Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A visit to FRA, VIE, ZRH and CDG back in Spring 09 (mostly pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 2:25 am
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage

It took me more than a year to post this report so instead of writing it I have decided to show it through pictures since some of the information might be obsolete.

It's interesting to see how life takes its turns because back in April 2009 when I took this trip I never expected to become an AA EXP at the end of that year. I was a regular AAdvantage member and was content to just sign up for a challenge in order to become Gold after the trip. Then the DEQM promotion came and the rest is history.

I had an opportunity to sample several carriers on this trip. I flew AA on the transatlantic segments (Y on the outbound and J on the return), and used HG, LX and AF for the intra-European routes.

SFO-FRA via ORD

The SFO-ORD portion was on a S80 and it was full. I felt like a sardine in a can and wanted the flight to be over ASAP. I sampled the BOB menu and purchased an Asian wrap. To my surprise it was fresh and tasted fine.

When I arrived in ORD I walked like a zombie and took some shots of AA planes. I then proceeded to the gate and boarded the 763 that took me to FRA. Fortunately it was not a full with plenty of vacant seats around. I headed to the back and claimed a row of 3 seats in the middle for myself. There were a couple of military guys in uniform who also appreciated the vacancy of this flight.

Dinner was served about 45 minutes after take off and the choices were chicken or beef lasagna. I asked for both and the FA obliged. The chicken with its buttery potatoes was far more tasty than the bland lasagna. One thing that I dislike is the pre-packgd dessert instead of a piece of pastry or cake. That is just cheap IMHO.

Asian wrap

At least one can see the list of ingredients - no surprises here

AA @ ORD

Little brother next to big brother

My 763 to FRA

Beef lasagna

Chicken

Breakfast - at least the croissant was warm

Upon arrival into FRA I took the S-bahn to the city and the following day I did some sightseeing. I enjoy connecting through FRA because it seems pretty straightfoward to me, unlike other cities like LHR or CDG.

FRA Airport

FRA sights

To be continued with the Fly Niki experience FRA-VIE and Intercontinental VIE.

Last edited by aw; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:27 am
Old May 30, 2010, 11:51 am
aw
Original Poster

Smile Niki to FRA and the Intercontinental VIE

HG 8773 FRA - VIE
A320 - Dept. 1915
Y/C - Seat 24A

I was excited about this trip because it meant a double treat. I get a kick out of flying on a new airline and go to a city that I have never visited before. The ride back to the airport was a breeze and pretty soon I was in T2 to check in for my flight. I used the Air Berlin kiosk and my boarding pass was printed quickly. It even allowed me to change seats so I selected an EMER exit row.

Boarding was efficiently performed by two agents and passengers were directed to take a bus because the plane was parked in a remote area. Fine with me since I have never been one to complain about a little bit of exercise. Besides, as a plane spotter this will afford me the chance to take a more intimate look at the airport operations and see some planes up close. The only time that I would complain about taking the bus to the plane is when it rains.

The bus pulled towards the metallic beast ready to engulf its willing passengers through the front and back. I must add that this definitely expedited the boarding process. Upon entering the aircraft I was greeted by the charming crew who actually smiled at people and the interior looked spotless. However, upon closer inspection I found out that the pitch was a bit tight for my liking and I was glad that I switched to an EMER exit seat. The crew consisted of about 4 girls and 1 guy (awfully young I must say, they seemed like kids out of college). The service was impeccable and professional with plenty of smiles. I ordered a chicken paprika meal online and it was delivered quickly along with drinks. The meal was tasty and hot contained inside a take out box catered by Demel. This is perhaps the best BOB meal I have had. Later on, I was provided with a "double decker" sandwich as part of the normal catering. Not too shabby at all.

The metallic beast

The charming crew - sorry for the blurry image, did not want to appear obvious

Nothing beats an EMER exit seat. Notice the printed BOB menus on the seat pockets.

The excellent BOB Chicken Paprika with spatzle and creme fraiche

Double decker sandwich - Mortadella and Tuna

Last edited by aw; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:28 am
Old May 30, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Nice! keep it coming!
Old May 30, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Very good! Keep'em coming try to write more TR.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: 1K MM
Thank you for the great pictures
Old May 31, 2010, 3:19 pm
aw
Original Poster

INTERCONTINENTAL VIENNA

From afar the Intercontinental Vienna looks like a modern and soulless building in the middle of the city. Its greatest advantage is the location -well centered opposite Stadtpark and a few steps from the subway station. The atmosphere of the lobby can be described as old world charm and the rooms are well appointed in soft pastel colors.

As an Ambassador member, I was upgraded to a Deluxe room with seating area and paronamic view. The welcome gift made up of two fruits and Mozart balls was already placed on a stand inside the room. The Club lounge was located on the 12th floor and provided a sizeable breakfast buffet in the morning with decent snacks throughout the day. Although the food later on during the day was of high quality, it did not compared to the hearty display of its other sister properties (Budapest and Cologne comes to mind). If you want to check your emails, there are two computers inside the lounge. Overall I had a pleasant if not memorable stay at this property.

The Intercontinental VIE from the outside

Lobby area

The room

Welcome gift

The Club Lounge

Beef Goulash

Horseradish Spaetzle

Last edited by aw; Jun 3, 2010 at 10:32 am
Old May 31, 2010, 11:42 pm
aw
Original Poster

Glimpses of VIE

Love is in the air

Abracadabra!

