tight.
Keep on reading SFO777, i did some 1522/2099/1372/1561 to change things up, I mean how many times did I see that chicken in January

Originally Posted by bludnik
i'll be moving to HK around newyears and I hope that there will be more educated girls with the looks of miss RBS there
Central Monday - Friday should do the trick, you can also try sundays but that might not be the kind your looking for
Mongkok girls might be funner as well
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Part 14 – Luck, laughter, annoyance…

Still on the 2nd batch of my massive mileage runs and huge travels in January and February, now I’m not going to be doing 8 leg turns in 2 days like other SFO Mileage Runners have since I had a lot of previous travel within the last 10 days.
An overnight would do me some good anyway to recover for the week ahead.

Jan 10, 2012 – Tuesday
AA 1561 ORD – SFO 7:15pm – 9:55pm (738/F)
Jan 11, 2012 – Wednesday
AA 554 SFO – ORD 2:10pm – 8:30pm (738/F)
AA 3960 ORD – ROC 9:40pm – 0:20am(+1)[Jan 11] (ER4/Y)

Another shower at the ORD AC, I don’t even know how many showers I’ve done this year but its more than worth the 300 renewal price. And how was I on First Name basis with most of the ORD AAngels? Am I really that memorable or leave that good of an impression. WanderLuster joined us for this 1561 leg although she would turn back on 1522 that very night, Aussieflyer headed back to LAX that night and me, allensun and Legendary poster kept going at it on these runs.

For once, no stupid delays on this flight, finally!

*22nd flight, 31729 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1561
7:15pm – 9:55pm, 4 hr 35 min flight
First Class, Seat 6B
Food – Dinner

Thanks AA for the garbage bag, as I did more MRs, I resorted to bringing a pillow and slippers my MRs for comfort

And we also had a non-FTer that joined us on this flight, he was on our 1522 36 hrs ago that was going to Chicago for an AA interview, he sat in front of me in 5B.
Flight time of 3 hr 47 mins to SFO, no fog delays which was great.

Meal Options weren’t going to be different since I just flew this route yesterday, it was still the Stuffed Pasta Shells or Herb Crested Chicken.
I wanted a change-up too.

As I found out, the crew on tonight 1561 weren’t doing a straight turn on the red-eye but am leaving on 554 tomorrow, so they will see me on the way back too. More on that later. Up front, we had a 12 years seniority FA as the #1 tonight, 12 years is as young as you find on AA unfortunately and he tells me he was very lucky to get this trip, usually its West Palm Beach or LaGuardia. And the curious me, what are the worst flights to do? No doubt, West Palm Beach or sometimes Vail!

I ended up uploaded some pics into my computer and got 2 more hours of sleep, 27 hrs of non-stop flying on mid-cons and jungle jets are starting to get to me.

Got in on-time at 9:45pm, joined the rest of the gang as well as Hyperacusis who was doing a JFK turn at the SFO Club for another hour, I only had a 2pm departure tomorrow so I had the time to sleep in
Around 10:30pm, I bid farewell to everybody and off to the Hyatt Regency SFO Airport.
Luckily I didn’t do another turn tonight, since next morning 6:45am ORD-SFO had a mechanical.

Hyatt Regency SFO Airport

I guess this is my personal preference but I like looking out the window in the morning to hopefully see the sun or at this property, a view of SFO with planes going in/out. However, they really like to put their Diamonds members on the Club Level inside view for some reason.
And they were still selling outside room when I double checked later in the room, but they lied to me and said they sold out.

So you guess it, next morning, I went down to talk to the on-duty GM as well as a call to my private line agent. In my convo on the airport shuttle with my agent and the AS FAs around “Hi xxxxx, You know what, is there any way possible to note in my profile I don’t want inside view EVER!!! I don’t mind being naked in my room on my own time, but I can’t exactly do that with an inside room can I if people can see my junk publicly. And its not like they aren’t getting enough attention from the TSA currently as it is.” Let just say those FAs got a REAL GOOD laugh out of that.

Back to SFO Terminal 2, can I move in already, I’ve been here like 5 times in the last 48 hrs?

Photos of the San Francisco Admiral’s Club for good time sake!

Less Flyertalkers to meet today in the AC, met Hyperacusis and Milesbuilder who were headed back to DFW while myself, Plainsman +1 were headed back to ORD.

