Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A visit to FRA, VIE, ZRH and CDG back in Spring 09 (mostly pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A visit to FRA, VIE, ZRH and CDG back in Spring 09 (mostly pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:08 am
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Salut Paris

Paris - just hearing the name fills my heart with excitement and anticipation. We all have a favorite place in the world, whether it is as close as home or someplace far away at the other side of the world. For me, Paris is it.

My infatuation started at an early age when I was a kid learning French in 7th grade private school back in Costa Rica. I often tried to imagine what it would be like to be there, walking through the historic places and sampling the food. Later on, I was fortunate enough to indulge in those early yearnings and do much more. I have been lucky to experience different aspects of this wonderful city ranging from stays at top deluxe properties in exclusive districts to 1 start properties tucked away in local neighborhoods away from the tourists. Each one of these visits has been rewarding and allowed me to see an unique side of this multifaceted city.

One of my fondest memories was when I stayed in a little known hotel in the Left bank by rue Alesia. I used to wake up by dawn and walk around the area transfixed by the locals in their morning rituals. I really cherish this time of the day because it lets me get acquainted with a new place away from the people and noise, allowing for a more intimate discovery. There is something magical about being in synch with a city "waking up" with its people - the aroma of fresh bread wafting from a nearby bakery, the cleaner sweeping the streets, children getting ready for school, merchants setting up their wares at the local markets. When I savor moments like these then I can say that I am living every minute of my life fully.

Hotel Le Grand Intercontinental

Undoubtedly the Le Grand Paris is one of the brightest stars of the Intercontinental collection. Its splendid architecture with every minute detail is a visual delight that never ceases to amaze. Rooms are sumptously decorated in Empire style reflecting the opulent and historic heritage of this landmark property. Once I arrived at the hotel the check-in was done quickly and professionally. I was upgraded to what appears to have been a junior suite. The welcome gift consisting of cookies and Fauchon chocolates were placed on a table already.

Lobby

Check-In Desk

Stairs

Room

Separate toilet

Bathroom

Welcome gift

Last edited by aw; Jun 7, 2010 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:01 am
aw
Original Poster

Why I love Paris

I'd like to take a pause to thank all who have taken the time to read this report and especially the members below for commenting.

Snod08
N830MH
mymflyer
IAMORGAN
LH738
MatthewLAX
UA_Flyer
RyanOKC

And now on with the show....

The city of lovers

or loners

They say that you never forget your "first". This hotel used to be called L'Orangerie where I stayed the first time I arrived in Paris. It was a 3 stars hotel and the floor of the bathroom tended to get completely wet whenever I showered because there was not a real partition separating the bathing area from the rest of the bathroom. It was quite an opening experience for me back then. On that first night I walked endlessly absorbing the sights and sounds of the city until the wee hours of the morning.

Fusion of French and Japanese elements in Sadaharu Aoki's creations

Canal Saint Martin

Interior of St. Augustine church

La Madeleine church

Port Dauphine metro

Institute du Monde Arabe

CDG RER station

Last edited by aw; Jun 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Fantastic photos! ^
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:27 am
aw
Original Poster

Flying back home

Thanks sobore.

Returning on AA comfortably in J

CDG is not a user friendly airport and if you have a short connection here you better say your prayers. I arrived 2 hours before my flight with plenty of time to spare and soon I was standing in line at the AA check-in counter. The Business Class line was not too bad and the agent checking me in was efficient and quick. I must also thank our member Carfield for his generosity because he sponsored me an upgrade to fly in J today.

Since my final destination was SFO I was reminded to claim my bag in MIA and re-check it. On your next trip with AA if someone reminds you to claim your bags at the first point of entry into the US on your way somewhere else domestically, you can thank me for that. Some of you know that I worked for AA for two years right after college. It was my first job in the real world and I used to be very analytical about things. I was assigned to work with international flights and I noticed that often there was a huge amount of luggages left behind from connecting passengers that failed to claim them at the end of the day. Eventually I submitted a proposal to AA headquarters to advise passengers through our front line contact employees (reservations, office or airport agents) of this requirement in the hopes of achieving operational efficient and saving costs. To my surprise my idea was accepted through "IdeAAs in Action" and implemented as company policy.

I was given an invitation to the Admirals Club and soon I was on my way to security. The two officers checking passports were painfully slow and the line was getting long. Once I passed through security I was asked to re-do it one more time and what a hassle that was. The security people were abrupt and in a hurry so that compounded to the frustration felt by everyone. The icing on the cake was when they decided to go through every single item of my carry-on and asked me to turn on the cameras and check the batteries inside. What a pain in the rear! I found relief in the anticipation of relaxing inside the sanctuary of the Admirals Club after this ordeal.

