Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Classic. Having met your folks a couple of times, this is so funny.
Your description of your dad is hilarious. "You do everything, you plan everything, Whatever don’t bug me. Make sure its First or Business and have people serve me."

Will you agree with my statement? You're one of two FTers that have met my parents. Many have met me before.

I think my family motto holds true tho
"You better be marrying a girl before going to find Daddy"
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
Great pics... Hyatt looks awesome in any place!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kaidus
Great pics... Hyatt looks awesome in any place!
I said Hyatt in general has been great for me.
The only places where I wouldn't bother going back are
Hyatt Regency Montreal, it was kinda beaten down and in January, -30C is exactly comfortable weather to be outside.
and
Hyatt Lisle, which was kinda also beaten down

Sorry for the late posting, had a last minute travel this past couple days so I wasn't around
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
CX HKG?

This week I'm traveling on CX HKG-ORD in F and connecting to HKG-BKK in J. As the Wing F lounge is closed for renovations, do you have any recommendations for the best lounge experience during my layover?

I've traveled CX J a number of times, but this is my first First Class trip with CX. I have high hopes...!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:18 pm

Always enjoy your trips reports. Shows what some hard work and good planning can accomplish. MOAR pleez!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolf539
This week I'm traveling on CX HKG-ORD in F and connecting to HKG-BKK in J. As the Wing F lounge is closed for renovations, do you have any recommendations for the best lounge experience during my layover?
Really depends, like the open concept of a lounge, CX "The Wing" J.
"The Cabin" has those nice Solus chairs and some nice juices/smoothies but i always find it way too packed.
"The Pier" F is nice and reclusive with the buffet but it is a bit of a hike considering your flight is HKG-ORD so its probably leaving either gate 3/4/21
"QF J lounge" can be a very nice hideout between 10am-2pm when BA/QF don't have flights flying out but it has the fewest amenities around.
"QF F lounge" isn't open during their off hours unlike the QF J, so I don't know if you can access it.
G16 Lounge - don't waste your time

Hopefully your CX F will be better than mine last month, hardware good as always but man, the FAs for that flight was all over the flights forgetting stuff.
Worst was that my rice was cooked halfway between congee and Japanese rice, inedible

Originally Posted by WChou
Always enjoy your trips reports. Shows what some hard work and good planning can accomplish. MOAR pleez!
Thank you! I hope so I can finish this in short order, this thing is simply GIGANTIC!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Mom – Just make me comfortable but affordable, no coach over 3 hrs preferable
First Class, whatever? No alcohol for me and hardly eat anything. Lie Flat Business will do
Dad – You do everything, you plan everything, Whatever don’t bug me. Make sure its First or Business and have people serve me. You better be marrying a girl before coming to me was my old family motto for Dad
That just sounds like my parents...

Otherwise great trip report! Looking forward to more please ^
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
"The Pier" F is nice and reclusive with the buffet but it is a bit of a hike considering your flight is HKG-ORD so its probably leaving either gate 3/4/21

Hopefully your CX F will be better than mine last month, hardware good as always but man, the FAs for that flight was all over the flights forgetting stuff.
Worst was that my rice was cooked halfway between congee and Japanese rice, inedible
I'm actually arriving from ORD in F, and connecting to BKK in J. I think I'll give The Pier a try; I wouldn't mind having a shower if time permits!

I have really high hopes for CX F; back in January in flew the new J and it was excellent. I wonder if they'll have PJ's that will fit me? (Former football player...)

Last edited by wolf539; Jul 23, 2012 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolf539
I'm actually arriving from ORD in F, and connecting to BKK in J. I think I'll give The Pier a try; I wouldn't mind having a shower if time permits!

I have really high hopes for CX F; back in January in flew the new J and it was excellent. I wonder if they'll have PJ's that will fit me? (Former football player...)
Oh arriving from ORD, your gate can be anywhere then.
Remember the Pier has 2 entrance, 1 F, 1 J

PJ, i'm not sure, i usually take it home so I can use it as gift later
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I've really enjoyed this very nicely photographed report. Six hours and 20 minutes is far too short a flight in Swiss's First Class...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:34 pm

Great report! I am surprised how nice CX first looked.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
That just sounds like my parents...