*23rd flight, 33571 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 554
2:10pm – 8:30pm, 4 hr 20 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Snack/Brunch

Upgraded cleared T-100 which was nice, kinda rare with my SFO travels, got my 3E and had the same FA as expected from 1561 last night.
First thing into the cabin, the same #1 FA said, didn’t you forget something on the plane last night?
Wasn’t aware of anything, but apparently I left my camera to computer connector cable on the side of the seat and left it on the plane, thank god I caught the same flight back.
Boy was I lucky there, and here you go, have some of my AA applause certs

Another full SFO flight which was the pattern for Early January, we did luckily got the door closed rather early, 3 hr 17 mins to ORD.

AA 554 Snack/Brunch

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Sides
Pita chips with hummus is served with the Chicken Club Salad
A bag of Mrs Vickies Chips is served with the Cheeseburger

Main Course
Chicken Fajita Salad
Grilled Chicken on Mixed Greens served with sliced tomatoes, grated cheese, black olives, tortilla chips on Creamy Cilantro dressing

Or Cheeseburger
Juicy beef patty burger served with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles with condiments of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup.

Dessert
Freshly baked on board cookies (Chocolate Chip)

Decided to change it up and went for the healthier option for Chicken Fajita Salad. I wonder what would be worse? Eating a super amount of McDs or continuous flying while only eating the AA burger

Try to catch up on some of the thesis and other essay work on this flight, a shower at the ORD club as usual, some printing in the AC, that was very helpful for my thesis group so thank you American Airlines.

*24th flight, 34098 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 3960
Chicago O’Hare to Rochester, NY
9:40pm – 0:20am(+1)[Jan 12], 1 hr 40 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 12B
Food – Beverage Service

No delays on the Eagle flight luckily. Tarmac is usually smooth at that hour, takeoff at 32L like most departures. Got seated next to a man ROC based that had to go to Fargo on a business trip, we were all noting the abnormal weather in Upstate NY, a severe lack of snow!. Caught some sleep and grabbed a can of dp from the FA for the drive home.

Landed at 0:15am, into my car by 0:25am and with absolutely no traffic got back to my house in 1 hr 25 mins from Rochester airport, 100 mile away.
Home at 1:50am and I have a lecture at 8am to 11am, I’m truly back in school!

No pain No Gain, 51K EQM down in 11 days for the quest to Executive Platinum
7 days at home and back on the road again, woohoo, what a wonderful month!

And my thesis group can’t complain either, who in College doesn’t like some Alcoholic fun

Next Part
Part 15 – You’re going to Dallas for a leisure purpose???

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Part 15 – You’re going to Dallas for a leisure purpose???

The Fifth Section of the trip reports covers Part 15 – 17, Chasing the Whalejet, Jan 19 – 22 (YYZ-DFW-FRA-BUD-FRA-JFK/LGA-YYZ)

Back in September, with the heads-up from SFO777 and globalhappytraveller, SQ were planning to change their SIN-FRA-JFK from 744 to 388, I snagged a reward seat for January 22 since that was a Sunday morning in estimating for the change. I ended up using the outbound in Nov on OS J to MUC to see a buddy playing hockey in Innsbruck, Austria. At around the same time, AA had a BUD-North America sale from 480 to 600 bucks return.
Here was the plan, nest the award ticket as this 1st and 4th leg and use the revenue ticket as the 2th and 3rd legs, one I get some more AA miles before the MM rule change on Dec 2011, and I get some EQM in January to start the year.

Nov (outbound) – YYZ-VIE-MUC(stop)-BUD(destination) on OS/LH J
Nov (inbound) – BUD-JFK-DFW-YYZ on AA J
Jan (outbound) – YYZ-JFK-BUD on AA J
Jan (inbound) – BUD-FRA-JFK on LH/SQ J, LGA-YYZ AC J

As expected in October, SQ had changed their SQ 25/26 to an Airbus 380 which was great since those aren’t the easiest seat to redeem on.
Then things started went south, JFK-BUD got discontinued due to seasonal traffic and later not reinstated with the demise of Malev in Feb.
Now what was I going to do, the BUD-FRA I had booked was leaving 7:05pm on Saturday. How am I going to reroute to BUD to give me enough time on the ground? BA LHR-BUD flight doesn’t get in til 5pm and MA CDG-BUD flight until 1pm.
Luckily someone found the DFW-FRA-BUD on the FT thread so I rebooked on that since I get in around 11:20am.
There is of course another problem? AA doesn’t fly to FRA other than DFW and that leaves at 3:20pm, YYZ-DFW are at 6am, 3:15pm, or 6:20pm.
So in my case, I had to take an off date on Friday regardless, so I either fly on the thurs night 6:20pm and get a nice rest and tours a new city or Friday morning 6am, sit in DFW the whole day and have to wake up at 3am to drive out to Pearson .