DEMEL pastries

Last edited by aw; Jun 3, 2010 at 9:46 am
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Great report so far. I like the look of Nikki! I must say that VIE is one of my favourite European cities, and I actually really like the InterConti -although I'd agree that the exterior makes it look more like a Travelodge in Birmingham (UK).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Wonderful pictures & report. I'm looking forward to the next parts.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:04 pm
aw
Original Poster

Goodbye to VIE and Hello to ZRH

Bidding farewell to VIE

Back in early 2009 I came across a $130 RT all incl. fare from VIE-ZRH. I had a choice between OS or LX but chose the latter due to schedule convenience. Besides, there was not much difference in terms of catering between these two carriers for a flight of this length. I was flying in the back so I was not expecting much - except maybe a sandwich or something similar, which is way more than what one would get (a free non alcoholic drink provided there is no turbulence) on a comparable domestic US flight. This has not been the norm in the past, though. I still remember vividly receiving a snack box with some chicken pieces and other savouries and a full can of drink on a LAX-SFO flight on US Airways in the early 90's.

VIE airport is a strange one for me. I find it a bit chaotic and very aesthetically challenged compared to other European airports. As a matter of fact, it seemed stuck in the 80's begging for a drastic makeover. Security is actually conducted at the gates which is a bit unusual. Did I mention the stores inside popping out everywhere like a bacteria colony and assaulting your senses? At times I experienced the sensation of being inside a maze and playing "Where is Waldo?".

Despite these peculiarities, I took time to admire the airplanes around this airport and captured some fine specimen.

The players at VIE

LX 1570 VIE-ZRH
A320? - Dept. 1435
Y/C - 27C

Swiss is a quality airline and I looked forward to trying its Y intra-European product. The only other time that I have flown with it was in F from MIA-ZRH and J from ZRH-ARN in 2000. I was not dissapointed. The flight turned out to be a pleasure with friendly and efficient service. A small chocolate bundt cake was given with your choice of drink and I even scored a set of playing cards when I went to the back galley inquiring for some souvenirs.

Nice finishing touch on every LX flight (they are not Sprungli but it's the thought that counts - an A for effort)

Once I landed in ZRH I took the train to the city center and walked to the Marriott hotel. The property is located within the city but it is about 5 minutes walk from the train station away from town. It is a classical business hotel with full amenities. This visit marked my second time in ZRH and I was glad to return in order to get reacquainted with it. I must say that it is not the most affordable city in Europe. As a matter of fact, it could be prohibitively expensive, but it is quite livable. The sense of safety, order and cleanliness are unmatched, not to mention the beautiful scenery complemented by a high level of service and consistency in all aspects of business. This would be a close second choice in my list after Paris for places to live in Europe.

Exterior of hotel (photo copyr. courtesy of Marriott website)

Hotel room

View from my room

Last edited by aw; Jun 3, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The IC in Vienna looks great.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:15 pm
aw
Original Poster

Beautiful Zurich

to be continued with Paris...my favorite city in the world.

Last edited by aw; Jun 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Hi aw!

Thanks for your wonderful photo trip report.

You visited several places in VIE I did back in Apriil. I also did ZRH last year and did a trip report here, but unfortunately I was really sick on that trip and did not take many photos nor see much of the city.

Excellent photos...probably had something to to do with the water we drank (or the Cuban Pastries we ate)back in South Florida. Sorry! a littel inside joke here.

Hope to see more trip report (and photos) from you.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CO OnePass, ANA Mileage Club, DL Skymiles, UA Mileage Plus
Glad you decided to share with us. Nice TR!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:37 am
aw
Original Poster

On my way to Paris

My trip to Paris took me via VIE where I stayed for a couple of extra days. I used my AF's Flying Blue miles for a one way tkt and paid about $64 in taxes - not bad at all for intra-European travel.

LX 1578 ZRH-VIE
A320 - Dept. 1250P
Y/C - Seat 14C

After a short ride on the train, I arrived at the airport with plenty of time for my flight. ZRH is a great airport and I enjoy using it on every trip, whether it is final destination or a connecting one. I find it user friendly, clearly marked and spotlessly clean.

LX @ ZRH

Boarding started about 30 minutes before departure and it was going to be a full flight. I saw a FA pass by with a basket of toys distributing them to children onboard. After take off FA's offered beverages and a tuna sandwich. There was also a vegetarian option only if you asked for it. Before descending, a round of chocolates were offered along with wet napkins and Swiss mix from J.

AF 1439 VIE-CDG
A320 - Dept. 11:30
Y/C - Seat 8C

KL does the check-in for AF in VIE but judging by the slow line I decided to use one of the generic kiosks nearby to issue my boarding pass. These kiosks are used by different airlines and the pass is printed on a flimsy white paper.

Boarding was done orderly and once again, it was a full flight. There were 4 FA's onboard that provided an efficient and friendly service. I noticed that their names on the badges were covered with a red tape with the word "security" placed on it. A light cold lunch was served consisting of a salad made of aubergines and cheese, baguette, piece of cake and a square of dark chocolate.

It's always interesting to see how much more passengers flying on overseas carriers get compared to their US counterparts. If European carriers can provide this minimum of catering, why can't US carriers give out a small bag of nuts? At one point, I have heard that even OS followed the US model and did not offer any catering in Y on short/medium intra European flights. Even drinks were for sale except for water. Complaints soared and eventually this draconian policy was dropped.

Last edited by aw; Jun 7, 2010 at 12:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.