Otherwise great trip report! Looking forward to more please ^
Glad someone else other than me share the same experiences

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've really enjoyed this very nicely photographed report. Six hours and 20 minutes is far too short a flight in Swiss's First Class...
Thank you, Seat2A, i'm still a little jealous you had that record of 87 segments in 2 months and I thought I was a crazy FTer

Originally Posted by mattyb2233
Great report! I am surprised how nice CX first looked.
The hardware is very nice and very up there with the best but sadly CX catering seems to have gone worse and worse the last 2 years.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Part 7 – Hi Tokyo, I’m not connecting today

The sometime bumpy Taiwan airport bus took an hour back to TPE, where I caught some much needed sleep. Back at TPE just about 11am for a 12:45pm flight, great plenty of time.

Jan 2, 2012 – Monday
CX 450 TPE-NRT 12:45pm-5:00pm (333/J)

Check in was done swiftly at the First Class counter and with almost no wait at immigration and security. We were quickly in the CX lounge.

Taipei Taoyuan Cathay Pacific Lounge

The CX lounge is divided into F and J sections, J section has a extra noodle bar and I notice F has more alcohol selection, a fried rice in the afternoon and some pastries.

The lounge ladies are having a battle

*2nd flight, 1857 Miles flown this year
Cathay Pacific Airways 450
Taipei Taoyuan to Tokyo Narita
12:45pm – 5:00pm, 3 hr 15 min flight
Business Class, Seat 12A
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Airbus 330-300 Regional

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330-300 Business Class Cabin

Was a first time onboard a regional aircraft on CX, wasn’t expecting too much but the bulkhead tends to be a great choice as I can use my laptop bag as a legrest during the flight. Sadly, power outlets don’t work on these old empower outlets and a overhaul is kinda due for all these planes.

Boarding was done rather speedy as we were finished by 12:35pm and with the doors closed, we headed off to NRT with a flight time of 2hr 37 mins.

CX 450 Lunch

Starters
Smoked salmon rosette with capsicum salsa
Seasonal salad with thousand island dressing
Soba noodles with crab claw and shimeji mushroom

Main Course
Steamed chicken with yam and chestnut paste, Japanese rice with seaweed powder and Japanese mixed vegetables

Fettuccine topped with garlic beef slices

Sauteed seafood with tomato and fish sauce, steamed rice, turnip carrot and green beans

Cheese and Dessert
Cheese selection
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Haagan-Dazs Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

CX slightly changes its catering with a Japanese theme such as the wasabi beans in the nut mix

Can’t complain with the quality of TPE catering, and the chicken with chestnut paste was a really good J meal on CX in the last little while.

A pic of Mt. Fuji

And with the strong tailwinds during this time of the year, this flight flew by very quickly

Locating the Keisei Skyliner was very easy but with the huge travel time on Skyliner and Tokyo Metro to the Grand Hyatt Tokyo at Ropoogni.

Finding a suitable hotel for Tokyo was a huge headache for this trip, we didn’t want a Japanese size room which we would be so close to each other so that we couldn’t breathe. After having a lot of problems trying to get a suite at the Park Hyatt, ended up getting authorized for staying 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt along with burning a suite upgrade.
This was also highly recommended by someone close to me as a fantastic hotel especially Mr. Victor at the Grand Club, thanks again!!!

Grand Hyatt Tokyo

Diamond Check-in similar to Taipei taken place at the Grand Club

The Grand Club

Part 7 Continues Below
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Got assigned a suite which was fantastic size for staying at Tokyo

We were very happy with what we got with the suite upgrade, a cert well spent if you ask me!

Sensōji

Gojūnoto

Ladies need their shopping time at Ginza

After getting hungry and it was just about lunch time, why not head to Tsukiji
If its anything my dad likes more, its car and good food.

Tsukiji Market was closed because of New Years

But don’t get too drunk prior to coming

First some fresh salt-water cooked oyster

Then some sushi and sashimi, don’t get too fat and fall off that window

Part 7 Continues Below
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

After that wonderful meal, dad heads back to the Hyatt to rest up, while Mom and I keep on going to places

Yasukuni Shrine, not entirely sure if it’s appropriate for me considering the prior history

They did however have tasty vendors,

After a quick venture to Meiji Shrine, back to Roppongi to grab Dad and off to Shibuya for dinner

These would definitely be illegal back home

Then finally off to enjoy Shinjuku for the rest of the night,

I’ll have the save the partying for another trip

I had to take a photo of this in Japan, Mods, please delete the pic if found inappropriate

Naughty Japanese School Girl outfits!!!!

Part 7 Continues Below

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.