Step forward a week from the last section, its Thursday morning again, so 8-11am lecture, another group meeting from 11-2, with the thesis group, group gave me a list of things to print out in the AC. Some BBQ pork rice in Mississauga for late lunch and off to Pearson for another week.

Jan 19, 2012 – Thursday
AA 1601 YYZ – DFW 6:20pm – 9:00pm (738/F)

Got welcomed just like usual from my wonderful group of YYZ AAngels, its nice to have this retreat here. The AAngels did found it kind of odd for me to be there then, I actually have never the 6pm batch of flight ex-YYZ, outside of 2 YYZ-LAX flight I did 3 years ago. My pattern were always 6am or 3pm ex-YYZ.

*25th flight, 35295 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1601
Toronto to Dallas Ft. Worth
6:20pm – 9:00pm, 3 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/144Y)

As a younger FTer, it’s a nice delight to see females around my age up front, a nice of change of pace anyway. This flight however was far from it. If your dating crowd is 30-50 y.o, male, a suit and always flying away on Business trip, this flight is for you.
There was not a single one 12 – 30 y.o person on this flight, male or female.
Seriously what did I expect, it’s a Thursday flight afterall. And hell, 8 people in F greeted each other like they worked in the same company.
And I also got the deathly stare from the Suits for being up front, one I actually used a Systemwide Upgrade for, in conjunction with the DFW-FRA. This really was a case where I would’ve been better off if I taped my EXP card to my forehead.

AA 1601 Dinner

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Appetizer
Shrimp Cocktail
Jumbo sized Peeled Shrimp with lemon wedge and cocktail sauce

Salad
Caesar Salad with a grated cheese and slice of tomato

Main Course
Penne Marinara
Whole Wheat Penne served on Marinara Sauce and cheese

Herb Crested Chicken
Basil crested baked chicken with creamy onion sauce accompanied with cheese Spanish rice and edamame beans

Dessert
Pre-Made Sundae
Caramel glazed Vanilla Ice Cream with raspberry cheesecake bits and berry puree

Or Cheese Plate

Other AA FAs always comment on the quality of Canadian catered food, I never found a difference prior to today.

The seat power for my seat didn’t work but luckily the suit next to me wasn’t going to use his, hmm, I met a nice suit!

Landed at 8:45pm and parked into Gate D40.
Now I love Texas for its Barbeque, what I don’t like are Hertz pricing at DFW.
Needed a car between 9:30pm to 2:30pm the next day, and when you’re in Dallas, you literally have no legs without a car.
That being said, its just me on a mini-vac, I want a convertible especially if daytime temps tomorrow is 78 degrees in mid-january.

This is Hertz thinking, Texans love big cars
Ford Escape – 51 Dollars, Cadillac Escalade – 60 Dollars, Chevy Malibu – 85 dollars, Toyota Camry – 90 Dollars.

Holy crap, you really know you’re in Texas when renting an Escalade is cheaper than a Camry, yikes!!!

Ended up booking the Escape and 15 buck upgrade to the Eclipse

Booked myself an overnight at the Hyatt Place Grand Prairie, nothing to comment about really except for this photo.
What’s wrong with the above photo?

The shower and the divider glass are both on the same side, great.
However, in order to enter/get out of the shower, the only way is to squeeze by the toilet!
I don’t know who’s stupid enough to design the shower this way but Hyatt hired horrible contractors for this hotel.
Luckily I’m not a senior person, a slip because of the hotel’s design and Hyatt might just have a lawsuit on their hands.

Skyline of Dallas

Ended up visiting the Texas book depository while in Dallas and later some shopping, I need replacement cushions for my QC 15s

For the remainder of the afternoon, I went to the American Airlines museum

Who remembers these from the SlAAveship

How many airport codes can you recognize on this flipboard?

And What’s a visit to the C.R Smith museum without going in the DC 3

Seems like the legroom in coach was better in the 40’s than today

Oh boy, I’m running late, its already 1:40pm
Frankfurt flight is 3:20pm, need to go return my car to Hertz.

Time to go to Europe, “We know why you fly, We’re American Airlines”

Next Part
Part 16 – What else can go wrong?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never knew there was an AA museum. Is it near DFW?
That would be cool to see.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Never knew there was an AA museum. Is it near DFW?
That would be cool to see.
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/home.aspx

About ten~ from DFW. Connected to the FA/Pilot training center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.