Admirals Club

The club is located in Terminal 2A in the satellite between gates A37 and A39 on the lower floor connected to the terminal by a long corridor. The agents working at the desk were very friendly and welcoming. From here there are two main sitting areas located on either side. The left side was busier and most of the food offerings consisting of morning pastries, pretzels, nuts, cherries in alcohol and tortilla chips were placed on a counter. Later on sandwiches were brought out from the kitchen.

I secluded myself on the right side where it was nearly empty and helped myself to some goodies. The sitting areas were tastefully decorated with plenty of pictures in B&W showcasing Parisian classic sites.

The picture in the foreground reminds me of a picture that I took of the Eiffel Tower.

My version

Tidbits

AA 41 CDG-ORD
763 - Dept. 1215P
J/C - Seat 6D

I collected myself and headed to go the gate ready to board my flight. From a distance I could see the silver plane through the rain saturated windows on this wintry day. A flight attendant greeted me and I settled on 6D. There were a lot of empty seats around me and by the time the door closed the front cabin was probably 50% full. It was going to be a great flight.

The crew today was amicable and chatty. Amenity kits were already placed on the seats and FA's came around with a tray of champagne, orange juice or water. After take off menus were distributed.

My plane from a distance

Menu

To Start
Warm mixed nuts OR Marinated cheese antipasto

Appetizer
Grilled shrimp, hot-smoked salmon and poached white fish mousseline, served with chervil cream cheese sauce and fresh lemon

Salad
Fresh seasonal greens and an assortment of fresh vegetables offered with blue cheese dressing OR Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads offered with butter or Sapori d'Arte olive oil

Main Couse
Beef Fillet
Seared fillet of beef served with porcini mushroom butter and bordelaise sauce, diced yellow peppers, haricots verts, baby carrots and olive oil potatoes

Chicken Provencal
Herbed breast of chicken Provencal accented by a wild mushroom reduction, served with green beans and wild rice

Parsley Cheese Crusted Salmon
Parsley cheese crusted salmon served with Riesling sauce, onion, bell pepper and risotto timbale

Cheese Tortelloni
Delicate cheese filled tortelloni in a rich mascarpone sauce

Dine Upon Request
You may choose one of the featured entrees to be served with an appetizer and dessert, presented all at once, at any time you wish

Dessert
Ice cream sundae - Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans

A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with flavorful dried fruit and assorted crackers

To Finish
Assorted chocolates

Mid-Flight Snack
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with flavorful dried fruit and assorted crackers OR assorted snacks items are also available

Light Meal

Uno's Four Cheese and Pesto Pizza - A traditional deep dish pizza with a mozzarella, Muenster, Romano and feta cheese blend, basil pesto and plum tomatoes accompanied by a green salad

Turkey sandwich - Sliced turkey breast served warm on a kalamata olive ciabatta roll topped with Swiss cheese and roasted eggplant coated in tomato sauce, accompanied by a green salad with olive oil vinaigrette

Dessert
Fresh fruit or cookies, freshly baked on board

Beverage Menu

Champagne
Nicolas Feiullatte Brut Reserve Particuliere

White Wines
Pascal Jolivet Sancerre
Joseph Drouhin Rully Chardonnay

Red Wines
Chateua Lynch-Moussas
Domaine Cazes, l'Ostal Cazes Estibals, Minervois

Sherry
Emilio Lustau Sherry

Dessert Wine
Graham's 20 Years Old Tawny Port

Cocktail service

Appetizer

Salad

Salmon entree

Dessert

Chocolates

Mid-Flight Snack

Light Meal

The flight was uneventful and FA's really worked hard to make this a pleasant flight. During the second meal, one of them even encouraged me to try the cookies but I had to refuse since I was full. AA's catering is OK but there is room for improvement. Instead of having a choice between warm nuts or marinated cheese with your cocktail beverage, it would be preferable to offer a choice for appetizers instead. The repetition of the cheese plate after the dessert and its reincarnation as a mid-flight snack lacks creativity and the same can be said of the second meals. AA needs to introduce more variety in its repertoire. The seats feel somewhat restrictive and one major disadvantage is that whoever ends up in a window seat would be "trapped". It's impossible to get out without disturbing your neighbor.

I hope you enjoy browsing through this report and thank you all for taking the time to visit.

Last edited by aw; Jun 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:53 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Great TR aw really enjoyed it and great pics of the flights and destinations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.